Romo's erratic accuracy

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I've noted over at least the last three games that Romo's accuracy has been very erratic. Yes, I know he ends up with a pretty good completion percentage, but thats not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the balls in the ground, (several yesterday) balls yards ahead of the receiver (Bennett), ever over-throws, and throws behind a receiver.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that while every QB will have an occasional bad throw including Romo, he is having a lot more of these bad throws over the last few games.

My question is, could he have a hand or arm injury that hasn't been released to the media? At first I though he was just having his 2-3 bad throwing games a year that he has each year, but the problem with that is that those games are never back back-to-back. He has now had three straight games with several erratic throws.

btw, I will now call Romo "Turnover Tony". He says it's no big deal. He is DEAD wrong. While he is right that you don't want "careful play" to stifle your playmaking ability, it's a fact that the team that wins the turnover battle is generally the team that wins the game. He MUST get his turnover in check. His fumbles are him not taking care of the ball. They have nothing to do with "being a playmaker".

morasp

Reaction score
Someon commented about an injury yesterday and I hope that's the case and it will get better as the season goes on. He did the same thing a second time yesterday that could have been another fumble but then he slid. Turnovers are the biggest stat of a game and we aren't doing very well with them on offense. Barber even had a fumble that we were lucky enough to have Flo recover. Even though we have a good record I would say we are the third best team in our division behind the Giants and Commanders.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;2312161 said:
I've noted over at least the last three games that Romo's accuracy has been very erratic. Yes, I know he ends up with a pretty good completion percentage, but thats not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the balls in the ground, (several yesterday) balls yards ahead of the receiver (Bennett), ever over-throws, and throws behind a receiver.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that while every QB will have an occasional bad throw including Romo, he is having a lot more of these bad throws over the last few games.

My question is, could he had a hand or arm injury that hasn't been released to the media? At first I though he was just having his 2-3 bad throwing games a year that he has each year, but the problem with that is that those games are never back back-to-back. He has now had three straight games with several erratic throws.

btw, I will now call Romo "Turnover Tony". He says it's no big deal. He is DEAD wrong. While he is right that you don't want "careful play" to stifle your playmaking ability, it's a fact that the team that wins the turnover battle is generally the team that wins the game. He MUST get his turnover in check. His fumbles are him not taking care of the ball. They have nothing to do with "being a playmaker".

IDK he did get hit pretty hard against the browns.

aikemirv

Reaction score
He looked a bit off in his throws yesterday. I am not sure whether it is timing or an injury. The throw that Crayton dropped was not right and the INT just did not look right. He threw a few more wobblers than usual.

He just did not look right.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
Yeah, his throws were sloppy for the most part. I just think the dude needs his confidence back. I don't think its injury.

juck

Reaction score
I noticed he sucks at Texas Stadium.Why?I dont know.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Someone mentioned the browns game, but I was thinking it was another game...either way, there was a game where he got hit pretty good but he got up rubbing his hand.

Who knows.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree he was not sharp but I'll take 3 TD passes vs 1 int in a game any day of the week. Romo is the least of this teams problems

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
nyc;2312161 said:

Just for comparison sake here are the stats for two QBs, Romo and Peyton Manning:

Romo: 104 of 162, 64.2%, 1368 Yards, 8.4 avg, 11 TDs, 6.8%, 5 INTs, 3.1%, 2 fumbles lost.

Peyton: 96 of 154, 62.3%, 1031 yards, 6.7 avg, 5 TDs, 3.2%, 5 INTs, 3.2%, 0 fumbles lost.

Manning is widely considered to be the best QB in the league, or at least tied with Brady for the top spot, yet he has thrown as many INTs as TDs and is struggling this season even though he has all of his weapons healthy and available.

I am frustrated by Romo's turnovers but I am not yet concerned about them to the point where I would call him names. He has also produced more than twice as many TDs as INTs and even when you throw in the fumbles lost he still has a good ratio of positive plays to negative plays.

Romo has only been sacked 4 times compared with Manning's 7.

We seem to expect perfection from Romo but cut other guys slack and that's not fair. Make a comparison to the other top QBs and Romo is right in there amongst them.

One last thing, only one QB has thrown more TDs this season than Romo(11) and that is Favre(12) but more than half of them(6) came in one game. Philip Rivers has the same number as Romo with Warner and Cutler just behind at 10 each. The guy makes plays and scores points and tat's what we want.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
THUMPER;2312252 said:
Just for comparison sake here are the stats for two QBs, Romo and Peyton Manning:

Romo: 104 of 162, 64.2%, 1368 Yards, 8.4 avg, 11 TDs, 6.8%, 5 INTs, 3.1%, 2 fumbles lost.

