Romo's arm strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Big difference between having a big arm and being able to accurately get the ball to the QB accurately. Romo has the gun and the touch and the ability to process the progressions.... Big difference between 80% compltetions and a 100 QB rating and a 46% completion % and "throwing it away". 61.1 QB rating....

Romo impresses at Indy
By Matthew Stevens/ Sports Reporter
Published: Tuesday, February 25, 2003
Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

Media Credit: Stephen Haas
Eastern senior Tony Romo excelled at the arm strength and IQ tests at the NFL combine. Romo was clocked at 57 mph during throwing drills and answered 37 out of the 50 questions correctly on the IQ test.

Eastern quarterback Tony Romo must have appreciated being in Indianapolis this weekend because at the NFL combine held in the racing capital of the world, he did everything fast.

"I wanted to show everyone that speed wasn't a problem," Romo said. "This was excatly why I worked so hard for two weeks in Florida, and it payed off."

The NFL prospect was placed in the second group Sunday afternoon along with Southern California's Carson Palmer, Louisville's Dave Ragone and Texas' Chris Simms.

Romo earned the second-fastest time in the shuttle run and was timed at 4.9 seconds in the 40-yard-dash.

"Basically, that's why I went to Florida, to increase my speed, and I feel like I'm a completely different player since I left," Romo said.

Romo impressed even himself during the IQ test by answering correctly 37 of 50 questions in only 12 minutes. The highest score last season during the combine was 41 and most quarterbacks only got through 22 questions.

"The whole point of the test was to see how quickly you can process the information given," Romo said.

The 2002 Walter Payton Award winner astonished many scouts in throwing drills after being clocked at 57 mph, which is impressive compared to future Hall of Fame Green Bay Packer quarterback Brett Farve's 61 mph.

"My arm strength has gotten much stronger since my last game at Eastern," Romo said.

Romo ended the day by answering question from the media for a day-long record of nearly 38 minutes until Simms stayed at the podium for 45 minutes after Romo.

"It was cool that the media wanted to talk to me but it didn't even seem like I was up there for that long," Romo said.

Throughout the afternoon, Romo interviewed with quarterback coaches and offensive coordinators from the Green Bay Packers, Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, San Diego Chargers, Buffalo Bills and Chicago Bears.

"I have no idea who might take me but the teams that I interviewed with are the ones who really like me," Romo said.

Predictions on which round Romo will be selected have ranged from the third to the seventh round in next April's NFL Draft. However, Romo and his International Management Group team are confident in his status.

"It changes everyday, but I think I really solidified myself this weekend," Romo said. "People think agents know everything before the draft, but the NFL is so secretive with everything."

Romo went into the RCA Dome with high exceptions and was not nervous about the weekend workouts.

"The prediction was even if I didn't perform well, it was because I was a small-town guy, but I went there with something to prove," Romo said.

Merlin

Reaction score
Here we go again ..... for the umpteenth time. :bang2:

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Nice post Nors, but.... you know people who saw the game, said that Henson has a much better arm than Romo, and can complete the pass, but i keep forgetting you dont listen to facts.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Well, Romo has never been short on confidence in himself.

I am glad to see that "it payed off." :rolleyes:

Roughneck

Reaction score
Big difference between having a big arm and being able to accurately get the ball to the QB accurately. Romo has the gun and the touch and the ability to process the progressions.... Big difference between 80% compltetions and a 100 QB rating and a 46% completion % and "throwing it away". 61.1 QB rating....
Isn't that the Center's job?

Oh wait, I see what you're doing Nors. Start out with a Romo take and then do a quick slash to a Gurode-Bashing slam. Pretty sneaky, you diabolical genius.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
noodle.jpg

Comparitively speaking of course...

Little Jr

Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
Nice post Nors, but.... you know people who saw the game, said that Henson has a much better arm than Romo, and can complete the pass, but i keep forgetting you dont listen to facts.

Havent read all the post and probally wont since there is so many. The ones I read though and the ones who posted his arm strength was better, for the most part have been Henson apologist or what ever you want to call them.

