Rookies who stays and who goes

Sydla

Reaction score
I think unless hes total trash...he will be stashed on the PS.

I'd guess that too. But he has a lot of guys to pass to make the 53 at OG - Williams, Frederick, Looney, McGovern, Sua are all better options at OG.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'd guess that too. But he has a lot of guys to pass to make the 53 at OG - Williams, Frederick, Looney, McGovern, Sua are all better options at OG.
injury is just about the only pathway I see for him as well. UNLESS he's a chip off the ole block and has a surprising camp...you never know who will emerge.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
on the 53...Hill(wont play much this season)
McGovern(wont play much this season)
Pollard possible cut or ps
M Jackson(backup wont play much)
Weber possible cut or ps depending on injuries.

p squad or cut..Jelks, Westry(fa), Knight(fa). Hyatt, wise, j Jackson, wilson

Rayman70

Reaction score
Pollard is not gonna be a PS guy or cut StarBoyz83. NO WAY. He will be getting plenty of PT as long as he is healthy. Special teams will be his calling card to begin with. HILL AND McGovern will play plenty barring injury. I agree with you on Weber. Agree that Westry will be a PS guy or cut. But I see Wise and Jackson...both Jacksons as keepers. Means guys like Showers will finally be mercifully cut lol...and even could see Taco being cut unless we get hit by injuries.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Tavon Austin could well be a cut...I meant to mention that. Showers, Austin, Taco...could all get cut.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score

I’m not sure you could be more wrong about Hill and Pollard.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After our first three picks, hard to see any of the rest making it. I’m sure Hill will make it but he could also easily get buried in that deep DL rotation unless he really pops.

Who do you consider to be in front of him that would "bury him" in a "deep DL rotation"?

I don’t think our draft was very good, however that’s not a big knock on our front office, I didn’t think the talent in this draft was very good. Plus, we are pretty deep and talented at several units.

Then someone will be proven very right, or very wrong. Because McClay and the scouts believe that they were able to acquire 15 players from their draft board.

I think that there is more transition on the horizon than many fans do. Hill (and maybe Ross?) are about the only defensive tackles under contract for next year. That means that there is plenty of room for change there. And given all of the big money contracts to be doled out, there may not be enough left for Byron Jones or Anthony Brown either, that might mean significant changes at cornerback as well.

I don't think they drafted and signed all of these guys just to cut them before truly seeing what they have.

ESisback

Reaction score
How you gone ask somebody to do something you didnt do? You've set no standards for your very own question. For instance, is making the practice squad the same as making the team?

Mike Webber doesn't make the team. But he gets plucked off of our practice squad. Micheal Jackson gets added to the practice squad then moved onto the real roster later on in the year.

Meaning no harm. Just having a little fun with you ...garyv.

They should expand beyond 53. Or else outlaw poaching from the PS. We lose someone promising too many times.

I see:
OL—10
QB—2
RB—4
TE—3
WR—5
ST—3
DL—10 or 11
LB—6
DB—9 or 10

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This might be the worst analysis that I've seen.

Hill will be in the DT rotation.

Pollard is extremely unlikely to get cut.

ghst187

Reaction score
Who do you consider to be in front of him that would "bury him" in a "deep DL rotation"

Then someone will be proven very right, or very wrong. Because McClay and the scouts believe that they were able to acquire 15 players from their draft board.

I think that there is more transition on the horizon than many fans do. Hill (and maybe Ross?) are about the only defensive tackles under contract for next year. That means that there is plenty of room for change there. And given all of the big money contracts to be doled out, there may not be enough left for Byron Jones or Anthony Brown either, that might mean significant changes at cornerback as well.

I don't think they drafted and signed all of these guys just to cut them before truly seeing what they have.

Collins, Woods, Covington, Crawford....

Just bc they were on our board doesn’t mean they were exceptionally talented. I just thought it was a thin draft overall, obviously our guys had to figure out who they wanted from that whether it was a good or bad draft.
Agree on the DBs but how many spots immediately will be available? Not many IMO and if we try to stash them on PS they can get signed by others. So we will see.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

3866176_c6939.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Collins, Woods, Covington, Crawford....

Last year of contract, last year of contract, signed a one year contract, candidate to be cut or replaced....

That's the potential turnover at the position I'm talking about.

Just bc they were on our board doesn’t mean they were exceptionally talented. I just thought it was a thin draft overall, obviously our guys had to figure out who they wanted from that whether it was a good or bad draft.

Respectfully, I'd be interested to hear why you feel it was a "thin draft", most opinions said otherwise?

Agree on the DBs but how many spots immediately will be available? Not many IMO and if we try to stash them on PS they can get signed by others. So we will see.

Given the pending transition? I'd say six cornerbacks. And up to 10 defensive linemen kept as well.

I think it will be a 26-24 roster split between the defense and offense this year, with the team going with just two quarterbacks and three tight ends.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tavon Austin could well be a cut...I meant to mention that. Showers, Austin, Taco...could all get cut.

