Romo or Warner in his prime?

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Just saw a blog post by Tim McMahon that kind of memorialized something I'd already been kicking around this week, namely, how Romo now compares to another QB that seemingly came out of nowhere, Kurt Warner, in his prime.

Here's McMahon's post from www.cowboys.beloblog.com, complete with statistical breakdown:

Tony Romo vs. Kurt Warner through 31 starts
11:09 AM Wed, Oct 08, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

We'll get a chance to talk to Cardinals QB Kurt Warner this afternoon. One of the things I want to ask him about is the similarities he sees between himself in his early years as the Rams' starter and Tony Romo now.

Warner is one of four active QBs who had better records through 31 starts than Romo. The others: Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger and Marc Bulger.

Here's a comparison of Warner's and Romo's stats through 31 regular-season starts.

WARNER

Comp.-Att. -- 665-991
Yards -- 9,030
TDs/INTs -- 73/34
300-yard games -- 20
Regular-season record -- 25-6
Playoff record -- 4-1

ROMO

Comp.-Att. -- 643-992
Yards -- 8,220
TDs/INTs -- 63/34
300-yard games -- 13
Regular-season record -- 23-8
Playoff record -- 0-2

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'll take Marshal Faulk, Isaac Bruce, and Torry Holt in their prime, please.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Romo's 100 rating so far this season is amazing, considering he's got the most 3rd-and-long attempts of anybody in the league.

When Felix becomes a bigger part of the offense, Romo's numbers will surpass Warner's.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
I'm not sure Romo has hit his prime yet. Maybe he will this year, but he has not so far.

The stat that gets lost on Romo is his fumbles. He fumbles the ball way too much, and he is lucky that is not part of the QB Rating equation.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Wrangler87;2318812 said:
I'm not sure Romo has hit his prime yet. Maybe he will this year, but he has not so far.

The stat that gets lost on Romo is his fumbles. He fumbles the ball way too much, and he is lucky that is not part of the QB Rating equation.

I agree, Romo does need to improve his ball security. He has 1 fumble every 50.8 pass attempts/rushes. Warner is a worse fumbler who has 1 fumble every 40.1 pass attempts/rushes.

Reaction score
Warner was never the same after his Thumb injury. Call it psychological or physical but he was never the same.

But the greatest show on turf was amazing to see when they were clicking.

Both Warner and Romo are very similar. They have a similar release, arm strength and are both very accurate. Romo is just a way better athlete.

But I'd take those two WR's and the Marshall plan with ROMO and Mike Martz getting his PLAYMAKERS the ball... Martz would force Romo to spread the ball instead of looking at Witten 90% of the time.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2318825 said:
Warner was never the same after his Thumb injury. Call it psychological or physical but he was never the same.

But the greatest show on turf was amazing to see when they were clicking.

Both Warner and Romo are very similar. They have a similar release, arm strength and are both very accurate. Romo is just a way better athlete.

But I'd take those two WR's and the Marshall plan with ROMO and Mike Martz getting his PLAYMAKERS the ball... Martz would force Romo to spread the ball instead of looking at Witten 90% of the time.

Wasn't it the pinkie that our own Roy Williams broke on Warner's hand in that 2002 game at their place?

Regarding the turnovers, yes, Warner used to get raked over the coals a bit too for the number of INTs he threw after '99, but they still got to a Super Bowl the year he threw 22 of them (2001). I recall Martz saying he didn't care about the interceptions because they were simply an occasional by-product of the level of aggressiveness in his system.

Reaction score
jcblanco22;2318840 said:
Wasn't it the pinkie that our own Roy Williams broke on Warner's hand in that 2002 game at their place?

Regarding the turnovers, yes, Warner used to get raked over the coals a bit too for the number of INTs he threw after '99, but they still got to a Super Bowl the year he threw 22 of them (2001). I recall Martz saying he didn't care about the interceptions because they were simply an occasional by-product of the level of aggressiveness in his system.

Might have been... I couldnt recall if it was his pinkie or thumb , I just knew he had problems griping the ball afterwards.

Pabst

Reaction score
It was the pinkie. Warner has a very, very odd style of gripping the ball.

Back on topic, I take Warner, until Romo gets a ring. Then I take Romo. I'm easy like that. :p

Boysboy

Reaction score
It had alot more to do with Martz's system than Warner. ANY QB would have thrived in that system.

The Pats exposed them in that Super Bowl a few years ago, and since then, Martz's schemes just haven't been nearly as effective.

JRid21

Reaction score
Warner messed up his shoulder, thumb, and a few other places pretty bad. That's why he was struggling so much his last few years with the Rams
You can see a big dropoff in velocity on his passes

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
theogt;2318754 said:
I'll take Marshal Faulk, Isaac Bruce, and Torry Holt in their prime, please.

Yeah. I was gonna ask if Warner ever had a "prime".................

zeroburrito

Reaction score
um...has ANY qb been better than warner was during that stretch? he was incredible.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
zeroburrito;2320120 said:
um...has ANY qb been better than warner was during that stretch? he was incredible.

Didn't he win two league MVPs?

He was fantastic. Now that he is gripping the ball better with the gloved hand, I think he has been pretty outstanding again.

If he was never injured, I wonder what he may have done healthy up until now.

Romo is great, I hope he hasn't reached his ceiling, but Warner has a better resume right now.

mmohican29

Reaction score
I'll take Roy, first KO'g Faulk, then on the Safety blitz KO'g Warner thus pretty much ending the Rams dynasty in St. Louis. They were never quite the same after that game. That was pretty much the highlight of the season for us... 2004? or 05?