Twitter: Rob Ryan on E:60 says Jerry and Stephen trust the wrong people *vid Post #13*

Fredd

Reaction score
so, while some of his comments have a little merit, he has no business talking about the FO of another team....he sounds like a little cry-baby (and by little, I mean big, fat and disgusting)...could you imagine Marinelli trash-talking the Bears (for example)

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Hold on. Since when is Rob Ryan the last word on who is trustworthy and who is not and why are so many of you seemingly ceeding that status to him? What he stated is merely his opinion, it isn't a verifiable fact. It may be true but it also may not. Things may also have changed since he left as the team does seem to have a different drafting philosophy and has had better drafts recently.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this is news to anybody who's been a fan this team at least since '96 I'd be shocked. Although it seems the last couple drafts somebody else is pressing Jerry in a different direction, hopefully that person is Stephen.

joseephuss

Reaction score
This is true of every team. There are members of each organization that are entrusted with providing advice and guidance in building and improving the team. What is the result? What is the standard? There are some that think winning the Superbowl is the only standard that should held. Well not every team wins one and most teams don't come close. There are franchises out there that would actually envy the ability to finish at least 8-8 for one season. There are lots of guys trusted out there, but there also isn't a lot of consistent success in the league.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
People are making jokes on Ryan, but 20 years of fail... You gotta believe there's some truth to it

Jerryrage

Reaction score
So did Rob take a shot at Tom Ciskowski, Todd Williams or Judd Garrett? Or all of them? Guess nobody will ever know.

VACowboy

Reaction score
While it's easy to take shots at Ryan, is he really lying or stretching the truth? I don't think so.

I don't think we know who Jerry talks to and whose advice he heeds. i know I don't, and I don't trust the media to give an honest take on it.

Can anyone give an example of bad advice that Jerry has followed? Is this all draft-related? (honest questions)

If Jerry has been getting bad advice and it's the reason the team has been mediocre for a while, can we gather from recent draft history, the youthful construction of this team and this year's success (so far) that a change has taken place?

CoCo

Reaction score
I haven't figured out yet how we have won 70% of our games this year. Who did some right things to create that result? Per some its not Jerry as he doesn't know talent. Per others its not Garrett cause he can't coach. It can't be the talent because our FO is so screwed up they'd have no way of finding or securing talent.

It's his own incompetence that Jerry hasn't won a SB in 20 years, but it's everyone else's fault that Rob Ryan has been a DC for 20 years without becoming a HC.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Speculative old news.

This sounds like a "make myself relevant again by talking about the Cowboys" shot in the dark.

Neverhood

Reaction score
For the people saying "oh what a convenient time for Rob Ryan to start talking" this is actually a month+ old not that the saints were great a month ago but just sayin

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
The guy simply spent time here and had difference of opinions with JJ/SJ and the people around them. I go to meetings at work and discuss alot of stuff for my boss to side with someone else, so I go out and tell others he trusts the wronf people, just because they won the argument and he chose their opinion over mine. It happens.
I am not saying he is right or wrong, but the simple fact that his defense in Dallas wasn't that good, his defense in NO is also regressing, so his view is as good as the rest.
It doesn't help him as well seeing Rod M. doing what he is doing with a depleted defense.

:cool:

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Can't remember where I read it, but Larry Lacewell was a huge supporter of hiring Monte Kiffin. Certainly think this is where Rob Ryan is directing his comments.

Generally, agree with what Ryan is saying but seems an odd time to bring it up.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting but not exactly shocking news. You can't string together this level of mediocrity over an 18 year period without taking some bad advice.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't remember where I read it, but Larry Lacewell was a huge supporter of hiring Monte Kiffin. Certainly think this is where Rob Ryan is directing his comments.

Generally, agree with what Ryan is saying but seems an odd time to bring it up.

He only brings it up when they stick a microphone in his face. The Ryan family isn't exactly known for stoic silence. :)

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Anyone disagree? I don't I think that's been obvious. But hopefully there has been a change and now that's starting to show. I do wonder who they keep talking about?

