Twitter: Roger Staubach believes in Dak Prescott

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Won't defend Dak .

But as you clearly state : "Running the same plays over and over." This vanilla terrible and predictable playbook won't help anybody . 10 years we've had this garbage .

In my book, Garrett is the main problem; and under a new HC let him decide about what to do with Dak .
The dirty little secret is all teams run a lot of the same plays. Folks that are diehards of other teams can tell you this too. Heck even with us running the same ole plays which I don't disagree with if Dak was better and the WR were better there is still plays to be made. Folks think some innovative offense will just come up with new plays forever but that isn't how football or any sports works tbh. You might throw in a new play here and there but for the most part your offense is your offense.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Not true. you can spend all the time you want at school, but if your teacher sucks, then it's pointless. The coaching sucks, the playcalling sucks, the scheme etc.. I'm assuming the preparation isn't top notch either. Doesn't mean I think Dak will be Joe Montana, but I do think he can 'slightly' improve with a coach who knows Xs and Os and how to exploit strengths and weaknesses. He's not Romo, just 2 different style QBs.
Its only not true if you're dumb and or an excuse maker. I've had bad teachers but something I wanted to learn I learned it anyway even if I had to do more out of the box stuff myself. When I didn't care that's when I had the excuses lined up. You only think he will improve because you're stuck on that outlier rookie season. He still has the same problems he had coming into the league and in college. That's minimum of four years of not correcting obvious problems. If it takes you that long chances are slim you'll improve on that particular thing.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think Garrett envisions this team as the 1990's cowboys. Powerful oline etc that can run the most basic stuff and force their will upon opposing defenses with great results,game in, game out. That's the trap he has fallen into. He aint no Jimmy Johnson and isn't even close to the great talent evaluator he was. He's tried and GOT CLOSE to duplicating it a couple times ...2014,2016...but couldn't sustain it. Where he went wrong is not realizing that in this day and age, the league is way different.Its a pass happy league, rules are way different, coaching is very good practically across the board(except JG), AND TEAMS CAN ADJUST ON THE FLY. Most of all, the players are much better than back in the day...except for a few rare guys.He's being outcoached because he is stuck in that 90's dallas cowboys...circa 93' mode. THOSE DAYS ARE GONE. Stop being vanilla. We aint good enough to get away with it. Gotta be creative sometimes. He clearly isn't. Square peg round hole syndrome.

Big_D

Reaction score
Its only not true if you're dumb and or an excuse maker. I've had bad teachers but something I wanted to learn I learned it anyway even if I had to do more out of the box stuff myself. When I didn't care that's when I had the excuses lined up. You only think he will improve because you're stuck on that outlier rookie season. He still has the same problems he had coming into the league and in college. That's minimum of four years of not correcting obvious problems. If it takes you that long chances are slim you'll improve on that particular thing.

LOL I'm not stuck anywhere. It's you who don't really get it. Dak isn't going anywhere. That's exactly what's happening here. So either a new coach can get something out of him or he can't. I'm hoping for the best but not holding my breath. And no, you don't just teach yourself. It's moronic. A great teacher makes a huge difference.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Again, you can't read. I literally never said he great or even suggested it.
Do yourself a favor. Stop putting words in my mouth.
And for the record, nothing you say affects me at all. You're not that important.
Pissed? Insults? Lmao.
Poor thing.

Yup. I'm clearly under your skin.
Funny thing is, I'm not even trying. You're genuinely irritated that anyone *dares* to disagree with you.

Anyways, I would try to steer this back to a debate of the topic at hand (Staubach's "support" of Dak) but it would only lead to you getting more uptight about nothing. Unfortunately I have a bunch of things to wrap up before 5.... I hope you have a good weekend.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Because Jerry’s in charge. I’m all for bringing in a vet for competition but even that won’t happen.

Unfortunately that is probably all too true.

Jerry is doing all he knows. Running into a wall, and doubling down.
it worked in oil.
Doesn't work so well in football.....

Ozone22

Reaction score
At this point, there is only one way to attempt to salvage Dak's career.

Get him a new coaching staff. A new HC, OC and QB coach. It's just that simple.

