Roster Possiblities 2019

Sandyf

Reaction score
Cowboys offseason 2019

We know that the roster for the off season will be 90 and we know that of the 90 will be some draft picks (likely 6), some UDFAs, some second tier/third tier free agents and hopefully maybe 1 or 2 first tier free agents. To get a little idea here is what we have including IR and Taxi squad guys and future contract guys and best guess as to who they resign of our own free agents and possibly who they are looking at from a draft side of things.

As to the coaching staff, expect Moore to be the OC, Kitna the QB coach, Nussmeier the passing coordinator and a TE coach to be named later.

Offense:

QB – Dak Prescott, Cooper Rush, Mike White

Would expect Dak to get extended although for how long and at what cost is up for grabs at this point and if Elliott along with Cooper work out a deal in order for the triplets to stay together then could be a good thing. The Cowboys seem to like Rush and White and now with both having time, I would doubt we see a change unless we sign an UDFA QB who beats one of the them out, he will be camp fodder. (5)

RB – Ezekiel Elliott, Darius Jackson

We seem to be looking for a back that catches well out of the backfield and a more shifty type runner i.e. Spoles type to complement Zeke. Jackson and Jordan Churn will compete for a spot at RB. I do believe we resign Rod Smith to be not just a RB but a FB, a position he has done before. I do see us drafting a guy like Bryce Love out of Stanford who if not for the ACL rehab probably goes 2nd round. Probably sign 2 UDFA guys for camp but believe the final roster with keep no more than 4 and depending on other positions maybe on 3. (7)

TE – Blake Jarwin, Dalton Shultz, Rico Gathers

Dallas will keep 4 TEs. I believe Swaim will be signed elsewhere so we most likely draft a TE and it is a good year to do so. I do not believe we sign any in free agency unless Swaim doesn’t get any offers. Gathers is a guy none of us have figured out but coaches seem to like the way he is coming along. We will have at least 1 extra in camp. Draft guys that seem to fit the Dallas mode i.e. must block are T.J. Hockenson, Irv Smith Jr., Zach Gentry, and Foster Moreau. I could see Dallas attempting to get Smith or Hockenson if possible. Best guess is we spend a 2nd or 3rd round shot on a TE. (5)

WR – Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, Noah Brown, Cedric Wilson, Allen Hurns, Lance Lenoir, Reggie Davis, Devin Smith

Offense scheme will probably dictate we carry 6 WR on the final roster and then one or two on the taxi squad. Normally we go to camp with 10 so suspect maybe a draft pick or just two UDFA guys. I do not expect Austin or Beasley or Williams to be back. Austin has to many injuries to justify a large contract, Beasley’s latest comments means he is gone and Williams has been replaceable for two years. Williams will give us $2.5 million in dead money but will add $2.250 million to the cap. Devin Smith could show enough before the draft to make drafting a WR an afterthought as he has Austin speed. Wilson play outside and in the slot for Boise St and would have made the team last year except for the shoulder injury. Coaches like Brown’s route running, blocking and speed so someone is going to have to beat him out. Draft guys that could fit what Dallas wants would be Andy Isabella, Parris Campbell, David Sills and Antoine Wesley although I will be surprised if we draft a WR before the 4th/5th round. (12)

OL – Tyron Smith, Connor Williams, Travis Frederick, Zach Martin, La’el Collins, Joe Looney, Xavier Su’a-Filo, Parker Ehinger, Adam Redmond, Jacob Campos, Cody Wichmann, Dustin Stanton, Korren Kirven

Normally we carry 9 to 10 OL on the final roster and will be no different in 2019. Dallas most likely resigns Cameron Fleming to a short term deal as the backup OT but we could also see them drafting a project or maybe higher if a good falls to compete with Collins. Camp usually carries 14/17 guys so good chance we don’t draft one this year but one certainly could be that UDFA that he a player. Getting Frederick back is huge for this team and Williams with an off season is also huge. Ehinger is a guy we traded for and believe they think he can be a great backup at OG and OT. (15)

Defense:

DL – Demarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory, Dorance Armstrong, Tyrone Crawford, Maliek Collins, Taco Charlton, Antwaun Woods, Aziz Shittu,

Cowboys probably resign both Reid and Ross to vet min contracts at least for camp although probably only for camp. There will be 8 or 9 on the final roster. The David Irving thing is going to be interesting although I do not expect him back, it is still a possibility. Most of us would like Dallas to draft a true 1 tech and I suspect we will still like us to do that after the draft. I do see Dallas drafting at least one DT and a DE although it would not surprise me as to where. I do believe Taco Charlton could be traded for the right price although I suspect Dallas will want at least a #2 if not a #2 and #3 and do not believe anyone will bite. Camp will have around 15 DL types so expect a low tier free agent and a couple UDFAs to go with a couple of draft picks. Guys I see them being interested in are Isaiah Buggs, Daylon Mack, Jerry Tillery, Khalen Saunders, Renell Wren, Corbin Kaufusi, Montez Sweat, Joe Jackson, Carl Granderson, and Jalen Jelks. We probably see an early pick on one if someone falls into the second round. (15)

