FEATURED ***** RIP John Madden *****

Plankton

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/12/29/remembering-john-madden-mentoring-coaches

Great article from Albert Breer about Madden's coaching subcommittee:

The official name of it is the “coaches subcommittee,” and anything you find from the NFL will officially list it as such, but you wouldn’t know that talking to the men who served on it.

To them, it was the Madden committee.

John Madden chaired it, and every last coach in the group cherished being a part of it, so that’s how they referred to it. They did that in reverence to Madden. They did that out of pride for their opportunity to work with him. They did that, most of all, because it really was his group.

“One hundred percent,” Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Tuesday night. “I probably wouldn’t have even done it, except it was the Madden committee, and Andy [Reid] was on it. For me, Andy was a big part of it. But beyond that, it was like, it’s the Madden committee. You can’t say no to John Madden. And then once you got on there, he was like the mother goose with her ducklings. Like he’d be walking into the room, and then we’d all be waddling in behind him, all five or six of us.

“We had it all organized: This is our case; this is what we’re going to say. John, you’re going to say this. Andy, you’re gonna talk about that; this is the tape we’re gonna show. Ron [Rivera], have you got your tape organized? And then when you say this, I’m gonna come in, and I’m going to make this point. He had it all strategized out like a game plan, and we’d walk in and try to do our role and not screw it up for him, you know?

“And if anybody ever asks, I do say, It’s the Madden committee.”

Reactions: BAT

plasticman

Reaction score
Most know him as an announcer or for the iconic Madden Football franchise.

Once upon a time he was an NFL coach.

In fact, John Madden has the highest winning percentage for an NFL Head Coach in history.

In his ten years as head Coach for the Oakland Raiders, he never had a losing season. The Raiders went to the conference championship seven times. They went to the Super Bowl twice with one victory.

John Madden should be remembered as one of the best HC's in NFL history before they discuss his contributions to TV and electronic game media.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
RIP John Madden, great coach, best announcer and an all around great person. You will be missed.

Big_D

Reaction score
Probably the most important ambassador to the NFL. Great coach, great analyst and his football smarts and love for the game were infectious. There's no one more worthy of the video game franchise and he will certainly be missed. He definitely brought that certain something to every thing he did. RIP Coach! Sad day for the NFL and also for Raider nation.

shabazz

Reaction score
Most know him as an announcer or for the iconic Madden Football franchise.

Once upon a time he was an NFL coach.

In fact, John Madden has the highest winning percentage for an NFL Head Coach in history.

In his ten years as head Coach for the Oakland Raiders, he never had a losing season. The Raiders went to the conference championship seven times. They went to the Super Bowl twice with one victory.

John Madden should be remembered as one of the best HC's in NFL history before they discuss his contributions to TV and electronic game media.

I may be wrong but wasn’t it said that he only lost 32 games in 10 years? I apologize if this isn’t the case

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Rest In Peace Big Fella!!!
One of my all time favorites, was just talking about him with some friends last week.
There will never be another.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Just about all the announcers I enjoyed listening to growing up who did a lot of Cowboys games are gone. Tom Brookshier, Pat Summerall, Frank Glieber and John Madden. The only one who’s still around is Verne Lundquist.

shabazz

Reaction score
103 wins
32 losses
7 ties

I thought one of the talking heads on a sports network said it was 32 losses which is insanely good so I thought I misheard it……averaging only 3 losses a year is impressive