Rob Phillips - What's Next for TE?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Nope. Dallas could not throw the ball last year. When Dak was healthy, the pass defense was considerably worse than the run defense.

Like honestly. Did anybody watch the Titans and Ravens the last two years? Teams do not fear them because they do not care about the run game, because it doesn't lead to points.

When Dak was in, we could throw the ball just fine. We couldn't stop the run and, as you said, we couldn't stop the pass either. That is why we need to focus resources on the DEFENCE! Our DEFENCE was one of the WORST of ALL TIME! Not in the league... OF ALL TIME. I sure hope you don't think that Jaylon Smith and Tyrone Crawford constitute a sufficient defence.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No, they ran because we couldn't score. The run defense wasn't a problem when Dak was healthy.

Before you mention the Browns game, the pass defense was the bigger issue.

Good! Then let's get Farley at 10! He's one of the top CBs in the draft. He can help fix the pass defence.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
When Dak was in, we could throw the ball just fine. We couldn't stop the run and, as you said, we couldn't stop the pass either. That is why we need to focus resources on the DEFENCE! Our DEFENCE was one of the WORST of ALL TIME! Not in the league... OF ALL TIME. I sure hope you don't think that Jaylon Smith and Tyrone Crawford constitute a sufficient defence.
They were fine against the run when Dak was in...Smith stinks and Crawford's a role player. I don't know what that has to do with anything.

Defense is a product of schedule, and the schedule is pretty easy next year, in terms of offenses they're playing against.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Good! Then let's get Farley at 10! He's one of the top CBs in the draft. He can help fix the pass defence.
Slater/Melifonwu >>>>>>> Farley/Eichenburg

The point is that the gap between a corner at #10 and a corner at #44 is pretty insignificant. Considering the fact that tackle is a much more premium position, you're better off getting the better prospect there.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They were fine against the run when Dak was in...Smith stinks and Crawford's a role player. I don't know what that has to do with anything.

Defense is a product of schedule, and the schedule is pretty easy next year, in terms of offenses they're playing against.

Because Smith and Crawford are 2 examples of players on defence that need IMMEDIATE upgrades. The Chiefs and Bucs are NOT easy to play defence again. If we want to win the SB, we need to get better players. We have a new coach, but we also need someone who can stop the run, and an upgrade at CB is needed. Oh, and we haven't properly addressed safety in AGES. But what's another year without a safety? It's not like safety matters to Jerry anyway.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Slater/Melifonwu >>>>>>> Farley/Eichenburg

The point is that the gap between a corner at #10 and a corner at #44 is pretty insignificant. Considering the fact that tackle is a much more premium position, you're better off getting the better prospect there.

Slater would be fine, but I don't like Melifonwu. Especially compared to Aleric Jackson who will be available in late round 3/round 4. Great value there. And part of the reason I'm taking Farley is because Tufele is an EXCELLENT pick up at 44. Imo, he's the best DT in the draft.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Slater would be fine, but I don't like Melifonwu. Especially compared to Aleric Jackson who will be available in late round 3/round 4. Great value there. And part of the reason I'm taking Farley is because Tufele is an EXCELLENT pick up at 44. Imo, he's the best DT in the draft.
You're missing my point, even if you don't like Melifonwu.

Historically, you get a comparable player at corner in the second round to a CB early. There's a huge dropoff in production at the tackle position once you get out of the first round. You're more likely to get two good players taking the OL in the first than trying to get cute with it later.

You're also just hoping that guys are there at 44. There will be a corner, the specific DT and OT you like might not be.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Historically, you get a comparable player at corner in the second round to a CB early. There's a huge dropoff in production at the tackle position once you get out of the first round. You're more likely to get two good players taking the OL in the first than trying to get cute with it later.

You're also just hoping that guys are there at 44. There will be a corner, the specific DT and OT you like might not be.

