Romo was the better QB than Dak, but Romo could not beat the Commanders' blitz

DuceizBak

Reaction score
Whenever we used to play the Commanders, it seems like Romo could never beat the Blitz, Even when we had supremely more talented teams Romo would be horrible at picking up the blitz.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Silence! How dare you speak of the legend in such a way?

I dunno, I've seen a few skins games Romo played well in.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
Oh great here comes a Romo thread. I know, I know, I know....he is the greatest ever, blah, blah, blah. He never lost, never made a mistake......he wasn't drafted. We heard this all before. Romo is a mythical legend in the football world.

I have a suggestion for everyone. Hop on the Dak bus because the Romo bus has quit working. He retired. That chapter in Dallas is over, just turn the page.

Enjoy the win, Dak is taking the team to the Superbowl. Mark it down.

Last edited:

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Have you watched Zeke pick up blitzing linebackers? I'd venture to say he is the best blocking RB in the league. Dude straight up humbled Calais Campbell a few weeks ago.

Also, even as diminished as our OL is right now, it's still leaps and bounds better than the line Romo had in 2012.

Wood

Reaction score
Whenever we used to play the Commanders, it seems like Romo could never beat the Blitz, Even when we had supremely more talented teams Romo would be horrible at picking up the blitz.

I think it silly to get into these Romo/Dak debates because if Dallas has Romo they would be considered contender right there with Rams, NO & KC once you factor in current D & RB for Dallas.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
the DC , ex coach Hazlett had Romos number, so yes it seemed that way.

DuceizBak

Reaction score
I think it silly to get into these Romo/Dak debates because if Dallas has Romo they would be considered contender right there with Rams, NO & KC once you factor in current D & RB for Dallas.
Romo gets overrated since he retired, a good QB but people act like he was elite,,he never was. Which there is nothing wrong with.
Romo would have been killed behind the offensive line play the past two years.
Go watch Cowboys vs the Commanders in the 2012 finale, CB's literally lined up 10 yards off the ball.
Romo wouldn't even see this or audible to a quick out, or a quick slant. No way in Hell is Dak as good as Romo but people are really having a fantastical view of how good romo was.

In 2012 our defense was terrible but had us in a position to win the game at the end, 18-21. Against one of the least talented defenses to win the division he threw a pick.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

I actually thought Romo did moderately well against the blitz considering the plays being called and the fact the coaches rarely gave him a hot read. I do remember being furious about those games/situations though.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The style of Romo and Dak are radically different.

It is easier to compare Dak to Aikman than to Romo.

Dak is in his 3rd NFL season. Romo was still on the bench in his 3rd season.

Romo didn't start a game until week 8 of his 4th NFL season.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
Romo gets overrated since he retired, a good QB but people act like he was elite,,he never was. Which there is nothing wrong with.
Go watch Cowboys vs the Commanders in the 2012 finale, CB's literally lined up 10 yards off the ball.
Romo wouldn't even see this or audible to a quick out, or a quick slant. No way in Hell is Dak as good as Romo but people are really having a fantastical view of how good romo was.

In 2012 our defense was terrible but had us in a position to win the game at the end, 18-21. Against one of the least talented defenses to win the division he threw a pick.

I was at that game with my Cowboys jersey on and was getting absolutely crushed in the crowd all game UNTIL that possession. When we got the ball down three with a couple minutes left in the 4th, you could hear a pin drop. All the trolls screaming about “Alf” and RGIII were nervous as hell.

Of course I started pounding my chest and talkin trash only to see Romo get fooled by that zone blitz. I think that was his third pic of the day. I remember getting clowned for the rest of the game, up the stairs, through the corridor, all the way to the car in 20 degree cold. Good times...

Folks around here tend to romanticize Romo’s entire career like it was without growing pains and challenges. The end of the 2012 season was a tough time. It’s easy to admit that his game grew leaps and bounds after that but the injuries started to pile up and the defense was not yet good enough to bail him out when he checked out of running plays to throw incomplete passes and stop the clock when we were trying to salt a game away or throwing interceptions while trying to make a game changing play when it wasn’t necessary.

To bring this to the current time, Romo was in year 9 or 10 as a pro in 2012, and our current guy is in year 3. I think we should give him some time to grow. He appears to be growing week to week. Is he as good as Romo in year 13? Nope. But he wants to be the best and I don’t doubt that he will continue to improve.

DFWJC

Reaction score
For a couple of years, the Commanders defensive coordinator was getting best of Tony.
Now, by 2013, in a lose and season over scenario, he ended up guiding us to a game-winning drive at Washington.
But yeah, they were one of the very few teams that gave him trouble.

But those Cowboys teams had truly horrendous offensive lines and no Zeke. And, of course, some the worst defenses in Cowboys history...putting enormous pressure ontne offense.

How could anyone ever say they were more talented than what we have now is just nuts.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Oh great here comes a Romo thread. I know, I know, I know....he is the greatest ever, blah, blah, blah. He never lost, never made a mistake......he wasn't drafted. We heard this all before. Romo is a mythical legend in the football world.

I have a suggestion for everyone. Hop on the Dak bus because the Romo bus has quit working. He retired. That chapter in Dallas is over, just turn the page.

I agree about turning the page.

But do you honestly think Dallas goesto the Super Bowl this season?
Sure hope so as a fan!
But my football knowledge tells me otherwise.

Obviously hoping you are right though.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The only place where Romo is a legend is right here in the Zone. I’ll leave it at that.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree about turning the page.

But do you honestly think Dallas goesto the Super Bowl this season?
Sure hope so as a fan!
But my football knowledge tells me otherwise.

Obviously hoping you are right though.
Eagles fans probably thought the same thing when Wentz went down last year

DFWJC

Reaction score

No doubt that 2012 game was a bad one. Those happen to all QBs.
But people act like he played that way all the time
I do call that the Monte Python bridge scene game though.
Bythe end of the game, we were playing with the waterboy and trainer as our top offensive threats...lol.
Truly awful oline, no Murray, no Dez, no Austin...throws to freaking Ogletree for a TD late and then to Dwyane Harris for two-to get us close...then even Harris goes down on the final drive. Comical....but we do need context here.

It was terrible and yes Romo played poorly
But that was one game

Btw, Morris ran for 200 yards for Washington that game. Our Run defense was terrible.

Last edited: