Twitter: Rookie FA class the strongest we've seen in a while?

John813

Reaction score
I'd agree if it wasn't for the "Jerry Loyalty" factor. There's times I think Jerry thinks he owes guys like Hurns something. As shrewd a business guy he is, sometimes he makes me :huh:. . .

IIRC the option for Hurns wasn't fully guaranteed but they were still going to have that dead cap had they not exercised his 2nd year option. So, at that point, why not bring him in to see if he can push a young guy for the 53 man squad. I still think he's on the outside looking in when it comes to contract and play, but with a 80 man roster and boatloads of cap space there's no rush to cut him/not bring him in.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Same here. Loyal to a fault.

Jason Witten
Sean Lee
Tyrone Crawford
Now Allen Hurns (though we'll see what ultimately happens there)

Maybe Witten, Lee took a pay cut, though, so I wouldn't count him.

Crawford has been a need. Then there's Dez & Ware to consider.

I think it may be more perception then reality.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe Witten, Lee took a pay cut, though, so I wouldn't count him.

Crawford has been a need. Then there's Dez & Ware to consider.

I think it may be more perception then reality.

I think it's more as a bang for the buck and return on investment not being there rather than calling them bad players. Just good guys that are overpaid.

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
More than 25-30% of NFL players are undrafted,some of these guys have a great shot to make the team
Usually that 25-30% aren't necessarily with the team that signs them first. Dallas is a rarity in that they have hit on some high profile ones over the years. There also those they paid big bonuses to sign but don't make it anywhere.

A lot of the time, UDFAs have to make the right choice where they can make the team.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I think Hyatt and Wise have a real shot to make the 53. Would not be surprised at all if Wise could beat out Daniel Ross.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that between Guyton, Devin Smith, or Cedrick Wilson, one of them should be able to push Allen Hurns and his bloated salary off the roster.
We need to get trim before the next NFLPA agreement.

calicowboy54

Reaction score
Willing to bet a penny at least one, maybe two of the LBers make it.......

Larry Allen, Jr. - OL (Harvard)

Daniel Wise - DL (Kansas)

Chris Westry - DB (Kentucky)

Jon'Vea Johnson - WR (Toledo)

Jalen Guyton - WR (North Texas)

Brandon Knight - OL (Indiana)

Ricky Walker - DL (Virginia Tech)

Justin Phillips - LB (Oklahoma State)

Luke Gifford - LB (Nebraska)

Nate Hall - LB (Northwestern)

Mitch Hyatt - OL (Clemson)

Derrick Puni - OL (Central Missouri)

Andrew Dowell - LB (Michigan State)

After watching tape on these guys i'd say these are the ones that could stick:
Andrew Dowell - LB (Michigan State)
Nate Hall - LB (Northwestern)
Mitch Hyatt - OL (Clemson)
Jalen Guyton - WR (North Texas)
Chris Westry - DB (Kentucky)
Daniel Wise - DL (Kansas)

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Same here. Loyal to a fault.

Jason Witten
Sean Lee
Tyrone Crawford
Now Allen Hurns (though we'll see what ultimately happens there)

True but couple things the three all have in common........originally drafted by Cowboys and high character. In fact, a little research will show Jerry and Stephen rarely cut/release players with outstanding contracts ( especially true for starters or players with guaranteed money). My personal feeling, if he's healthy, Hurns is completely safe ( at least this year ). He gives them an experienced receiver who can play all three positions. Remember Stephen said Hurns "could" replace Beasley if they weren't able to sign a regular slot guy. Bottom line, he doesn't cost much and can valuable insurance for the position but he could very be inactive for a number of games.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True but couple things the three all have in common........originally drafted by Cowboys and high character. In fact, a little research will show Jerry and Stephen rarely cut/release players with outstanding contracts ( especially true for starters or players with guaranteed money). My personal feeling, if he's healthy, Hurns is completely safe ( at least this year ). He gives them an experienced receiver who can play all three positions. Remember Stephen said Hurns "could" replace Beasley if they weren't able to sign a regular slot guy. Bottom line, he doesn't cost much and can valuable insurance for the position but he could very be inactive for a number of games.

Sorry, but I think that $6.25 million for what is at best your #4 receiving option is "costing much".

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Sorry, but I think that $6.25 million for what is at best your #4 receiving option is "costing much".

But an injury to any top 3 can elevate him #2 or 3. In fact, coz his experience Dak, he's the only receiver I'm, trusting to replace Gallup or Cobb (especially). That the comfort of know that insurance is there, justifies his $6M salary IMO easy.

bodi

Reaction score
Derrick Puni - OL (Central Missouri) - I mean this guy is throwing people to the ground

On the pro-day circuit, some small-school players stand out, and Puni is one of them of this year. The 6-foot-4, 326-pounder has good size and was athletic in the field work. His numbers of a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-1 broad jump, 4.77 seconds in the short shuttle, and 1.84 seconds in the 10-yard split were all very impressive numbers for an offensive lineman. He has special athleticism to project as a swing tackle/guard backup who could develop into a starter. Puni could end up being a late-round pick or a priority free agent who ends up being a steal.

Mitch Hyatt - OL (Clemson) does not show a mean streak

Justin Phillips - LB (Oklahoma State)

Daniel Wise - DL (Kansas

this three guys make the team IMO