Video: Romo Interview from Jets' website. He says scheme is important

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
I feed my dog Carrots daily.
She just turned 17 last week and still going strong.
You wanna hear something crazy one of my dogs is 17 and loves carrots and the expected life span suggests if they live to 16 they already beat the odds. He is going blind and deaf but other than that still going strong.

cern

Reaction score
Yeah, and I understand sticking with the hot hand, but I don't think Garrett was overridden. I think he fully agreed...otherwise the friendship wouldn't have dissolved. Tony would have seen Garrett fight for him.

It's circumstantial evidence, but it makes the most sense.
you could be right.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
For anyone who is willing to listen without JG jock sniffer filter, Romo says Jets would need a great scheme. Jets can't expect to win going one on one against the Cowboys because we are too talented.

Basically taking a dig at JG's "Scheme don't matter. Just fight and beat the man across from you." mantra.
That is the mantra for most teams when you have superior players. But if you don’t have superior players you’re not going to win 1 on 1 battles the majority of the time without deception.

Fancy motion and trick plays are an attempt at an equalizer to catch up if you’re behind in talent and keeping defenses honest if you’re an equal or superior team.

I heard this the other day about the Colts with Peyton.

Did you know Marvin Harrison played 99% of his snaps on the right side of the numbers? He’d go there pre snap and let Peyton read the defense before the play. The Colts just out executed everyone but New England. You didn’t ever see a lot of fancy gadgets from them because they had better players than 30 of the other 31 teams in the league.

Presnap motion and scheme are great to try to get the defense/offense to show their cards, but at the end of the day it’s about execution and ultimately beating your man 1 on 1.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
the days of romo and garrett attending stars and mavs games together disappeared when dak kept the job. it broke apart their friendship. but I don't think tony would disparage garrett in anything other than a professional context. as an announcer, it would be in bad taste.
Well I don’t see Garrett, Witten or Tony at many games the last few years. Except for the Cowboys getting a suite for the Stars playoff run.

Romo has 2 or 3 kids now which could be a big reason for the change. I doubt he lost his friendship with Witten, but yet Witten has been seen in public by himself without Tony. People can be friends without going everywhere together.

Stop trying to play psychologist. Yes Romo was mad at how his time ended, but I don’t think he hates ever having worn the star or has some deep disdain for the organization.

Zman5

Reaction score
That is the mantra for most teams when you have superior players. But if you don’t have superior players you’re not going to win 1 on 1 battles the majority of the time without deception.

Fancy motion and trick plays are an attempt at an equalizer to catch up if you’re behind in talent and keeping defenses honest if you’re an equal or superior team.

I heard this the other day about the Colts with Peyton.

Did you know Marvin Harrison played 99% of his snaps on the right side of the numbers? He’d go there pre snap and let Peyton read the defense before the play. The Colts just out executed everyone but New England. You didn’t ever see a lot of fancy gadgets from them because they had better players than 30 of the other 31 teams in the league.

Presnap motion and scheme are great to try to get the defense/offense to show their cards, but at the end of the day it’s about execution and ultimately beating your man 1 on 1.

And how does one team/player execute better and beat his man? Better talent? What if two teams are evenly matched talent wise? You are not always going to be the more talented team in every game. This isn't the 90's before free agency. This is where scheme and better coaching can make a difference.

This is why we have not had much success in the playoffs during the JG era. In the playoffs, the talent level of the teams are not that far apart. We can't expect to beat teams with talent alone.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
You wanna hear something crazy one of my dogs is 17 and loves carrots and the expected life span suggests if they live to 16 they already beat the odds. He is going blind and deaf but other than that still going strong.
I swear by them, all of my dogs have lived beyond their expected life spans, the three stooges, my pugs, all were fed carrots, and their only supposed to live 10 years, but they all made it to 16-17 as well.