Romo has broken bone in back; out 6-10 weeks ** Mega Thread **

glimmerman

Reaction score
I felt it was a bonehead play and he should have just grounded the ball, who cares? However, it could be the opposite. When he felt it closing in on him, he may have felt more vulnerable where he was and instinctively took off to get in the open and get down. Or he felt the pressure to make a play out of nothing because of Footsteps.

There is only one fact I know for certain. Given the time, he would have protected himself because as competitive as he is, he didn't want to give up his job unless Footsteps took it away from him as he did Bledsoe. Do we think he would have been fighting to get back in if that had been Cassel or Weeden out there? If you get the chance, take a good long look at his body language and eyes when Dak was wowing everyone. Not saying he's not happy for him and mentoring him but show me the QB that wants to go out that way. Think he doesn't know that after Weeden and Cassell everyone was antsy to get Romo back. You can take a look around this forum or any other and that's a reflection of how many were ready for the next franchise QB. Do we think he's not aware of that?

I posted something like these "why", "what was he thinking" posts but the more I think about that and him, I really do think he was feeling pressure to perform and quieten the DakAttackers. He's never been through anything like this before. No Cowboys team has ever seen this. He wasn't a husband, father or mentor on that play, he was the QB doing what they do.

This was only Romo's luck.. For real, just like he said it was a perfectly timed play. It would have hurt any QB in the league. But considering he has a bad back anyways it is devastating. I wish he would have just went down or threw the ball away immediately. It was preseason.

I saw the play and it was flashbacks.

If people think that Dak is the savior then they are sadly mistaken. "Growing pains" they are going to happen. If Romo is out for most of this year then you can call this season that. Some will say it's a waste of season with this Offense already in place just waiting for Romo to take command.

I ain't packing it in just yet. Romo could come back or even play earlier. We don't have definitive answers yet. And Dak could really impress and get us to the playoffs. I can tell you this. I am not looking forward to the opening game like I was on Wednesday.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I tend to agree, my only point, is if the cowboys are ready to move on from Romo, they can easily and will. There won't be a situation where he hold the team hostage and they can't release him due to his contract, but I don't think it's a given that he's done.

I'm not either, but I can't help but think, maybe he should be?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you begin practicing in camp, you are ineligible to be on the PUP list. It's not hard to understand.

Moore's options are to either go on IR, have the Cowboys carry him as injured and waste a roster spot, or reach an injury settlement with him.

It's nice to see someone gets it.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
If Tony returns next year it will be as a back-up and he will have to re-do his deal.......I could see more guaranteed money and a huge reduction in base salary from 14m to 5m.....a 3 year/15m deal with 10m guaranteed would be fair

lol, too many QB needy teams for Romo to remain here as a back up. He'll start here is Dak falls on his face when the regular season starts, or even if Dak plays ok, but Romo comes back week 5 or so and plays at a much higher level. Romo will play else where if he thinks he can still play, and go to one of the many QB needy teams that have otherwise good teams, like the Jets, Bills if Tyrod Taylor regresses, the Broncos if Paxton Lynch isn't quite ready, or even the Chiefs depending on how well Alex Smith plays.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol, too many QB needy teams for Romo to remain here as a back up. He'll start here is Dak falls on his face when the regular season starts, or even if Dak plays ok, but Romo comes back week 5 or so and plays at a much higher level. Romo will play else where if he thinks he can still play, and go to one of the many QB needy teams that have otherwise good teams, like the Jets, Bills if Tyrod Taylor regresses, the Broncos if Paxton Lynch isn't quite ready, or even the Chiefs depending on how well Alex Smith plays.

I don't think there will be too many teams lining up to put their fate on Romo's health.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I don't think there will be too many teams lining up to put their fate on Romo's health.

you'd be surprised. the problem with those teams is, defensively they are good enough to go 8-8 with average QB play, which means you aren't likely to get a guy in the draft. And even if you do, the odds of him being ready to go week 1 are slim. I don't think anyone would plan long term around Romo, but if your choices are Mark Sanchez, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyrod Taylor (I don't think Taylor is very good, but I realize I'm in the minority here) or Romo, what do you have to lose?

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Probably not. Maybe a team with a 1st rd rook that they would want to buy so time for, or some similar scenario.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I don't think so....I think he collects 5m a year to hold a clipboard here in DAL.....he just bought another home in N Dallas and there are no better facilities around for an aging, oft injured QB

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you'd be surprised. the problem with those teams is, defensively they are good enough to go 8-8 with average QB play, which means you aren't likely to get a guy in the draft. And even if you do, the odds of him being ready to go week 1 are slim. I don't think anyone would plan long term around Romo, but if your choices are Mark Sanchez, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Tyrod Taylor (I don't think Taylor is very good, but I realize I'm in the minority here) or Romo, what do you have to lose?

Can't help the club in the tub.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Even if Romo comes earlier than expected, I have no doubt he'll get injured again. His body cant take the punishment anymore

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Can't help the club in the tub.

the point is how much of a drop off is it from Mark Sanchez/Ryan Fitzpatrick to who ever you have to trot out if Romo goes down? Compare that to the upgrade that Romo is when out there?

Silverstar

Reaction score
I'm thinking he'll be back after the bye week (6 games) 8 weeks from now playing the Egirls at home. I think that would be a good time frame for this fractured bone to heal properly, but with those injections to help heal faster etc, etc...possibly sooner?

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I'm thinking he'll be back after the bye week (6 games) 8 weeks from now playing the egirls at home. I think that would be a good time frame for this fractured bone to heal properly, but with injections to heal faster etc, etc...possibly sooner?

Y'all killing me. You really want this man to be carried out in a stretcher.. Let him go. I'm going to start a Romo is gone Rehab Facility for all y'all in denial.

yimyammer

Reaction score
I just don't look at it that way......if they had been taking 20m+ cap hits on Romo the last 4 years that would have been a bigger waste of resources......think of it as an interest free credit card...you can take a 5k vacation and pay for at the time or spread it out over 3 years with no interest....smart people would tell you to spread it out.......in 3 years you will still be paying for a vacation you took a long time ago but it was still a smart move and gave you flexibility you didn't have before...

Ah hell, I wasn't trying to start a big Brouhaha so I'll just say that may be the way it has to be but I still wish they didn't have to eat 31 million in cap space in the event Romo is done.

While I'm wishing, I wish Romo didn't get hurt either