Twitter: Roger Staubach believes in Dak Prescott

Dre11

Reaction score
I listened to the interview.

He basically said he believed in Dak leadership but he has to get better on the field.

It also sounded like he was questioning the coaching but he didn't just come out and say it.

That's fine though. Witten has spoken this week and i'll take that.

No he didn't, he basically said anybody sitting outside the meetings don't know what's going on. Also alluded to personnel has a lot to do with a lot of different things you can and can't do. If you're going to summarize at least be honest.

IceBowler

Reaction score
Roger is simply one of the finest people on God's earth. His life is littered with folks he went out of his way to help and encourage.

Doesn't have a thing to do with Dak's ability to succeed in the NFL.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point, there is only one way to attempt to salvage Dak's career.

Get him a new coaching staff. A new HC, OC and QB coach. It's just that simple.

But considering the Idiot in Charge Jerry "helped" Dak this past offseason by giving him zero quality WRs or TEs and installed Linehan's lost son as QB coach (a guy who had ZERO experience as a coach), I wouldn't expect them to finally understand what needs to be done to salvage Dak (if he's even salvageable).
Kellen Moore was lost?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I absolutely love Roger Staubach and hold him in extraordinarily high esteem.

I will never say anything bad about Roger and frankly his football opinion is to be valued at a higher level than probably every person on this board.
He knows what it takes to be a pro more than just about anyone.

That said--no one is infallible. No one is right all the time.
this is one of those times. Roger appears to be basing this opinion on hope, not reality.

Dak is not going through a "tough time".
Dak is flat out not the man for the job. It's more evident every day.
he's offering support, that's about it. unless something else was said there's no "i believe you can do this!" - just "hey - chin up little buckaroo..."

hardly a ringing endorsement of daks skills.

Big_D

Reaction score
People who think replacing Linehan or Garrett would make Dak an upper tier QB are the realistic folks.

Got it LOL

It's their only option at the moment. You see what he has with proper coaching and then decide what to do from there. That's exactly what the front office left themselves with after they traded away their first. I don't think he's the answer, but the option to replace him isn't there .. at least through next season.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Once again, you read what you want to read. And leave out things. You've got nothing.

We have a difference of opinion

You think Dak is great and being held back by inferior talent and coaching

I think he's a garbage quarterback

You share your opinion, i argue against it

I share my opinion, you get pissed and hurl bland generalized insults

Did I miss anything?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
It's their only option at the moment. You see what he has with proper coaching and then decide what to do from there. That's exactly what the front office left themselves with after they traded away their first. I don't think he's the answer, but the option to replace him isn't there .. at least through next season.

I know this is the prevailing wisdom but I don't buy that. Who says we can't replace him now? There are decent QBs out there either as free agents or backups on other teams that we could get as a short-term fix before we find a permanent replacement

Why just agree the next couple of years are wasted and resign our selves to that destiny? It's not like Dak is on some huge contract that is ballooning our salary cap

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We have a difference of opinion

You think Dak is great and being held back by inferior talent and coaching

I think he's a garbage quarterback

You share your opinion, i argue against it

I share my opinion, you get pissed and hurl bland generalized insults

Did I miss anything?
Again, you can't read. I literally never said he great or even suggested it.
Do yourself a favor. Stop putting words in my mouth.
And for the record, nothing you say affects me at all. You're not that important.
Pissed? Insults? Lmao.
Poor thing.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I see. Thompson, Hurns, Gallup and Austin arrive in the off season in 2018 and after 8 games it can be determined they aren't "Dak friendly"?

It doesn't work that way. Dak has his own issues but to say he should be able to gain rapport with 4 new guys with limited game work isn't realistic...
Not true. If Dak was a better QB this wouldn't be an issue but he isn't so he needs a lot of excuses to justify his game.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yawn

since both Romo AND Prescott had really good seasons under Linehan, it's not a stretch to say maybe the problem is a regression at the QB position, is it?
Regression??

You mean like from 11-0 to 14-15 since. How about two missed playoff seasons??

Big_D

Reaction score
I know this is the prevailing wisdom but I don't buy that. Who says we can't replace him now? There are decent QBs out there either as free agents or backups on other teams that we could get as a short-term fix before we find a permanent replacement

Why just agree the next couple of years are wasted and resign our selves to that destiny? It's not like Dak is on some huge contract that is ballooning our salary cap

Because Jerry’s in charge. I’m all for bringing in a vet for competition but even that won’t happen.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I fear Dak has regressed because of this coaching staff .
You say that because you dislike Garrett and I understand but he regressed because he isn't that good period. If he was a good QB it would show just like Romo. He's been in this system three years how do you get worse from running the same plays over and over? That logic makes no sense to me. Think about it you study something for three years but get worse at it over time? Um ok never worked that way for me or anybody I've ever known. You normally get better the more time with something you have not worse.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
You say that because you dislike Garrett and I understand but he regressed because he isn't that good period. If he was a good QB it would show just like Romo. He's been in this system three years how do you get worse from running the same plays over and over? That logic makes no sense to me. Think about it you study something for three years but get worse at it over time? Um ok never worked that way for me or anybody I've ever known. You normally get better the more time with something you have not worse.

Won't defend Dak .

But as you clearly state : "Running the same plays over and over." This vanilla terrible and predictable playbook won't help anybody . 10 years we've had this garbage .

In my book, Garrett is the main problem; and under a new HC let him decide about what to do with Dak .

Big_D

Reaction score

Not true. you can spend all the time you want at school, but if your teacher sucks, then it's pointless. The coaching sucks, the playcalling sucks, the scheme etc.. I'm assuming the preparation isn't top notch either. Doesn't mean I think Dak will be Joe Montana, but I do think he can 'slightly' improve with a coach who knows Xs and Os and how to exploit strengths and weaknesses. He's not Romo, just 2 different style QBs.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Not true. you can spend all the time you want at school, but if your teacher sucks, then it's pointless. The coaching sucks, the playcalling sucks, the scheme etc.. I'm assuming the preparation isn't top notch either. Doesn't mean I think Dak will be Joe Montana, but I do think he can 'slightly' improve with a coach who knows Xs and Os and how to exploit strengths and weaknesses. He's not Romo, just 2 different style QBs.
:hammer:... thats why some students rank better when they graduate from certain schools...

Teachers make a difference for sure .