Romo Observation

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm completely out to lunch on this or not but as I watched Romo last night, it seemed as if he was more ellusive in the pocket. I don't know if I was just more aware of it because of his situation with the Thumb or not but it seemed to me as if he was more ellusive in the pocket. He didn't run a great deal, not surprising, but he stepped up more, did some thing that just allowed the OL to keep the Skinz pass rush off of him.

Now, I'll say now that the Skinz are not very good at pressuring passers, IMO, but the thing I think I saw last night was Romo not trying to stay back. If you recall, Romo was trying to immulate Brady, by not drifting in the pocket, as much. The idea was to give our OL more space to work with. However, last night, it didn't seem like he was trying to do that, much. I imagine it was because he was focusing on other things, as opposed to that part of his game. Romo was not real good last night but, he did make plays and the Skinz never really forced him into mistakes. The mistakes were the result of a real poor throw by Romo and just a great hit that was timed pretty well, I thought. To me, one of the things that I noticed, earlier in the year, was that edge rushers were rushing to a point they believed Romo would be as opposed to being back on their heels as was the case last year. Our OTs are not great at handling speed edge rushers. I wonder if that may actually have created more opportunity for opposing teams to generate pressure then previously. In the past, you never knew where Romo would be and that created uncertainty for the Defense. In turn, that allowed our OL to do what they do well. It allowed them to get there hands on the DLs and use there strength and Size. It's just one game but as I watched last night, I thought that the Washington D was on there heels a bit and Romo was not standing back in the pocket, near as much. I guess we'll see as time goes on.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I agree with you, as I noticed he seemed more comfortable for what-ever-reason. I would of expected him to be a little tight with the broken finger.....but he did great!

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
That's a fantastic observation, man.

He wasn't attempting to emulate Tom Brady last night - he was being Tony Romo and it showed. Now all he needs is more confidence in his downfield ball and to keep playing like himself and we'll be back to form like last year.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ABQ - brilliant point.

Barry Sanders slipped and slide and reversed and played the game with passion and was great at his job.

Romo needs to be Romo and not Brady.

Can he take something from Tom? Sure.

But ultimately he needs to help his line and team by being the playmaker and not the statue.

He had fun last night. We need Tony doing that to win.

Temo

Reaction score
I didn't see it. What i saw was a consistent pocket created by a rejuvenated O-Line and a weak Commanders pass rush (which has been weak all year long).

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
the O-line played way better,not great,but better.Kosier makes a BIG difference playing LG,rather than Procter.Plus,Romo being Romo is gonna be huge down this stretch.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2425891 said:
I don't know if I was just more aware of it because of his situation with the Thumb or not but it seemed to me as if he was more ellusive in the pocket.

I think you mean "pinkie", Romo's thumb was fine.

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
The O-Line played like they should all the time in the forth quarter, and only average in the first three quarters. The O-Line needs to be more consistent...they seem to do better last night run blocking (a positive sign). And they need to stop with all the penalties -- killing big plays and drives.

Romo did not look that good. He threw passes behind his open receivers and seemed to hesitate at times making decisions. I think we all think he did well because his backups absolutely suck. We have had three games with the QB playing so bad that anything looks good.

Romo and the O-Line must play much better if the Cowboys want to achieve anything this year.

MONT17

Reaction score
Did u see the flutter ball? At first I figured it was the pinkie I think that's what AL said, but actually he was trying ti avoid Wit going into the line... I guess that was an audible between QB n WR or Wit ran the wrong play. Ether way Tony knew he was there and avoided hitin Wit on the Helment!

A win is a win unless its over the Skins, then it is the greatest thing ever!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Wade has said that they need to get the ball out more quickly and Garrett tried that in the first quarter. And the Skins stacked the LOS and jammed our receivers. Which caused problems with those passes and routes.

When they settled back into their regular offense they started clicking. Without the INTs you see a different game.

The OL deserves accolades for that game. And the defense. 14 points won't win a lot of games esp latter in the year. They need to address the problems but let's bask in our week of glory. Beating the Skins takes some sting out of the rest of the season.