Twitter: Rumor: Cowboys making a strong push to sign Za'Darius Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
That's what scares me. Kearse played very well unexpectedly. Wants to get paid and this far hasn't yet. The Cowboys may think "hey, we found Kearse on a one year deal, we can just go out and do it again". The funny part that continues to make me laugh is that the Cowboys have gone cheap and played hardball even with Dak. But Zeke is sitting pretty and nobody talks about him and his contract. The Cowboys really screwed up with that.
Nobody mentions Zeke as it's been done to death that the earliest release is 2023.
The Kearse scenario comes about as the CAP situation means we have to sign JAGs to fill the roster, some work (like him and Hooker), some don't (Neal, Kayzee).
You do have a point that this year we're in a slightly better financial position and that Kearse is a fit...problem is we don't know what both are expecting?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don't see why at this point.

Not that Smith couldnt help but it doesn't really add up.

Is it a hedge on the Fowler bet, which is a hedge on the Armstrong bet?

Would another of those three been signed if Gregory didn't bail?

Maybe I'm just confused because I still don't understand how Gregory gets what he got then Fowler signs for peanuts when they have nearly the same skillset and resume when all is considered.

Reactions: CWR

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score

S Jones be like...
dollar.gif

Carson

Reaction score

Maybe I'm just confused because I still don't understand how Gregory gets what he got then Fowler signs for peanuts when they have nearly the same skillset and resume when all is considered.
More than likely, the thought process would be

FOWLER : Potential has been tapped, he is what he is.

GREGORY : Tons of upside and potential.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have Basham, Armstrong, Fowler and Golston. Garbage, yes but you have to think like them and I just doubt they would prioritize it enough to do this.

But if they do there's no question our's will be the largest offer and the most truthful one.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Would love to see Jermaine Johnson, Jr. fall to the Cowboys at the 24th pick.

Problem solved.

fivetwos

Reaction score
More than likely, the thought process would be

FOWLER : Potential has been tapped, he is what he is.

GREGORY : Tons of upside and potential.
I'd like to agree but it was probably more like him and Jerry being buddies.

I've thought for while that a GM either on the brink of firing or a brand new one going for it right away would make Gregory an offer we wouldn't want to match.

Yet we did anyway, then got lucky....but thats what they WANTED to do and it makes me sick.

Fowler is there for 1/5 and they wanted Gregory because him and Jerry are friends.

I'm hoping that at least things like that will go away when Jerry does. The kid probably has less of a need to be liked.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Smith is holding out for the big bucks, but the Cowboys aren't an organization likely to welcome that scenario. As long as Stephen is in charge of such signings, it's a shot in the dark. Jerry would probably have to step into the picture to make it happen. The chances of that happening aren't favorable if the past is any indication. It'd be great to have a GM with sound judgment. Stephen and Jerry fail miserably to fill that bill. It's a shame that they fail to face that fact throughout the worst times. We're approaching three decades of mismanagement with no end in sight.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
This team refuses to learn its lessons from acquiring injury-plagued players.

He's not really injury plagued. Sean Lee was injury plagued. Smith played 16 games in each of three out of the last four seasons. Yes, he injured his back last year but indications are he should be fine. I'd be with you if he had struggled with a back that kept him out of games in each of the last few seasons.

I am with you on Johnson but odds are he won't be there at 24 in the draft. Philly loves DL and they have three picks ahead of us.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Nobody mentions Zeke as it's been done to death that the earliest release is 2023.
The Kearse scenario comes about as the CAP situation means we have to sign JAGs to fill the roster, some work (like him and Hooker), some don't (Neal, Kayzee).
You do have a point that this year we're in a slightly better financial position and that Kearse is a fit...problem is we don't know what both are expecting?
yet both are all still on the market so..

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Seems to me he backed out when he saw other position players of his caliber cash in for larger amounts than he was about to get in Baltimore. Can't imagine he would be getting anything fruitful offered to him in Dallas. Unless Jerry offers him free rides on the yacht!

CWR

Reaction score

The star and "potential" inflated his value.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I'm not mad at a rotation of Smith, Armstrong, Fowler, Lawrence, Gholston. Always prefer blue chips but that's a deep edge that can do work and allow Parsons to roam around (which I think is his best bet).

Still need to find blue chip in the future, and I still am not a fan of the interior line.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
The unfortunate part is so many of us knuckleheads will spend the day refreshing any 15 seconds only to eventually watch him sign with somebody else. Probably the Rams to replace Von as they seem to have no issues coming up with money. But Stephen doesn't have batteries in his calculator I guess....

Status
Not open for further replies.