LB – Jaylon Smith, Leighton Vander Esch, Joe Thomas, Chris Covington, Kyle Queiro, Sean Lee

Six linebackers is the normal for the 53 and I do not expect 2019 to be any different. I do expect Sean Lee back at a greatly reduced salary probably saving us some $4 million on the cap and then see him retiring after 2019 and becoming one of our coaches. In camp we can expect 10 guys which probably is one draft pick and 3 UDFA guys. It is possible we sign a low end vet but don’t expect much there. I can only see one guy new making the team. Guys most likely will be late round guys like Ben Banogu, Porter Gustin, Drue Tranquill, and Leo Lewis to name a few. (10)

CB/S – Chidobe Awuzie, Bryon Jones, Jourdan Lewis, Anthony Brown, Jeff Heath, Kavon Frazier, Xavier Woods, Teston Decoud, CJ Goodwin, Darian Thompson,

I do believe that we carry 9 or 10 on the 53 as the NFL has evolved to where you need the bodies in the secondary. We could see a signing or two in free agency. Earl Thomas is easily the most talked about but it will ultimately be money for him and we will not get into a bidding war over him. Landon Collins is another name to think about. Most likely we spend a pick on a S and one on a CB and definitely sign 3/4/5 as UDFAs. Camp probably sees 15 total. Names in the draft that fit Richard would be Deionte Thompson (1st round guy but if he should fall into late 1st i.e. 28-32, could see Dallas moving up to get him), Taylor Rapp, Mike Bell, C Gardner-Johnson, Amani Hooker, Kris Boyd, Rock Ya-Sin, JoeJuan Williams, and Jordan Brown. (15)

ST – Chris Jones, Brett Mahler, LP Ladouceur

They will bring in someone to challenge Mahler and Jones although really going to have to outshine both to make the team. I do believe we resign Ladouceur for two years. (6)

Money wise we can resign Lawrence and extend Dak, Zeke and Cooper with no problem. Extending Jones might be difficult though if we sign Earl Thomas.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope they resign many of our own players. Keep the continuity. Doesn't mean they all have to make the team. It just means we will have some good TC competition.

I need to go through and do my own roster breakdown and thoughts, and of the FA's we have.
I think we have about 55 players under contract including around 8 on reserved / futures contracts.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Resigning Jones needs to be a priority.

Cut Gathers. He has shown nothing.

Trading Taco is a real possibility but I think you have dramatically overrated what we'd ask for him.

I think the most likely scenario is trading #58 + Taco + change (6th rounder) to get to the end of the first or beginning of the 2nd if there is a guy we like, and most likely it'd be a new DE or DT.

dallas72

Reaction score
Sign
TJ Yeldon backup RB
A Humpries slot WR TB
TE- maybe J James hes fast and cheap and 6 7
QB-Nick Mullens backup or RG3

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys offseason 2019

We know that the roster for the off season will be 90 and we know that of the 90 will be some draft picks (likely 6), some UDFAs, some second tier/third tier free agents and hopefully maybe 1 or 2 first tier free agents. To get a little idea here is what we have including IR and Taxi squad guys and future contract guys and best guess as to who they resign of our own free agents and possibly who they are looking at from a draft side of things.

As to the coaching staff, expect Moore to be the OC, Kitna the QB coach, Nussmeier the passing coordinator and a TE coach to be named later.

Offense:

QB – Dak Prescott, Cooper Rush, Mike White

Would expect Dak to get extended although for how long and at what cost is up for grabs at this point and if Elliott along with Cooper work out a deal in order for the triplets to stay together then could be a good thing. The Cowboys seem to like Rush and White and now with both having time, I would doubt we see a change unless we sign an UDFA QB who beats one of the them out, he will be camp fodder. (5)

RB – Ezekiel Elliott, Darius Jackson

We seem to be looking for a back that catches well out of the backfield and a more shifty type runner i.e. Spoles type to complement Zeke. Jackson and Jordan Churn will compete for a spot at RB. I do believe we resign Rod Smith to be not just a RB but a FB, a position he has done before. I do see us drafting a guy like Bryce Love out of Stanford who if not for the ACL rehab probably goes 2nd round. Probably sign 2 UDFA guys for camp but believe the final roster with keep no more than 4 and depending on other positions maybe on 3. (7)

TE – Blake Jarwin, Dalton Shultz, Rico Gathers

Dallas will keep 4 TEs. I believe Swaim will be signed elsewhere so we most likely draft a TE and it is a good year to do so. I do not believe we sign any in free agency unless Swaim doesn’t get any offers. Gathers is a guy none of us have figured out but coaches seem to like the way he is coming along. We will have at least 1 extra in camp. Draft guys that seem to fit the Dallas mode i.e. must block are T.J. Hockenson, Irv Smith Jr., Zach Gentry, and Foster Moreau. I could see Dallas attempting to get Smith or Hockenson if possible. Best guess is we spend a 2nd or 3rd round shot on a TE. (5)

WR – Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, Noah Brown, Cedric Wilson, Allen Hurns, Lance Lenoir, Reggie Davis, Devin Smith

Offense scheme will probably dictate we carry 6 WR on the final roster and then one or two on the taxi squad. Normally we go to camp with 10 so suspect maybe a draft pick or just two UDFA guys. I do not expect Austin or Beasley or Williams to be back. Austin has to many injuries to justify a large contract, Beasley’s latest comments means he is gone and Williams has been replaceable for two years. Williams will give us $2.5 million in dead money but will add $2.250 million to the cap. Devin Smith could show enough before the draft to make drafting a WR an afterthought as he has Austin speed. Wilson play outside and in the slot for Boise St and would have made the team last year except for the shoulder injury. Coaches like Brown’s route running, blocking and speed so someone is going to have to beat him out. Draft guys that could fit what Dallas wants would be Andy Isabella, Parris Campbell, David Sills and Antoine Wesley although I will be surprised if we draft a WR before the 4th/5th round. (12)

OL – Tyron Smith, Connor Williams, Travis Frederick, Zach Martin, La’el Collins, Joe Looney, Xavier Su’a-Filo, Parker Ehinger, Adam Redmond, Jacob Campos, Cody Wichmann, Dustin Stanton, Korren Kirven

Normally we carry 9 to 10 OL on the final roster and will be no different in 2019. Dallas most likely resigns Cameron Fleming to a short term deal as the backup OT but we could also see them drafting a project or maybe higher if a good falls to compete with Collins. Camp usually carries 14/17 guys so good chance we don’t draft one this year but one certainly could be that UDFA that he a player. Getting Frederick back is huge for this team and Williams with an off season is also huge. Ehinger is a guy we traded for and believe they think he can be a great backup at OG and OT. (15)

Defense:

DL – Demarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory, Dorance Armstrong, Tyrone Crawford, Maliek Collins, Taco Charlton, Antwaun Woods, Aziz Shittu,

Cowboys probably resign both Reid and Ross to vet min contracts at least for camp although probably only for camp. There will be 8 or 9 on the final roster. The David Irving thing is going to be interesting although I do not expect him back, it is still a possibility. Most of us would like Dallas to draft a true 1 tech and I suspect we will still like us to do that after the draft. I do see Dallas drafting at least one DT and a DE although it would not surprise me as to where. I do believe Taco Charlton could be traded for the right price although I suspect Dallas will want at least a #2 if not a #2 and #3 and do not believe anyone will bite. Camp will have around 15 DL types so expect a low tier free agent and a couple UDFAs to go with a couple of draft picks. Guys I see them being interested in are Isaiah Buggs, Daylon Mack, Jerry Tillery, Khalen Saunders, Renell Wren, Corbin Kaufusi, Montez Sweat, Joe Jackson, Carl Granderson, and Jalen Jelks. We probably see an early pick on one if someone falls into the second round. (15)

LB – Jaylon Smith, Leighton Vander Esch, Joe Thomas, Chris Covington, Kyle Queiro, Sean Lee

Six linebackers is the normal for the 53 and I do not expect 2019 to be any different. I do expect Sean Lee back at a greatly reduced salary probably saving us some $4 million on the cap and then see him retiring after 2019 and becoming one of our coaches. In camp we can expect 10 guys which probably is one draft pick and 3 UDFA guys. It is possible we sign a low end vet but don’t expect much there. I can only see one guy new making the team. Guys most likely will be late round guys like Ben Banogu, Porter Gustin, Drue Tranquill, and Leo Lewis to name a few. (10)

CB/S – Chidobe Awuzie, Bryon Jones, Jourdan Lewis, Anthony Brown, Jeff Heath, Kavon Frazier, Xavier Woods, Teston Decoud, CJ Goodwin, Darian Thompson,

I do believe that we carry 9 or 10 on the 53 as the NFL has evolved to where you need the bodies in the secondary. We could see a signing or two in free agency. Earl Thomas is easily the most talked about but it will ultimately be money for him and we will not get into a bidding war over him. Landon Collins is another name to think about. Most likely we spend a pick on a S and one on a CB and definitely sign 3/4/5 as UDFAs. Camp probably sees 15 total. Names in the draft that fit Richard would be Deionte Thompson (1st round guy but if he should fall into late 1st i.e. 28-32, could see Dallas moving up to get him), Taylor Rapp, Mike Bell, C Gardner-Johnson, Amani Hooker, Kris Boyd, Rock Ya-Sin, JoeJuan Williams, and Jordan Brown. (15)

ST – Chris Jones, Brett Mahler, LP Ladouceur

They will bring in someone to challenge Mahler and Jones although really going to have to outshine both to make the team. I do believe we resign Ladouceur for two years. (6)

Money wise we can resign Lawrence and extend Dak, Zeke and Cooper with no problem. Extending Jones might be difficult though if we sign Earl Thomas.

If all of those players turn on their resignations, the team will struggle...