For me it's hard to tell because Ryan didn't name names and the failures of this organization have come in many different forms. So, it's hard to pinpoint just one thing.

I don't think Ryan was trying to say it with any malice. Again, he didn't name names and said good things about Jerry and Stephen and inferred that they weren't the main problem. With that, I'm always open ears. Even if it is not the truth or Ryan is misinterpreting things...I'm always interested in the perception from former employees. If you get enough people saying the same thing, even if it is not actually true...perception ends up becoming reality.

I think it would go further than Larry Lacewell. Given that Garrett hired Ryan and then wanted Kiffin, I wouldn't be surprised if he felt Garrett was untrustworthy. While I admire the job Garrett has done so far this season, he does have instances where he has politicked for this job and passed the buck on other coaches. And you had Jesse Holley, a fairly standup player, stating that Garrett sabotaged Wade Phillips in 2010 by limiting his playbook.

The other person I think of is Ciskowski. He doesn't come off as untrustworthy, but the scouts are usually the first guys to grumble at anything and have the least amount of loyalty. Can't blame them as scouts come and go.

YR

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me it's hard to tell because Ryan didn't name names and the failures of this organization have come in many different forms. So, it's hard to pinpoint just one thing.

I don't think Ryan was trying to say it with any malice. Again, he didn't name names and said good things about Jerry and Stephen and inferred that they weren't the main problem. With that, I'm always open ears. Even if it is not the truth or Ryan is misinterpreting things...I'm always interested in the perception from former employees. If you get enough people saying the same thing, even if it is not actually true...perception ends up becoming reality.

I think it would go further than Larry Lacewell. Given that Garrett hired Ryan and then wanted Kiffin, I wouldn't be surprised if he felt Garrett was untrustworthy. While I admire the job Garrett has done so far this season, he does have instances where he has politicked for this job and passed the buck on other coaches. And you had Jesse Holley, a fairly standup player, stating that Garrett sabotaged Wade Phillips in 2010 by limiting his playbook.

The other person I think of is Ciskowski. He doesn't come off as untrustworthy, but the scouts are usually the first guys to grumble at anything and have the least amount of loyalty. Can't blame them as scouts come and go.

YR

Nice post. Lacewell and Ciskowski are a disaster. Lacewell in particular put together some of their worst drafts in NFL history and Ciskowski hasn't been much better. The fact those 2 guys have been Jerry's closest advisors on draft day for the past 18 years of futility explains a lot.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure Stephen has some "fooball" buddies that gets to ride with him on the Cowboys' party bus.

I didn't realize how close Lacewell, Switzer, Jimmy and Jerry all were until I watched Jimmy Johnson A Football Life piece.

Did they mention the part about Switzer having an affair with Lacewell's wife? There was also a story about Jerry wrecking somebody's car (I think is was Switzer's) back in the day.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nice post. Lacewell and Ciskowski are a disaster. Lacewell in particular put together some of their worst drafts in NFL history and Ciskowski hasn't been much better. The fact those 2 guys have been Jerry's closest advisors on draft day for the past 18 years of futility explains a lot.

The best thing the Parcells did for the Cowboys was to fire Lacewell.

dfense

Reaction score
Bart Hubbuch‏@BartHubbuch 4m4 minutes ago
Wow, Rob Ryan tells ESPN the Cowboys are mediocre because Jerry Jones "surrounds himself with some people he trusts who aren't trustworthy."
Rob Ryan tells ESPN's E:60 that there are "people [within the Cowboys] that are in power that shouldn't be" advising Jerry & Stephen Jones.
Rob Ryan tells ESPN Jerry/Stephen Jones "want to do what's right -- they actually do -- but they don't ... they're just not getting it yet."

---------------

That's the kind of talk that will cost him in the future. Don't talk about past employers in a negative light. When the Saints let him go, and they will since Shawn isn't going to fire his offensive coordinator since he's it. Other teams aren't going to hire a guy who burns bridges. Professionalism is not a Ryan strong suit.

Maybe Rex and Ryan can spend some family time together this off season in between looking for work.