They won't cut Taco.

At worst case they would trade him for a 7th.

I think benching him last season for attitude issues will force the issue for him personally this year.

He'll either take it as a wake-up call or his attitude will get worse.

Tavon Austin's fate is dependent on him being the starting Punt Returner.

As long as Cobb and Pollard stay healthy for all of the pre-season, Austin is unlikely to get opportunities on offense.

Pollard was not a Punt Returner in college but was a terrific Kick Returner.

I'm curious to see if he can return Punts. He had good hands and transitions from catch to run very well which bodes well for him returning Punts.

I see zero possibility of Showers making the 53 man roster and I think his PS eligibility is over.

Showers might have set a record for being with the team the longest without being on the 53 man roster.

That might even be an NFL record not just a Cowboys record...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lmao this yr is gonna surprise u.

Westry, Jelks, Hill, McGovern, Pollard, Wilson, Weber, Jackson, Jackson, Knight, Puni, Hyatt, Wise, Walker and both Guyton and Johnson make this team.

New blood save cap to resign good players.
On the outs.
Brown, Taco, L.Collins, M.Collins, Crawford, Frazior, Lanior, Hurns, N.Brown, Filo, Rush, Looney, Lewis, Gathers, Smith, Thompson and maybe Garrett

Sorry to be rude. You're probably a nice chap, but you seem very uninformed. It's as if you just started following NFL football this year or you just like to play the shock-jock role.

There is literally Zero chance that all of those players make the 53 man roster.

They carried 8 OL on the 53 last season. All of those players remain on the roster and Frederick appears to be back as well which makes 9.

Only 2 have any realistic chance of being cut which leaves 7.

That means they would have to carry 10 which is rare AND cut Joe Looney who was a 16 game starter last season.

CB Westry
CB Jackson
DE Jelks
DE Jackson
DT Hill
DT Wise
DT Walker
OL McGovern
OL Knight
OL Puni
OL Hyatt

RB Pollard
RB Weber
Safety Wilson
WR Guyton
WR Johnson

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
This might be the worst analysis that I've seen.

Hill will be in the DT rotation.

Pollard is extremely unlikely to get cut.

Hill will be In the rotation but I dont think he will be playing much until about half season.

Pollard staying depends on Austin, Weber and Cobb's heath I feel.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How is it hard for Weber to make the 53? Our TB depth is pretty pitiful right now. Unless his knee is banged up or he totally sucks, he's going to be on the 53 as a backup TB IMO.
I say that because he was a low round draft pick and because of Garrett's history. He doesn't give too many young players a chance on the offensive side of the ball. Especially low round picks. Dak only got his chance because of injury. Gallup got his chance because the other WR were ineffective. He tries to bring young guys into the mix slowly. But I dont think he'll like the idea of two rookies backing up Zeke. Heck I like Weber better than Pollard.

They normally carry 4 RBs (including FB in the 4).

They've indicated that FB Olawale will get opportunities as a RB which means they see him as a veteran backup RB.

Pollard will make the team, which means either somebody beats out Weber for the 4th spot or they only carry 3 including the FB.

Regardless of who gets the 4th spot, that player is likely not on the 46 man game day roster.

It's highly likely they can retain Jackson and Chunn on the practice squad.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
They normally carry 4 RBs (including FB in the 4).

They've indicated that FB Olawale will get opportunities as a RB which means they see him as a veteran backup RB.

Pollard will make the team, which means either somebody beats out Weber for the 4th spot or they only carry 3 including the FB.

Regardless of who gets the 4th spot, that player is likely not on the 46 man game day roster.

It's highly likely they can retain Jackson and Chunn on the practice squad.
If Weber or Jackson gets put on the practice squad they will get picked up by someone else. Either way we lose a pretty good back.

Xavier187

Reaction score
Sorry to be rude. You're probably a nice chap, but you seem very uninformed. It's as if you just started following NFL football this year or you just like to play the shock-jock role.

There is literally Zero chance that all of those players make the 53 man roster.

They carried 8 OL on the 53 last season. All of those players remain on the roster and Frederick appears to be back as well which makes 9.

Only 2 have any realistic chance of being cut which leaves 7.

That means they would have to carry 10 which is rare AND cut Joe Looney who was a 16 game starter last season.

CB Westry
CB Jackson
DE Jelks
DE Jackson
DT Hill
DT Wise
DT Walker
OL McGovern
OL Knight
OL Puni
OL Hyatt

RB Pollard
RB Weber
Safety Wilson
WR Guyton
WR Johnson

The way you need to look at it is there alot of money that has been spent and will be spent very soon. A 2m dollar player that is avg at best is not something you just keep on the roster. You can save the money and use it on your primium guys.
Js how are they gonna pay Zeke Dak Cooper Jones Jones Awuzie then Van Der Esch?

There is gonna be a crazy change on this roster.