Rob Phillips - What's Next for TE?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/what-s-next-for-te-what-jaws-return-means

The Return Of Blake Jarwin

Twenty-five snaps. One catch for 12 yards.

That was Blake Jarwin's entire 2020 season. In the second quarter of the opener against the Rams, he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee and had surgery in early October, lost for the year just a few months after signing a three-year extension worth up to $24.2 million as a projected starter for the first time in his career.

"I think I made a lot of headway in camp and I was headed in the right direction to have a big year. And then things happen," Jarwin said in October on the Miller Lite Cowboys Hour with Brad Sham and Dani Sureck. "It's one of those deals that I'll grow from it."

Jarwin had surgery in early October with the goal of being ready for this year's training camp and season opener. A healthy Jarwin in 2021 means yet another weapon for offensive coordinator Kellen Moore, and an interesting question about the offense's dynamic at this point in the offseason:

How will the offense incorporate two starting-caliber tight ends?

What do you guys think of Blake Jarwin? Should the Cowboys keep him and Schultz? Should the Cowboys trade Jarwin?

In my eyes we are all set at TE. Shultz, Jarwin, and I would love to see them resign the blocking TE from KC.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Oh, Bell? I'd love for us to keep him as well. I think we are set at TE, at least for this year, as well.

Turned out really well actually, getting Jarwin for cheap and then developing Shultz. If we can just get rid of Zeke in a year the Offense will be all done with bad contracts. Maybe Smith as well this year or next year.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Turned out really well actually, getting Jarwin for cheap and then developing Shultz. If we can just get rid of Zeke in a year the Offense will be all done with bad contracts. Maybe Smith as well this year or next year.

Not only that, but there are some mid-late round RBs that we can get to help Pollard.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The strength of this draft is offense. You can get an equivalent defensive player in the 2nd round.
We need a Gronkowski more than we need a 2nd tier defensive player.

Okay, so, I went ahead and did a mock draft on First-Pick with a trade down to see how to keep the draft defence heavy while drafting Pitts. Below is what I came up with (as is standard for my mock drafts, each will carry a video, height/weight, and a brief explanation). In this draft, I got a trade down with the Jaguars who gave me their 25th, 33rd, and 45th overall picks.

Round 1 Pick 25 (JAX): Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida (A+)
, Kyle Pitts 6'6" and 240 lbs. He is an excellent TE.

Round 2 Pick 1 (JAX): Trevon Moehrig, FS/SS, TCU (A-)
, Trevon Moehrig 6'2" and 203 lbs, one of the best safeties in the draft. He fills one of the 3 biggest needs that our team has.

Round 2 Pick 12: Jay Tufele, DT, USC (A-)
, 6'3 and 305 lbs, Massive DT who I consider to be the best DT in the draft. He fixes another of our 3 biggest needs.

Round 2 Pick 13 (JAX): Joseph Ossai, ILB/OLB, Texas (A-)
, 6'4" and 253 lbs. Joseph Ossai is a top LB, and fixes the third of what I see as our 3 biggest needs in the draft. Massive LB, and he stops the run well. Oh, and he hits hard.

Round 3 Pick 11: Richie Grant, FS/SS, Central Florida (A)
, Richie Grant, 6'0 and 194 lbs. Got an absolute steal here in the simulator. He's one of the other top safeties in the draft. We would go from having safety as one of our biggest weaknesses to one of our biggest strengths with Moehrig and Grant back there along with Wilson. What a safety combo that'd be!

Round 3 Pick 35 (COMP): Greg Newsome, CB, Northwestern (A+)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhqgfF9vhXk, Greg Newsome 6'1 and 190 lbs. Solid CB who would fit well on the other side of Diggs. Builds our CB spot into a potential strength as well.

Round 4 Pick 10: Alaric Jackson, OT, Iowa (A+)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaHWGJjDgd0&t=3s, Alaric Jackson 6'6" and 315 lbs. With Tyron Smith fading with his health and La'el Collins missing last season, Alaric Jackson gives us a powerful OT who would have time to develop while also being capable of starting for us. Heavily underrated OT.

