Rico was left on IR even tho he was healthy

Mr_437

Reaction score
Confirmation of what was known last season just hope Rico used his time wisely.

NotForLong

Reaction score
For what? Not bringing him back from IR when he was healthy? The is no rule you have to bring anyone back from IR. You can but you aren’t required to
Many a rule has manifested into reality when charged against the Cowbous

stiletto

Reaction score
I have little to no doubt they were hiding the guy from what I saw in pre-season last year. They just wanted him to get a little more learning time. I look for him to be on our 53 now that Witten is retired...would be shocked if he wasn't.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Sounds to me like he is down on the depth chart after being buried last season. I can understand why he would not be happy after he played well last preseason.

And I love how many of you who hate Garrett, Jones, and think they could not boil water much less make roster decisions and at the same time see Rico in the wrong here.

He looks like he has trained well and is good physical condition. He's just uncertain about his future. Hopefully that serves as motivation for him and he plays his *** off. Let me know when he screws up on the field or misses practices/workouts.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Jason Witten skips over you to talk about the young TE the team added to the active roster in your place, that tells me everything I need to know about your likely longevity as a Cowboys TE.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Why? Witten is gone and the TE spot is wide open. Personally I don't think there is another team that has a position at TE that's so wide open...... Maybe chargers since they just lost Henry for the year. I expect Gates to resign though

Probably because he wanted to play and was frustrated because he had to sit instead of getting in practice and maybe (but probably not) playing time where he could be learning more by experience. Yes, the situation is better for him now but I don't fault the guy for wanting to get out there and possibly being a little ticked that being healthy and not playing might have set him back development-wise. A player only has so long in the NFL and talent margins are razor thin so you want opportunity as early as possible from their perspective to have a longer career and make more money. His statements might be a poorly-veiled "get me in there or let me go somewhere else" request but honestly, I don't blame him with this staff's history. To me, it's better than not caring at all. You want players who want to play and he's trying to guarantee a chance any way he can, whether here or not here. Not mad at him for that.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
You know what concerns me about Rico is that the hit that took him out for the season really didn't look like that hard of a hit.
That is my concern with him plus his speed he is slower than Witten on Witten"s worst day Speed is not everything but if you can not take a hit you have problems in the NFL

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until recent years there was no option for a player to return from IR.

If a player is on PUP then they are expected to return if healthy after the PUP wait period is over.

They now have a rule allowing 2 players to return from IR; however, that is just something teams are allowed to do but is not a requirement.

If teams were forced to use the two return from IR spots on players when healthy, it would defeat the purpose of the rule. It would mean the 1st two healthy players use up the return from IR spots.

The purpose of the rule was to allow teams to have the option of two players returning. The rule was not designed to force players to return if healthy.

The only questionable issues about players on IR are:
1: Is he legitimately unable to play at the time of being placed on IR?

2: How long will he be unable to play? The requirement is that the player will be out for more than 6 weeks based on Doctor's estimates.

The penalty for violating the rules is that the team would be forced to releaase the player.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
How does this affect Rico Gathers having been on IR for all of the 2017 season, even though some writer recently wrote that Rico was fully recovered from injury by Week 7... but was still kept on IR the whole season?

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
How does this affect Rico Gathers having been on IR for all of the 2017 season, even though some writer recently wrote that Rico was fully recovered from injury by Week 7... but was still kept on IR the whole season?
I think he answered that very question.

Basically as long as he wasn't expected to be healthy enough for 6 weeks to return, you can place him in IR. There is no requirement to bring him out of IR even if he is healthy enough to. Rico was not healthy for 6 weeks by his own admission so really nothing to see here

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
When Jason Witten skips over you to talk about the young TE the team added to the active roster in your place, that tells me everything I need to know about your likely longevity as a Cowboys TE.
Who cares what Witten or this staff think. My eyes don't deceive me. This team has shown me many times that politics are more important than actual ability.