Rugby World Cup 2019

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Can’t see a thread about this... So a week into the tournament I’m starting one lol

Been some great games so far, Japan v Ireland probably the best... that was until this morning.
Wales 29-25 Australia
Outstanding game and so proud of the Welsh boys for beating a team who’ve been our nemesis for 20 years.
Only a group game so no prizes for winning it, and both teams will certainly qualify... but still a great win for Wales :)

Londonboy

Reaction score
Ireland looked great stomping the Scots and terrible losing to Japan.
England looked sluggish against Tonga, much better against the U.S.A.
Wales were hanging on in the end, but got a great win against the Wallabies.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
I can’t see past New Zealand as the winner...
Wales are probably the fittest of the northern hemisphere countries, but it shows we haven’t got game breaking players to come on the last 20 minutes.
New Zealand can bring on at least half a dozen who can break off a 60 yard try...

Londonboy

Reaction score
Organising the World Cup in Japan during Typhoon season and having no contingency plan in case a Typhoon hits.
Great job by World Rugby.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Organising the World Cup in Japan during Typhoon season and having no contingency plan in case a Typhoon hits.
Great job by World Rugby.

Yep... typical of organisers of a major tournament wanting it played outside of the major nations, but with no thought of what could go wrong...
I’ve no problem with it being played in Japan, the stadium’s and their fans have been fantastic... but it should have been moved to earlier in the year.
I hope the Scotland v Japan game goes ahead, as then there’ll be no debating on who has gone through... but if it is called off, Scotland can’t complain it’s cost them a Q/F place, not turning up against Ireland will be the reason.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Yep... typical of organisers of a major tournament wanting it played outside of the major nations, but with no thought of what could go wrong...
I’ve no problem with it being played in Japan, the stadium’s and their fans have been fantastic... but it should have been moved to earlier in the year.
I hope the Scotland v Japan game goes ahead, as then there’ll be no debating on who has gone through... but if it is called off, Scotland can’t complain it’s cost them a Q/F place, not turning up against Ireland will be the reason.
Well if it does get called off, I'm sure the Scots won't spend the next 4 years whining about it:rolleyes:

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
It does sound a particularly Scottish to get knocked out. Good to see the rugby boys following on from the womens football team and going the traditional glorious/ridiculous failure route rather than the mens football approach of the last 20 years, just being absolutely ***** and never coming close

Londonboy

Reaction score
Wow, awesome performance by Japan, glad it got settled on the pitch, Scotland can have no complaints and got beaten by a better side.

csirl

Reaction score
In the past Rugby was an amateur sport run by professional people. Now its a professional sport run by amateurs.

I know some people who work for World Rugby - their HQ is in Ireland. Over paid for the skills/experience they have.

Londonboy

Reaction score
In the past Rugby was an amateur sport run by professional people. Now its a professional sport run by amateurs.

I know some people who work for World Rugby - their HQ is in Ireland. Over paid for the skills/experience they have.
Proper chaps giving jobs to proper chaps.

Londonboy

Reaction score
England 19 NZ 7
Epic performance by England, I've never before seen an All Blacks team dominated like that, even their lone score was gifted to them by an overthrown lineout on one of the few occasions they made it into the English half of the pitch.
:yourock::flagwave::clap::yourock::bow::dance::oldcouple::yourock:

NeathBlue

Reaction score
England 19 NZ 7
Epic performance by England, I've never before seen an All Blacks team dominated like that, even their lone score was gifted to them by an overthrown lineout on one of the few occasions they made it into the English half of the pitch.
:yourock::flagwave::clap::yourock::bow::dance::oldcouple::yourock:

That was an unbelievable performance by England, fair play, probably their greatest ever performance.
As a Welshman, I’m not going to lie, I feel sick lol

Would love to think next week it’ll be a Wales v England final, but the truth is Wales are playing very poorly apart from the first 40 minutes against Australia... while the Boks are looking exceptional.

Londonboy

Reaction score
That was an unbelievable performance by England, fair play, probably their greatest ever performance.
As a Welshman, I’m not going to lie, I feel sick lol

Would love to think next week it’ll be a Wales v England final, but the truth is Wales are playing very poorly apart from the first 40 minutes against Australia... while the Boks are looking exceptional.
I think Wales can do it, They've shown recently that They have a strength of character that carries Them through adversity and finds a way to win.
I'd be more worried about playing Wales in the Final than the Boks.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
I think Wales can do it, They've shown recently that They have a strength of character that carries Them through adversity and finds a way to win.
I'd be more worried about playing Wales in the Final than the Boks.

Wales could beat England, but we’d never beat the All Blacks... we can’t get close to them.
That said, England are a juggernaut at the moment and they’re getting better.
They’ll never be the prettiest team on the eye, but right now they’re head and shoulders above the rest in this tournament.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Very disappointing result for Wales and it has to be said, disappointing performance...
We didn’t attack the Boks until they’d scored their try, once we did we got our try and had the momentum and we were going through the phases nicely... but giving a penalty away like we did there killed us.
Really can’t see South Africa beating England next week, they were underwhelming themselves today and will be on the wrong end of a 30 point defeat unless they improve dramatically.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Very disappointing result for Wales and it has to be said, disappointing performance...
We didn’t attack the Boks until they’d scored their try, once we did we got our try and had the momentum and we were going through the phases nicely... but giving a penalty away like we did there killed us.
Really can’t see South Africa beating England next week, they were underwhelming themselves today and will be on the wrong end of a 30 point defeat unless they improve dramatically.
Poor match to be honest (at least it was close and tense), endless poor quality box kicks and too many basic mistakes (it looked like a match played in a heavy downpour).
I didn't really understand Wales' tactics of continuously sending one-out runners to get repeatedly smashed backwards, none of the clever off-loading and quick changes of the point of attack that I've come to associate with this Wales team.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Wow South Africa :bow:
Unbelievable performance, they were as good if not better, as England were against New Zealand.
As for England, they didn’t turn up and looked ill prepared for this match.

Londonboy

Reaction score
Wow South Africa :bow:
Unbelievable performance, they were as good if not better, as England were against New Zealand.
As for England, they didn’t turn up and looked ill prepared for this match.
England's scrum got destroyed.
England made far too many basic passing and handling errors.
England kicked badly and seemed to have no plan to defeat the rush defence.
England never even tried to disrupt the 'Boks lineout.
South Africa did a far better job of slowing down or turning over ball at the breakdown.
South Africa suffocated England with their defensive tactics and strong tackling.