Round 4 Pick 33 (COMP): Jermar Jefferson, RB, Oregon State (A+)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhRmH5OgMwM, Jermar Jefferson 5'10" and 216 lbs. Underrated RB who has the look of a player who would be a nice change of pace back for Zeke and Pollard. Also, if Zeke were to get injured (hopefully he doesn't), Jefferson is a player who could start for us. He played well for Oregon State, and I'd like for him to wear a star on his helmet.

Round 5 Pick 34 (COMP): Camryn Bynum, CB, California (A+)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjThom4s0gg&t=17s, Camryn Bynum 6'0" and 200 lbs. Underrated CB who gives us excellent depth. He'd give Anthony Brown a battle in camp. Diggs, Newsome, Bynum, and Brown would give us 4 solid CBs.

Round 6 Pick 8: Adetokunbo Ogundeji, DE/OLB, Notre Dame (A+)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuJ4PZ-j9H0&t=4s, Adetokunbo Ogundeji 6'4" and 269 lbs. He gives us good DE depth behind DLaw and Randy Gregory.

Round 6 Pick 41 (COMP): Tay Gowan, CB, Central Florida (A+)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgFXD_WNt-U&t=42s, Tay Gowan 6'2" and 185 lbs. A bit more depth at CB. Never can have enough CBs.

Round 7 Pick 10: Warren Jackson, WR, Colorado State (A+)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B6ps78-_zA&t=112s, Warren Jackson 6'6" and 219 lbs. Massive WR who gives us a player who can handle the jump ball well.

This is how I see we could make Pitts work while still addressing the major needs that we have to address in the draft, but we'd have to basically draft in a very similar order to this imo. NOT my favourite mock draft that I've done, but we'd have to get basically this lucky for drafting Pitts to work imo. Furthermore, if we ARE going to draft Pitts, then we SHOULD trade Jarwin to try to get the best pick we can for him as he'd be redundant.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Yup, what we NEED is defence. Now, as stated previously, if the FO DOES decide to draft Pitts, which would be stupid imo, we'd need to get basically as lucky as I got in the mock draft above your post with the trade down included for it to work. Also, we'd basically need to trade Jarwin since there's no point keeping him and Schultz if we decide Pitts is our next TE. Otherwise, we need to focus on defence.

exciter

Reaction score
Theres very little blue chip defensive talent in this draft.
If we could get an Aaron Donald I'd be all in.
There will be several defensive players available worthy of the pick. When your defense was as bad as ours was you get one. You don’t spend it on a hybrid TE that’s basically the equivalent of what we already have with Lamb!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There will be several defensive players available worthy of the pick. When your defense was as bad as ours was you get one. You don’t spend it on a hybrid TE that’s basically the equivalent of what we already have with Lamb!

Exactly! The only way that drafting him Pitts works, if we WERE to do that which would be stupid, is if we get a big enough trade down AND trade Jarwin. With that said, there's no point in drafting Pitts, especially with the needs on defence that we have.

Hardline

Reaction score
Lamb cant play TE
Pitts can play TE AND WR.
Two different players

aria

Reaction score
Our defense is fine, we need more offense clearly. Draft Pitts. That would be the complete Jerry thing to do and exactly why we’ve sucked for so long.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
There's not a single defensive player worth picking at 10. Not even close.

I'd go TE, OT, or WR long before I went defense in this draft. The "we need to take a defensive player" is how you end up with Taco.

aria

Reaction score
Number one mistake in drafting
Reaching to fill a need.
Well thankfully that’s worked out well for us so far. What happens if we draft Pitts, zeke gets let go in the off season, we draft #7 next year and the BPA is a RB?

You can’t keep ignoring defense, our offense is loaded already and WR/TE would be the least of our needs on offense anyways. Not to mention, Farley/Parsons/Surtain and maybe even Horn are hardly reaches on defense.