Well, that's part of the reason I want a trade down really. I think we can get better value to fix more areas with a trade down. I'm just a bit anxious because it's been AGES since we've addressed defence properly. Yes, we got Diggs in round 2 last year, but we MUST get this defence better. Tufele should be there at 44. Tufele fills one of the biggest needs we have. Plus, I really would like to get Moehrig S from TCU. He fills another one of the biggest issues that we have. I highly doubt he's there at 44, and the only other two safeties that I think are worth considering are Grant and Paris Ford. Grant is highly unlikely to be there at round 3, which leaves Paris Ford as our next best option. If not for that, then it's screw our safety position for yet another season because the rest of the safeties in the draft are not good imo. At least not one better than Xavier Woods which is a scary thought imo. This defence was painful to watch last year. I'd say that it couldn't be any worse, but then I'd hate to see how much worse it can be if we don't fix our issues on defence.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
How would drafting a position other than TE automatically mean we would be reaching to fill a need? The Cowboys have a lot of needs, and there likely will be a strong option to fill at least one of them.

Exactly! TE is NOT a need for us. Especially with the WRs that we have. If we DO decide to draft Pitts, which would be stupid, then we better be able to get at least a 2nd round pick for Jarwin because otherwise our defence will be in SEVERE danger of being worse than last year, which is a SCARY thought.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly! TE is NOT a need for us. Especially with the WRs that we have. If we DO decide to draft Pitts, which would be stupid, then we better be able to get at least a 2nd round pick for Jarwin because otherwise our defence will be in SEVERE danger of being worse than last year, which is a SCARY thought.
That's another fair point. With Cooper, Gallup and Lamb we aren't going to have a 1,000 yard, 10+ TD TE, so there is a limit to how much production a TE can have anyway. For what is going to be available for the TE position, between Schultz, Jarwin and Bell TE there is not a problem.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That's another fair point. With Cooper, Gallup and Lamb we aren't going to have a 1,000 yard, 10+ TD TE anyway, so there is a limit to how much production a TE can have anyway. For what is going to be available for the TE position, between Schultz, Jarwin and Bell TE there is not a problem.

Exactly! How exactly does Pitts improve the team when there's only one ball to go around on offense, and we have Coop, Gallup, and Lamb as our STARTING WRs. Then we have our other WRs, Schults, Jarwin, and Bell as other people catching the ball. Oh, and then there's Zeke and Pollard. So, how exactly does adding a TE help us when what we REALLY need is defence and MAYBE an OT in round 1?

kskboys

Reaction score

Holy tamales, I actually agree w/ Future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good take on drafting, BTW.

kskboys

Reaction score
If we draft Pitts, we are officially the stupidest organization in the history of mankind. Pitts does not make us better.

Mr_437

Reaction score
I think the TEs are like the RBs for me where I'd like to see a consistent rotation until someone gets hot...and it's game by game, so Pollard won't ever be looking at a 100 yard game then 3 carries the next game.

Can Kellen Moore figure out how to fit 2 productive TEs in this offense? JG never could and KM hasn't up to this point.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If we draft Pitts, we are officially the stupidest organization in the history of mankind. Pitts does not make us better.

Exactly my point. There's no point to drafting Pitts. We have so many weapons on offense as it is. The ONLY offensive position that makes sense in round 1 for us to take is OT and MAYBE QB depending on where you stand with that debate. Otherwise, you go defence or you trade down and go defence anyway. Personally, I prefer trading down and going defence anyway.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I think the TEs are like the RBs for me where I'd like to see a consistent rotation until someone gets hot...and it's game by game, so Pollard won't ever be looking at a 100 yard game then 3 carries the next game.

Can Kellen Moore figure out how to fit 2 productive TEs in this offense? JG never could and KM hasn't up to this point.

I actually quite like this approach with TE, and it's not like we need that much out of them. We mainly need them to block and be a safety blanket if the other WRs are some how all covered.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Outside of Pitts, there's not a TE in this draft I would even touch in the first two rounds. Not out of the realm of reason that there's only 3-4 guys that are considered Day 1/2 prospects.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Outside of Pitts, there's not a TE in this draft I would even touch in the first two rounds. Not out of the realm of reason that there's only 3-4 guys that are considered Day 1/2 prospects.

And there's no point in us taking Pitts anyway imo.

kskboys

Reaction score
Exactly my point. There's no point to drafting Pitts. We have so many weapons on offense as it is. The ONLY offensive position that makes sense in round 1 for us to take is OT and MAYBE QB depending on where you stand with that debate. Otherwise, you go defence or you trade down and go defence anyway. Personally, I prefer trading down and going defence anyway.
I would love to trade our 1st this year for multiple picks next draft. Any way you slice it, we are not going to be super bowl contenders in 2021. Be nice if we could play smart for once and get draft assets.