Ron White: If you quit listening I'll shut up

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone seen this new comedy special on Netflix? This might be the best standup I've seen in 10 years. I think it's White's best.

I didn't know it was out there. I'll make it a point to check it out. Thanks for the tip!
:thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I laughed one time during the entire performance, the one about the back of his driver's license, and he's become too impressed with himself. The same with the one before this one.

I'll take Bill Burr and Tom Segura.

I've been watching a lot of these on Amazon and Netflix and I judge them by how many times I will rewind back for a joke. Bill Burr wins that contest, hands down, and his bit on population control is one of the best I've seen in 20 years. Any man that conceive of population control through torpedoing cruise ships is my kind of guy.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I like Ron White. I absolutely can not stand Chris Rock....

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I laughed one time during the entire performance, the one about the back of his driver's license, and he's become too impressed with himself. The same with the one before this one.

I've been watching a lot of these on Amazon and Netflix and I judge them by how many times I will rewind back for a joke. Bill Burr wins that contest, hands down, and his bit on population control is one of the best I've seen in 20 years. Any man that conceive of population control through torpedoing cruise ships is my kind of guy.

Burr is a legend. I like his earlier stuff better. Especially his bit about taking the train to see his girlfriend in the middle of the night in Harlem. It was on one of his early 30 minute Comedy Central gigs. I haven't been too impressed with recent comedy. I think Louis CK was on a level way beyond anyone else, but I've been trying to find something to keep me entertained since his hiatus. The latest Chappelle show was good but not as polished as his earlier stuff. What I liked about the Ron White special was how he wasn't trying to censor himself. But it fell a bit flat in the second half. The first 15 minutes were top notch in my opinion.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
Watched this a few weeks ago, thought it was funny though not as good as some of his other specials.

Adam Sandler's new special is surprisingly good imo.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I watched it but didn't like it as well as some of his previous stuff. The duck tacos did crack me up though.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I think I saw him at a Tulsa comedy club many years ago with Steven Wright. He had me laughing outta my seat.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really wasn't very funny to me except for maybe one small part as well. I liked him long ago but really don't care for him any more as it seems like vulgar and drunk jokes, which are not really funny, are all he has left these days. Not to mention it seemed a large portion of his routine was nothing more than a gripe session.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

Love Burr and Segura is coming up recently. Loved the 48 hours bit he did. I'm glad Burr is getting the stardom he deserves. His Phili rant is epic..15 m minutes of him roasting that city was too good.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It really wasn't very funny to me except for maybe one small part as well. I liked him long ago but really don't care for him any more as it seems like vulgar and drunk jokes, which are not really funny, are all he has left these days. Not to mention it seemed a large portion of his routine was nothing more than a gripe session.
The one he did before this was as lackluster to me and he spent too much time talking about his bud, Dr. Phil. I think White has gotten lazy about his writing and prep work and thinks he can just go out and name drop, drink and smoke and laugh at his own jokes. I agree with your observation and he lacks class.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Love Burr and Segura is coming up recently. Loved the 48 hours bit he did. I'm glad Burr is getting the stardom he deserves. His Phili rant is epic..15 m minutes of him roasting that city was too good.
Burr and Segura are my favorites because I have watched them progress and they pay attention to detail in their writing and do a good job of circling back and bringing in some payoffs.

I really liked Iliza Shlesinger but she got to repetitive with her schtick as did Kathleen Madigan's but they're both really clever and funny.

The one I identify the most with is Lewis Black because I share his anger and frustration. I don't think his is an act, he just walks on stage being himself. He also has some of the traits from the earlier comedians like Jack Benny, Alan King and George Burns. King was my favorite for a long time and I think he was Black's as well as he patterns himself after that kind of delivery.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Anyone know Patrice O'Neal? He didn't have too many specials but he was amazing before he died. Could've been the GOAT imo if he had more time.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Anyone know Patrice O'Neal? He didn't have too many specials but he was amazing before he died. Could've been the GOAT imo if he had more time.
Patrice O'Neal was great, even as one of the warehouse workers in the Office (usually punking Michael Scott):D. Aka the man who Amy Schumer stole jokes from...she used to lead for him. He could roast the whole audience and sometimes did.

Last edited:

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Burr and Segura are my favorites because I have watched them progress and they pay attention to detail in their writing and do a good job of circling back and bringing in some payoffs.

I really liked Iliza Shlesinger but she got to repetitive with her schtick as did Kathleen Madigan's but they're both really clever and funny.

The one I identify the most with is Lewis Black because I share his anger and frustration. I don't think his is an act, he just walks on stage being himself. He also has some of the traits from the earlier comedians like Jack Benny, Alan King and George Burns. King was my favorite for a long time and I think he was Black's as well as he patterns himself after that kind of delivery.
Is that Segura's wife? I know he does a podcast with his wife who's also a comedian. Edit: never mind it's not her, they do look similar though. I agree, Lewis Black's rage seems authentic and like the way he paces his material to get to that boiling point where he seems like he's about to have a stroke.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Burr is a legend. I like his earlier stuff better. Especially his bit about taking the train to see his girlfriend in the middle of the night in Harlem. It was on one of his early 30 minute Comedy Central gigs. I haven't been too impressed with recent comedy. I think Louis CK was on a level way beyond anyone else, but I've been trying to find something to keep me entertained since his hiatus. The latest Chappelle show was good but not as polished as his earlier stuff. What I liked about the Ron White special was how he wasn't trying to censor himself. But it fell a bit flat in the second half. The first 15 minutes were top notch in my opinion.
You hit the nail on the head for me as well. Louis CK is my fave and still love Chappelle but tbh his story telling style can be hit or miss. I also liked his stuff more so bf he took his break but it it is still good stand-up, etc. Martin Lawrence's "You So Crazy" is still in my top 5 and is one of the few specials that aged well. I'll check out tater salad tonight.