Rising stars, core stars and exiting stage left

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As we begin to sift through the end of this season and look forward to next season, here’s an early assessment of our roster for next year. Who’s a rising star, who the core is and who will probably be leaving.

Rising Stars (young stars still rising)
1. Leighton Vander Esch- he’s 21 and maybe the cornerstone of a great D for years to come.
2. Michael Gallup- came on like gangbusters late in season. He's a solid #2 receiver and still improving.
3. Jaylon Smith- became what we hoped he would be and he’s still getting better.
4. Amari Cooper- can’t believe he’s just 24. A stud we must sign.
5. Dorrance Armstrong- a surprisingly good 4th rounder who I think will emerge as a possible starter in 2019.

Faithful Core Stars (Players the team is committed to and built around)
1. Ezekiel Elliott- best player on the team
2. DeMarcus Law-sign the man
3. Dak Prescott- he needs a lot of coaching, and yes, he’s not great. But you can win with him.
4. Zack Martin- best G in NFL
5. Byron Jones- now a star at CB- can we keep him?
6. Travis Frederick- best C in NFL before Barre Syndrome afflicted him- is he still great?
7. Chidobe Awuzie- emerged this year. Solid if not spectacular.
8. Amari Cooper- I listed him above as a rising star because he’s 24, but he’s also part of the core.

Exiting Stage Left-(Players we will say goodbye to in 2019)
1. Cole Beasley- he’s not a top 25 WR in this league and will be 30.
2. Sean Lee- Once the cornerstone of the defense, he can no longer be counted on because of injuries.
3. Damien Wilson- decent LB and ST player who can be replaced in draft for less money.
4. Tyrone Crawford- solid player who’s been a leader. But he’s too expensive and often injured.
5. David Irving- you can’t fix crazy.
6. Brett Maher- anytime the word “unreliable” is associated with a K....
7. Tavon Austin- too expensive, too fragile.
8. Rico “the Legend” Gathers- the future HOFer can’t catch a cold or remember plays.
9. Terrance Williams- who?

Question Marks
1. Tyron Smith- the back injury won’t get better and now has knee and elbow problems. Is he in free fall?
2. Allen Hurns- even before his gruesome injury, he was underwhelming.
3. Geoff Swaim- decent but often hurt
4. Taco Charleton- the bust term is creeping in
5. Randy Gregory- showed flashes of brilliance but is always one drug test away from a ban
6. Blake Jarwin- came on at the end of year. But is he really that good?
7. Jourdan Lewis- is he trade bait or a keeper if we can’t keep Byron Jones?

Who’s on your list? You can’t keep everyone.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm thinking that this is one of the very largest question marks on the team at present:

1. Tyron Smith- the back injury won’t get better and now has knee and elbow problems. Is he in free fall?

Dak Prescott deserves for the outside of the offensive line to be very strong.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we keep Crawford.

He's very well respected by his teammates and is a good (not great) player.

Then there had better be a paycut involved.

If you have the stomach for it, go back and watch that Rams game. Not only was he a complete and total non-factor rushing the passer, he was a huge liability in run defense as well.

Why the team ever lines him up at right defensive end continue to baffle me. It's like they want to play with one hand tied behind their back.

You're right that he's well respected and a team leader, but you have to be able to play as well. I'd like him to be kept around as strictky a rotational guy and be able to retire as a Cowboy, but if it's not at a huge paycut? He's needs to go.

I think his and Sean Lee's situations are similar in that way. Great team guys, but not at these rates.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I like the thread OP. I wouldn't put Dorrance Armstrong there, I haven't noticed him at all. Right now he's at best a question mark, but he's a nobody as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't put Crawford in the exiting stage left. Maybe a question mark, but he isn't going anywhere. I'd like to improve the DL but that doesn't mean he didn't contribute to the Cowboys even making the playoffs.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we keep Crawford.

He's very well respected by his teammates and is a good (not great) player.
I don’t disagree about his being a great teammate. But his age, injuries and cost make him a probable cap casualty.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

If you have the stomach for it, go back and watch that Rams game. Not only was he a complete and total non-factor rushing the passer, he was a huge liability in run defense as well.

Why the team ever lines him up at right defensive end continue to baffle me. It's like they want to play with one hand tied behind their back.

You're right that he's well respected and a team leader, but you have to be able to play as well. I'd like him to be kept around as strictky a rotational guy and be able to retire as a Cowboy, but if it's not at a huge paycut? He's needs to go.

I think his and Sean Lee's situations are similar in that way. Great team guys, but not at these rates.
Crawford’s contract is on par with what he produces. He’s not taking a pay cut and probably shouldn’t.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score

He may have been bad in the Rams game (which DL wasn't), but he absolutely contributed heavily to the winning season. I'd like to improve the position, but that starts with upgrading the interior line as a whole.

John813

Reaction score
Agree with most of the list except for Armstrong on the young stars and Awuzie on list 2.

Wouldn't consider either a star at this stage.

Awuzie is solid, but not someone at this time I would be saying, "we got to re-sign him to a blank check".

The only way Crawford is on this roster next year is with a sizable pay cut.

I will have to disagree for now. He had a good year this year and can play multiple positions.
And as the team stands now, they need him as guys like Irving went AWOL and Taco hasn't produced.
I don't think the team can go to him and play hardball about his contract.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Crawford is the 21st highest paid defensive end and would be the 17th highest paid DT if you consider him that (I do). That's about where he is in the league. Decent starter, but not top 10/15. He's paid what he produces.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Agree with most of the list except for Armstrong on the young stars and Awuzie on list 2.

Wouldn't consider either a star at this stage.

Awuzie is solid, but not someone at this time I would be saying, "we got to re-sign him to a blank check".

Yeah, OP says that in the description. I think the list name including the word "star" is probably off. I'd call it core starters and leave the term star out altogether.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It’s a bit rich to have Dorance Armstrong as a “rising star.” He’s done nothing to deserve that. That doesn’t mean he won’t develop, but he’s done nothing.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Great list! I think Jarwin is our top TE going forward...or can be.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like the thread OP. I wouldn't put Dorrance Armstrong there, I haven't noticed him at all. Right now he's at best a question mark, but he's a nobody as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't put Crawford in the exiting stage left. Maybe a question mark, but he isn't going anywhere. I'd like to improve the DL but that doesn't mean he didn't contribute to the Cowboys even making the playoffs.

I absolutely agree on Armstrong. He didn't produce anything to be placed where he is.

Crawford needs a paycut.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Crawford is the 21st highest paid defensive end and would be the 17th highest paid DT if you consider him that (I do). That's about where he is in the league. Decent starter, but not top 10/15. He's paid what he produces.

In what way is he "paid what he produces"?