FEATURED ***** RIP John Madden *****

RS12

Reaction score
Icon, legend, RIP and thanks for the memories.

Zman5

Reaction score
It feels like it was only yesterday that I watched the holy roller game. I remember my dad screaming "How can they allow that?". One of my few early memories of watching football.

RIP Coach Madden.

lurkercowboy

Reaction score
Madden stood head and shoulders above the other announcers and commentators when he first started. For example, he would often tell what a penalty was before the referees call based on which official threw the flag or what area of the field it was. This is commonplace now, but not then. He also talked and explained about the intricacies of line play more than other commentators, but he was such a good communicator it was accessible to the average fan. A great ambassador for the NFL and the soundtrack for many great Cowboy games. I only wish he could have done a Dallas super bowl. RIP Coach.

RaZon

Reaction score
Classic

madden-stabler-leiferjpg.jpg

Beaker42

Reaction score
Thanks for the memories Coach. You were a joy to listen to and I know you’re calling games in Heaven starting tomorrow.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He and Pat Summerall were my favorite broadcasters!! RIP Coach Madden!!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/28/john-madden-football-legend-dies-at-85/

John Madden, a legendary figure known to one generation as a Hall of Fame coach, another generation as the sport’s greatest announcer, and yet another generation for the video game that bears his name, has died at the age of 85.

The NFL announced Madden’s passing today.

Madden’s influence on the sport of football is impossible to overstate. He was the youngest head coach in pro football when Al Davis hired him to coach the Oakland Raiders, and he led them to a Super Bowl title while having so much success that he still has the all-time highest winning percentage among all coaches who won at least 100 games.

But as great a coach as he was, he did more for the sport after he retired for coaching. In the broadcasting booth, Madden became a sensation, not just the best broadcaster in football but one of the most popular figures in America, as famous as any movie star but as down-to-earth as any guy you’d talk about sports with at the barbershop. Everyone loved him.

And then Madden had his video game, which he didn’t just lend his name to but took an active role in developing, always insisting that it needed to be as realistic as possible. The youngest generation of football fans that can’t even remember him as a broadcaster, let alone as a coach, is still influenced by Madden’s giant presence in the sport.

Even in the final years of his life, Madden had an important role in the NFL, advising the league and advocating for rule changes that would protect players from brain injuries.

John Madden may have been the single most influential person in the history of the sport of football.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He is the analyst voice of many of our football fandoms. Always knew it was a big game when you heard him and Pat Summerall. Now, they are reunited in heaven. RIP
Really enjoyed his Announcing.
He was with fox and did the Cowboys in their 1990s heyday

John813

Reaction score
Still has me bummed out.

As other posters have stated, not only was he a great coach and commentator, he could explain complex football items in simple ways. And he was just a natural alongside Pat and Al all those years when it came to talking about football. A true genuine love for the game.

Could be breaking down a play and then the next series he's giddy and excited and would say one of his famous phrases.

Nfl lost a legend.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The best ever. Changed the broadcast game. You could tell how much he loved the game with his enthusiasm and let it fly. Kudos to the networks for not stifling that because we all benefitted.

Praxit

Reaction score
....just saw all the Madden game covers. None ever featured Dallas. Kinda surprised.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
He was an all pro at whatever he did. I was a Oakland raider fan back when he was coaching.
He probably would have won 2 superbowl's, if not for franco's miracle catch.
He also did commercials, and wrote some books. Had a pretty good life. Time gets us all.