But considering the Idiot in Charge Jerry "helped" Dak this past offseason by giving him zero quality WRs or TEs and installed Linehan's lost son as QB coach (a guy who had ZERO experience as a coach), I wouldn't expect them to finally understand what needs to be done to salvage Dak (if he's even salvageable).
I would like to add a sport psychiatrist to the list also.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
LOL I'm not stuck anywhere. It's you who don't really get it. Dak isn't going anywhere. That's exactly what's happening here. So either a new coach can get something out of him or he can't. I'm hoping for the best but not holding my breath. And no, you don't just teach yourself. It's moronic. A great teacher makes a huge difference.
That's a lie that you're not stuck. That's the only excuse for thinking this bum is any good and if that means I don't get it so be it. Who said he was going anywhere? Don't project on me because you can't teach yourself. We can compare where it matters most to see you can teach yourself. I didn't literally mean I taught myself but when talking to people online looking for anything to prove themselves right they will get conveniently stupid. I meant if the teacher isn't doing their job I'm still going to find a way to get the needed help. Shouldn't have to explain that but I guess some need everything explained to them.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Here's more quotes from Roger

"I'm not sure [about] the creativity," Staubach said, speaking to 105.3FM The Fan. "It seems like it could be better on offense. When you go back, coach [Tom] Landry was really at the forefront of a lot of things that took place on the offensive side of the football. The motions, the slot backs that they have now in the slot, we had this great receiver in Preston Pearson.

"He was a running back but he became a receiver in the slot. We put the shotgun in, in 1975. Coach was really, from an offensive standpoint, was ahead of the game.

"And what he did was try to understand what the defense was trying to do. So then ...the defense, they look at your formation and they said, 'Hey, if they're in this formation, they're going to run this play.' That's why we put the motions in and the shifting and the things we did.

"You do need creativity. I think Dallas has been, but sometimes it's the personnel you have. You can't run trick plays or do certain things. I wish I could sit in on some team meetings and just understand that better.

"I hate to be one out there second-guessing like all of us do as fans, and that's all I am now. I'm a fan but I also played with Dallas, and I definitely feel they should be a better team than what they are right now. I'm not sure what the change should be to make that happen."

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...e-whos-confused-by-Cowboys-offense-124461224/

black label

Reaction score
tenor.gif

Asklesko

Reaction score
This is like Joe Nameth saying he wasn't worrying about the team struggling, and the team was very bad that year.

davidariust24

Reaction score
Dak is taking too long to develop. I see subtle improvements to his game but I dont know if he will ever have enough. It's like he plays the game in the 60 mph zone when we need to be in the 80s. It's either because he doesn't have to skill/touch to complete was he sees or he doesn't see the windows fast enough or maybe both. I dont know. He seems to want/have to wait for players to be completely open by at least a body width before he will throw it to them. Open in the NFL means a step and you have to deliver the goods on time. When I look at the plays we run I see players get NFL open just not Dak open. You have to be able to anticipate when the receiver breaks or will break as well. He seems to not trust them or himself. He's not throwing on time. He can't seem to anticipate and throw on time and accurately in traffic. It's like he is playing pitch and catch almost. He needs 3 amari cooper on the field. I like dak but he needs to make some major improvements

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Well they always said, former players are terrible talent evaluators
I'm pretty sure most if not all HOF QBs are better talent evaluators then Jerry Jones, Jason Garrett, Rod Marinelly, and Scott Linehan.

Jerry owns the team but he does not know talent better than Staubach.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
At this point, there is only one way to attempt to salvage Dak's career.

Get him a new coaching staff. A new HC, OC and QB coach. It's just that simple.

But considering the Idiot in Charge Jerry "helped" Dak this past offseason by giving him zero quality WRs or TEs and installed Linehan's lost son as QB coach (a guy who had ZERO experience as a coach), I wouldn't expect them to finally understand what needs to be done to salvage Dak (if he's even salvageable).
Dang you put it like that were we all so blinded to think he could have any success with that kind of an uphill climb

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Has Roger ever said anything negative about the Cowboys? Heck I even think he said something good about Garrett too..

Staubacher

Reaction score
Roger is a good man. One of the best walking this Earth. There are stories of him quietly helping out former teammates. Not at all surprised he would give Dak some encouragement when things are down.

yimyammer

Reaction score
2Jq9WLS.jpg

**Source: Pages 94-95 from King of the Cowboys: The Life & Time of Jerry Jones by Jim Dent

~sigh~

what could have been, I'd trade all 3 Super Bowls in exchange for no jeri & Spawn with Roger being owner instead & take my chances. It may not have turned out as well initially but no way he'd accept the losing jeri has grown accustomed to, Roger is still competitive as hell.

Here he is a few months ago at the Midway: