Roger Staubach says he wouldn't want Greg Hardy on his team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Greg Hardy wouldn't be on the Dallas Cowboys if Hall of Famer Roger Staubach were making the call.

"I don't have any tolerance toward domestic violence," the Cowboys great said in an interview with KTCK-AM 1310 on Friday. "If I was making the decision, it probably wouldn't have been good for the Cowboys."

"I wouldn't really enjoy being in the locker room with someone I knew was a domestic violence person," he said.

"I would have really had a hard time with a teammate that you look at as a courageous, tough guy on the football field ... to abuse a woman in any shape or form, there's just no excuse for it," he said.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...t-roger-staubach-not-want-greg-hardy-teammate

jwitten82

Reaction score
Wasnt charged, so as long as he is om the field helping this team win, then im good

DFWJC

Reaction score
Disappointing comment.

Like I said in an earlier thread, this proves that even our beloved Roger isn't perfect. Still love the guy.
But how about we give someone a second chance at least?

Not to get all religious here, but I'm pretty sure Rodger is a Christian as well. That in and of itself has it's requirements regarding forgiveness and opportunity for reconciliation....though all of us fail in that area one way or other.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Wait, didn't Harvey Martin have some dv issues?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disappointing comment.

Like I said in an earlier thread, this proves that even our beloved Roger isn't perfect. Still love the guy.

Not to get all religious here, but I'm pretty sure Rodger is a Christian as well. That in and of itself has it's requirements regarding forgiveness and opportunity for reconciliation....though all of us fail in that area one way or other.

I've never worshipped him and I honestly couldn't give two bleeps about his opinion.

I also couldn't care less about life lessons and role models in football. I just want to win. If he's eligible to play, I want Greg Hardy on my team.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I've never worshipped him and I honestly couldn't give two bleeps about his opinion.

I also couldn't care less about life lessons and role models in football. I just want to win. If he's eligible to play, I want Greg Hardy on my team.

Nice rant...

DFWJC

Reaction score

I was all for bringing in Hardy too.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Wasnt charged, so as long as he is om the field helping this team win, then im good

yea, this is factually incorrect. he was charges, it went to trial, he was found guilty (bench trial) appealed for a jury trial which vacated the original ruling and then the charges were dropped.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

Role models is one thing, but law abiding citizens is another. And creating a culture (not just Cowboys, but football in general) where we say it is okay to physically abuse anybody and they will either get a slap on the wrist or get away with it because they play a sport is inherently wrong.

Life lessons are important in sports because it offsets the perception from the anti-sports people that we place way too much importance on them. For every person that thinks we place too much importance on football, I can safely say that where else can you learn so many life lessons and participate in an athletic endeavor? Real life is rather ambiguous and sports help draw out these ambiguous circumstances.

The problem is that we rarely see coaches at any level discuss situations in a sport like football and then explain how they apply to real life so they can use those lessons to better guide them thru real life situations.

The fact is, a sport like football is like any other sport in that 99% of the world couldn't tell you who Roger Staubach is. But the real value is that all of the things that embody the sport and the life lessons it brings out can enable the sport to create great human beings that make the world a better place and create more people like the Roger Staubachs of the world, which we can never have too many.

My only argument against Roger is that I do believe in second, even 3rd, 4th and 5th chances if the end result means a better person. There comes a fine line when you should give a person another chance and when you finally have to cut them off because you simply can't help them or they won't help themselves until they are cut off. But, Roger was the same guy that gave Hollywood Henderson multiple chances. I think Greg Hardy deserves the same.

YR

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Disappointing comment.

You have to look at Roger's age. He's from an era where "decent" people just did not hit a woman or get in a situation of DV. It was unthinkable. There was no excuse for it.

Im not disappointed in his comment at all. There has never been ANYBODY that has wanted to win more than Roger Staubach and yet he reveals that there are some things more important to him than winning football games. The NFL, and society as well, would be much better off if we all had a value system that didnt put $$$$$$$$$$$/winning above all else.

My post/commets have nothing to do Hardy.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You have to look at Roger's age. He's from an era where "decent" people just did not hit a woman or get in a situation of DV. It was unthinkable. There was no excuse for it.

Im not disappointed in his comment at all. There has never been ANYBODY that has wanted to win more than Roger Staubach and yet he reveals that there are some things more important to him than winning football games. The NFL, and society as well, would be much better off if we all had a value system that didnt put $$$$$$$$$$$/winning above all else.

My post/commets have nothing to do Hardy.

I think you are mistaken about that era. There was plenty of DV, it just wasn't taken as seriously, like drunk driving.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As we also noted in the earlier discussion of this topic, not everything Roger said was entirely negative. Some quotes from the same comments by Roger which were for whatever reason excerpted from the ESPN piece:

"Charlotte Jones is fantastic," Staubach said of Jerry Jones' daughter. "She's involved with the NFL on the committees. I think she had a hand in trying to understand that this guy deserves a second chance."

"I think they're trying to make the right decisions and also get creative and take some chances," Staubach said. "Those are tough calls. What goes on in the locker room is very important and how players relate to each other."

So it's not all bad. Since this topic had already been discussed in a thread with the other half of the quotes presented in context, it's possible the fact that they were missing here contributed to the thread being considered more of a rant than an actual discussion topic. I'm not sure.

Either way, I should probably point out again that it's not the best form to question moderation publicly when it comes to moving posts or threads. Ordinarily that's something we stay on top of pretty aggressively. There are a lot of judgment calls moderators on any forum get to make. If you have issues with one or more of them, use the 'Report' feature or a PM to an active staff member and not the threaded discussion. It only creates more work for staff in cleaning up the complaining where it doesn't belong. Go Cowboys.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I have zero issue with what Roger said here.

I personally have zero respect for people who hit women. Unless Hardy is able to prove that his life was actually in danger, or the life of one of his children (if he has any), there are simply no other valid reasons for hitting a woman.

I know other disagree with that, and that's perfectly acceptable, but I don't have any issue with Roger's stance here.

It's also why I had no issue with someone saying something to Hardy about it either, while others were pissed at a team mate for saying something. You can believe that I'd absolutely tell Hardy how I felt about his BS.

Now would I go about my business and do my job regardless? Yeah, I would, but there would be no mistake about how I felt about Hardy.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
10296895_282930978548457_899637008_a.jpg

lostar2009

Reaction score
I'm not down with domestic abuse but I really believe this incident is not black and white. That is why JJ took a shot at Hardy. I truly believe that woman put a lot of smoke and mirrors out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.