Its a lot like when Q was here. I watched him play and saw a 2nd string QB and 3rd on some teams. Then there were others who actually saw a good QB. Just a matter of a opinion.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Let me prefrace this by saying that I have no dog in this race but anyone trying to compare Romo's arm strength to Henson's did not watch the same game I watched last night.

...oh that's right, you didn't watch it :rolleyes:

Do I think that Henson will ultimately prevail because of his superior arm strength over Romo? Absolutely not!

There are so many other variables that go into the making of a quality NFL QB. Romo doesn't have a rag arm but its still not in the same league as Henson.

In the end when all this arguing is done and the final decision is made it will come down to so much more than who has the stronger arm.

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
Roughneck said:
Oh wait, I see what you're doing Nors. Start out with a Romo take and then do a quick slash to a Gurode-Bashing slam. Pretty sneaky, you diabolical genius.

:laugh2: :lmao:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:
I saw the game and admit that Henson threw the ball harder than Romo did. But that does not mean that Romo CAN'T throw the ball hard...it just means that he DIDN'T. And given his completion ratio and seeing some of the touch passes that he threw it was probably a good thing that he didn't throw hard. There were no passes that didn't reach their mark and there were none that seemed to die due to lack of strength. Romo threw the passes at the appropriate velocity and with the appropriate touch.

In fact if anything Henson's performance raises the question, "Can HE throw a touch pass or do they all have to come like they are shot from a cannon?" That can be just as important you know.

As for Nors bringing up this post again I think it appropriate since so many people have latched onto and are harping on this ridiculous arm strength issue for Romo. It demonstrates that Romo CAN throw a 57 mph football and all last night demonstrates is that he can throw it softer if he needs to. Last night he didn't need to cut it loose, maybe next game he will.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
SALADIN said:
Let me prefrace this by saying that I have no dog in this race but anyone trying to compare Romo's arm strength to Henson's did not watch the same game I watched last night.

Do I think that Henson will ultimately prevail because of his superior arm strength over Romo? Absolutely not!

There are so many other variables that go into the making of a quality NFL QB. Romo doesn't have a rag arm but its still not in the same league as Henson.

In the end when all this arguing is done and the final decision is made it will come down to so much more than who has the stronger arm.

Agreed, if it were all about arm strength then Jeff George would be among the NFL's Greatest QB's, and Joe Montana wouldn't even started in this league.

Here's Troy Aikman's opinion of Romo's arm strength.

"I like Tony, from what I have seen. If you didn't know his background and who he was, watching him throw the football you wouldn't know ... he was an undrafted quarterback. I think you would think he was a rather high draft pick just watching him throw the ball."

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/nfl/dallas_cowboys/12376058.htm

Fan Since 77

Reaction score
Hahaha. I leave the board while Nors is hailing Drew Bledsoe as the second comming. I come back and see him praising Tony Romo?!?!?!!?!

You'd make a good politician Nors.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
dargonking999 said:

I read about people partying and being at the game.
He "may" have the better arm. But Romo completed 8-10 and Henson only 6-13. Facts again?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
SALADIN said:

Exactly - its not all a "gun". Running an offense, audible, hitting open receivers, checking down fast and accurately and making the correct decisions.

-

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Fan Since 77 said:
Hahaha. I leave the board while Nors is hailing Drew Bledsoe as the second comming. I come back and see him praising Tony Romo?!?!?!!?!

You'd make a good politician Nors.

YOU DON'T READ IT ALL OR CAN'T ADD.

I am very Long on Bledsoe as our Starter and he'll be fine. I also am pro Romo as the backup - a job he is winning so far - hands down.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Nors said:
YOU DON'T READ IT ALL OR CAN'T ADD.

I am very Long on Bledsoe as our Starter and he'll be fine. I also am pro Romo as the backup - a job he is winning so far - hands down.

What makes you think he's winning it? Much less "hands down"?

Status
Not open for further replies.