Peyton: 96 of 154, 62.3%, 1031 yards, 6.7 avg, 5 TDs, 3.2%, 5 INTs, 3.2%, 0 fumbles lost.

Manning is widely considered to be the best QB in the league, or at least tied with Brady for the top spot, yet he has thrown as many INTs as TDs and is struggling this season even though he has all of his weapons healthy and available.

I am frustrated by Romo's turnovers but I am not yet concerned about them to the point where I would call him names. He has also produced more than twice as many TDs as INTs and even when you throw in the fumbles lost he still has a good ratio of positive plays to negative plays.

We seem to expect perfection from Romo but cut other guys slack and that's not fair. Make a comparison to the other top QBs and Romo is right in there amongst them.

Well Manning might not be 100% after that injury.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2312261 said:
Well Manning might not be 100% after that injury.

The point is that Romo is STILL in the top-5 in pretty much every category. A few years ago we would have killed to have a QB in the upper half of the league!

juck

Reaction score
Hey he is having a "shooters slump" as they say in basketball.Lucky for Tony the running game bailed him out again.Its a team game.He will work it out and its better now then at the end.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
THUMPER;2312252 said:

One last thing, only one QB has thrown more TDs this season than Romo(11) and that is Favre(12) but more than half of them(6) came in one game. Philip Rivers has the same number as Romo with Warner and Cutler just behind at 10 each. The guy makes plays and scores points and tat's what we want.

So what you're saying is a QB under a lot less duress playing on a team that currently has A LOT MORE of issues is turning the ball over less.

Paint it any color you want, the fact remains. Excessive turnovers can cause losses. Romo's turnover in the Commander game was a major reason for the loss, and his turnovers against the Bengals put the team in position to lose.

I'm not claiming the sky is falling here, I'm just saying he is completely wrong saying that the turnovers don't matter. They do, and are partially responsible for the loss to Washington.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;2312287 said:
So what you're saying is a QB under a lot less duress playing on a team that currently has A LOT MORE of issues is turning the ball over less.

Paint it any color you want, the fact remains. Excessive turnovers can cause losses. Romo's turnover in the Commander game was a major reason for the loss, and his turnovers against the Bengals put the team in position to lose.

I'm not claiming the sky is falling here, I'm just saying he is completely wrong saying that the turnovers don't matter. They do, and are partially responsible for the loss to Washington.

Oh please when a SB and it would be time for a change? Get real

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
nyc;2312291 said:

Yeah and the 4 guys ranked ahead of him in passer rating have each thrown ONE fewer INT than Tony. Great stat... NOT!

Once again, the point is that he is not playing badly when compared to the other top QBs in the league.

He has a QB rating of 100.5 and a record of 4-1. Favre & Brees are ranked ahead of him but Favre had a bye and Brees plays the Vikings tonight. We'll see where they are after they have played the same number of games as Romo.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2312292 said:
Oh please when a SB and it would be time for a change? Get real

English please.

btw, (not directed at you) We are -4 in the Give away/take away. Thats tied for second to last. The Bengals are the worst with -5 give away/take away. Romo is averaging 1.6 turnovers a game. If he keeps his streak of at least one INT a game and either has a second INT or a lost fumble next week, he will be averaging two turnovers a game.

To average two turnovers a game WILL lose you some games.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
THUMPER;2312300 said:
Yeah and the 4 guys ranked ahead of him in passer rating have each thrown ONE fewer INT than Tony. Great stat... NOT!

Once again, the point is that he is not playing badly when compared to the other top QBs in the league.

He has a QB rating of 100.5 and a record of 4-1. Favre & Brees are ranked ahead of him but Favre had a bye and Brees plays the Vikings tonight. We'll see where they are after they have played the same number of games as Romo.

Ok Wade. Lets take the good as mask the bad.

Like learning Chess (which you're always learning no matter how good you are.) If you make excuses for your mistakes you never get better. Instead analyze why you committed the mistake and correct it.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
nyc;2312310 said:
English please.

btw, (not directed at you) We are -4 in the Give away/take away. Thats tied for second to last. The Bengals are the worst with -5 give away/take away. Romo is averaging 1.6 turnovers a game. If he keeps his streak of at least one INT a game and either has a second INT or a lost fumble next week, he will be averaging two turnovers a game.

How about the TD passes if he keeps that up then what? You take the 1 int and throw away the TD passes? Come on this makes no sense. Turning the ball over can loses game and throwing 3 TD passes will win a hell of a lot as well.

aikemirv

Reaction score
nyc;2312310 said:
English please.

At least 2 Int's dropped yesterday. It is not up to Romo to make defensive TO's.

We have not forced any - the 2 drops by Hamlin and Pacman were as big as the int and fumble by Romo and yet we have Romo threads. What about Barbers fumble. 2 so far this year and both at critical times.

Too much focus on Romo IMO.