Romo: American Century Championship

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I know things were way different in 1980 when Roger Staubach retired. I mean no internet, no ESPN. No 24 hour sports cycles. But when Roger retired as the greatest Cowboys QB ever, (and still is) I don’t remember Cowboys fans being that interested in what Roger was doing off the field. Most Cowboys fans became more interested in Danny White and what he was going to bring.

Tony Romo has been retired for a year, and many fans are talking about his golf game, how many more kids he will have etc. When TR retired, my interest level waned considerably.

No disrespect intended about Romo posts or any big Romo fans. I’m not mad about them. I guess I just don’t understand it.

I don't think Staubach had that interesting of a personality - a great guy, a family man who served the country. A media personality? Plus, there wasn't social media when Staubach retired.

The comparison here would be someone like Joe Namath. Roger was obviously the better player by a great margin, but Namath had the personality that kept the spotlight on him.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I know things were way different in 1980 when Roger Staubach retired. I mean no internet, no ESPN. No 24 hour sports cycles. But when Roger retired as the greatest Cowboys QB ever, (and still is) I don’t remember Cowboys fans being that interested in what Roger was doing off the field. Most Cowboys fans became more interested in Danny White and what he was going to bring.

Tony Romo has been retired for a year, and many fans are talking about his golf game, how many more kids he will have etc. When TR retired, my interest level waned considerably.

No disrespect intended about Romo posts or any big Romo fans. I’m not mad about them. I guess I just don’t understand it.

It is the off season, he is a good guy and I love golf.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is the off season, he is a good guy and I love golf.
I get that. No disrespect for TR. He is a great guy. So was Roger. Just seems like a lot of fans are still waiting on Tony to suit up again. Not saying you....

CPanther95

Reaction score
I get that. No disrespect for TR. He is a great guy. So was Roger. Just seems like a lot of fans are still waiting on Tony to suit up again. Not saying you....

He did two things when he was a Dallas Cowboy - play football and play golf.

Golf is the only way left for his time spent as a Cowboy to lead to a Championship.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score

It is the offseason and not much else to discuss. Also as you referred to, it is a different era and much easier to follow what a former player is doing.

bandfan

Reaction score
I don't think Staubach had that interesting of a personality - a great guy, a family man who served the country. A media personality? Plus, there wasn't social media when Staubach retired.

The comparison here would be someone like Joe Namath. Roger was obviously the better player by a great margin, but Namath had the personality that kept the spotlight on him.
I do believe that if Roger had ultimately decided to run for office he would have been Governor of Texas in a walk.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

When Roger retired, he had to go right back to work. He played in an era where the NFL was still a part-time job and most players worked during the offseason. I wouldn’t care what either of them doing, but I would guess it’s more compelling to see Tony playing golf than Roger milling around in a real estate office or Terry Bradshaw selling used cars (both which happened).

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Romo has a shot. He is in 4th place and they are on back 9. Televised on NBC if you want to tune in.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Mulder just drained a birdie putt to take a 1 pt lead. LOL Romo had the lead for a 2-3 minutes. 3 holes to play.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Mulder double bogey and drops 2 pts, Romo pars and scores 1 pt and extends his lead to 5 pts with 1 hole remaining. Romo just needs to play smart on 18 and should take home the win!

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Pavelski making it really interesting. Knocks it stiff on 18 for a very makable eagle which is good for 6 pts and give him a 1 shot lead. Romo on the green in 3 but has a long putt for birdie. If Romo pars for 1 pt then they will have a playoff. haha this is good stuff.