Twitter: Rob Ryan on E:60 says Jerry and Stephen trust the wrong people *vid Post #13*

Zman5

Reaction score
Jerry's childhood buddies. I am curious if Stephen has any people like this.

I'm sure Stephen has some "fooball" buddies that gets to ride with him on the Cowboys' party bus.

I didn't realize how close Lacewell, Switzer, Jimmy and Jerry all were until I watched Jimmy Johnson A Football Life piece.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
Ryan is just saying the same thing that others have said. I have heard the same from (directly) clients I have who deal with the Jones Family. Its not like its a big shocking news. They aren't good as talent evaluators (nor do they put the time in to actually be one) and they rely on the group think approach. Jerry is the only one who won't admit he isn't a talent scout guy.

When they have an alpha personality that can dominate their war room, they listen, when they don't they reach randomly. Its a clear pattern over 20 years now.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm sure Stephen has some "fooball" buddies that gets to ride with him on the Cowboys' party bus.

I didn't realize how close Lacewell, Switzer, Jimmy and Jerry all were until I watched Jimmy Johnson A Football Life piece.

Parcells has a tremendous amount of respect for Stephen and I think that he tends more to that side of thinking than Lacewell and Switzer. Parcells kicked out Lacewell and Switzer and they brought in Ireland.

I would guess that Stephen has people that he trusts but who is to say what those men's character is and who they are. Will McClay?

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I wonder who he's talking about. Seems like we're doing ok so far. With that said I don't hate Rob Ryan he was done dirty here so I can see some resentment from his part.

Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt for a second that there are advisor/friends in Jerry's management circle that should have been long gone by now, but an occasional playoff appearance every decade seems to keep the fans "on the hook" and Jerry happy... so why blow-up a good thing?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Anyone disagree? I don't I think that's been obvious. But hopefully there has been a change and now that's starting to show. I do wonder who they keep talking about?

Jerry Jones.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger folks...........................Rob Ryan is not saying anything that most of us have not thought was the case for some time now.

I am 100% convinced that Jerry and Steven want to win more than anything and that there are people giving them advice that really shouldn't be.................as others have said, Larry Lacewell is the first guy to come to mind.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't shoot the messenger folks...........................Rob Ryan is not saying anything that most of us have not thought was the case for some time now.

I am 100% convinced that Jerry and Steven want to win more than anything and that there are people giving them advice that really shouldn't be.................as others have said, Larry Lacewell is the first guy to come to mind.

That is why I asked, is he really lying? I don't think so.

black label

Reaction score
Bart Hubbuch‏@BartHubbuch 4m4 minutes ago
Wow, Rob Ryan tells ESPN the Cowboys are mediocre because Jerry Jones "surrounds himself with some people he trusts who aren't trustworthy."
Rob Ryan tells ESPN's E:60 that there are "people [within the Cowboys] that are in power that shouldn't be" advising Jerry & Stephen Jones.
Rob Ryan tells ESPN Jerry/Stephen Jones "want to do what's right -- they actually do -- but they don't ... they're just not getting it yet."

---------------

UZgRPQA.jpg

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
BTW I bet he is talking about Garrett who I bet he has absolutely no use for.

I'd love it to be about Garrett but I don't see the Jones's as leaning on Garrett for his opinion on the firing of Rob Ryan.....though its possible. I'd like for it to be true that they hold Garrett's opinion that high.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care what Rob Ryan thinks.

But I don't think he's wrong here, fundamentally. Who was it that said you have to get to Jerry last because he's going to believe the last credible person who makes a case to him? That stuff has to be going on in the room all the time.

Now, I think it's pretty clear we've gotten a better handle on that under Jason, but it's far from perfect still.

And, if I'm guessing, I think Ryan's comments here are more personal, and that they're related to the decision to switch back to a 4-3 defense that's simpler to staff and prepare under the new CBA.

arglebargle

Reaction score
Yes well this guy was begging for carr and Claiborne . That's all you need to know .

In fact that's why he got fired.jerry got him what he wanted and he still had a crap defense

Yep, I recall Ryan calling for 'More DBs! More DBs!' and after getting them, his defenses folded. They got hammered by injury, true, but Ryan had no contingency plans.

I personally think that Ryan was not even fourth or fifth on the list of preferred defensive coordinators when he got hired. He was just best of what was left as the pool got smaller and smaller.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
“To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?

Something about a tempest in a teapot also come to mind.

One reason Rob isn't here might be revealed by peering into that teapot.