Rumor: Cowboys tried Trading up for WR

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Green wasn't the top guard on our board. Smith was. Now, maybe we would have taken Green instead of Smith at 24 because he's more play-ready, but the Jerry said both Green and Zion Johnson were rated below Smith, and the draft list he showed confirmed that neither were rated above him.
Yet they were both taken ahead of Smith. Will be interesting to see how well they rank the OL because outside the 1st round, not very well. If they were picking him as the eventual LT, that changes a lot on the board ranking.

plymkr

Reaction score
If this is true. The FO is dumber than I thought. Which is saying something.
Don't underestimate how dumb this front office is. Personally I think the draft went well. What good is a top flight receiver when the QB doesn't have time to throw the ball to him. Anyway if this is true I'm glad the trade didn't happen. I'm happy with out top 3 picks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Green wasn't the top guard on our board. Smith was. Now, maybe we would have taken Green instead of Smith at 24 because he's more play-ready, but the Jerry said both Green and Zion Johnson were rated below Smith, and the draft list he showed confirmed that neither were rated above him.
And you believe that?

Curious, did Jethro say that before or after the draft?

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I don't think they are capable of moving up or trading down effectively.

Teams know Jerry is impatient and try to get him to overpay; Stephen has referenced this publicly and has gone hard left and lowballs everyone. Teams don't look at us as realistic trade partners. The Eagles were willing to overpay some last year to get ahead of the Giants for DeVonta Smith.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
glad it didn't.
wouldn't have mind the move up for cross but not london.
love the jalen tolbert pick.
love the first 3 picks.
glad it worked out the way it did.
We need an Elvis song! It's my wife's birthday!

eromeopolk

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys were not shy about their desire to land a top receiver in the draft, but in the end, the team opted not to trade up instead selecting Tulsa offensive lineman Tyler Smith at No. 24. Locked on Cowboys’ Marcus Mosher reported the team attempted to move up on draft night to land USC wideout Drake London, Ohio State receiver Chris Olave or Mississippi State’s offensive lineman Charles Cross.

“Again, some of this is based off what we’re hearing and behind-the-scenes stuff, but the Cowboys were looking to trade up for Drake London or Charles Cross,” Mosher explained on the April 28 edition of “Locked On Cowboys.”Drake London goes eight, it’s far too high to trade up. Charles Cross goes nine to Seattle, I believe, too far to trade up. At that point, at least it seemed like the Cowboys were going to be patient and wait.

R
ead More: https://heavy.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/trade-rumors-nfl-draft/
Yes drafting WRs 3 in 4 years (trade for Cooper, Lamb, and London) will lead to the Arlington Jonesboys to become the 2008 Lions.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i'd rather have had arkansas wr treylon burks than london.
wouldn't have minded a move up for burks...wouldn't have cost as much.
but i don't like giving up picks.
i do like collecting them.

conner01

Reaction score
If this is true. The FO is dumber than I thought. Which is saying something.
Why?
If an elite WR slides down to the middle of the round it’s not so dumb to go get him when you consider the FA cost of a WR these days

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yet they were both taken ahead of Smith. Will be interesting to see how well they rank the OL because outside the 1st round, not very well. If they were picking him as the eventual LT, that changes a lot on the board ranking.

And I think the Cowboys would have also taken them in front of Smith because they were safer picks. Neither has technique issues that have to be fixed, and no matter how much you think you can fix those issues, it's not guaranteed. He has more upside than either Green or Johnson, but there's more risk involved as well.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
And you believe that?

Curious, did Jethro say that before or after the draft?

There is a post where Jones tried to show the Cowboys' board. Even though he pulled it back when Stephen essentially told him that he didn't need to be showing that to the media, it was held up long enough to be screen-captured and scrutinized. It shows that Smith was 16th like Jones said it was and neither Green or Johnson were above him.

Now, maybe they made that list and printed it out after they made the selection, but based on the reaction by Stephen and McCarthy, it appears to me that it was their actual board.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Why?
If an elite WR slides down to the middle of the round it’s not so dumb to go get him when you consider the FA cost of a WR these days

Doesnt really matter how elite your WR corp is when your o/line cant enable a run game nor protect your QB. The word is out and teams are are trying to contain our whole run game with 4 blockers and remain in coverage. Sorting the O-Line is critical ....regardless of how 'elite' the available receivers were.

This should be our mantra .... “We went in there and did what we needed to do: Stop the run and force them to be one-dimensional. See if Prescott could win the game for them,” -Jimmie Ward (after 49ers play-off win)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys were not shy about their desire to land a top receiver in the draft, but in the end, the team opted not to trade up instead selecting Tulsa offensive lineman Tyler Smith at No. 24. Locked on Cowboys’ Marcus Mosher reported the team attempted to move up on draft night to land USC wideout Drake London, Ohio State receiver Chris Olave or Mississippi State’s offensive lineman Charles Cross.

“Again, some of this is based off what we’re hearing and behind-the-scenes stuff, but the Cowboys were looking to trade up for Drake London or Charles Cross,” Mosher explained on the April 28 edition of “Locked On Cowboys.”Drake London goes eight, it’s far too high to trade up. Charles Cross goes nine to Seattle, I believe, too far to trade up. At that point, at least it seemed like the Cowboys were going to be patient and wait.

R
ead More: https://heavy.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/trade-rumors-nfl-draft/

Here's hoping this turns out like the Johnny Football vs. Zach Martin choice.

conner01

Reaction score
Doesnt really matter how elite your WR corp is when your o/line cant enable a run game nor protect your QB. The word is out and teams are are trying to contain our whole run game with 4 blockers and remain in coverage. Sorting the O-Line is critical ....regardless of how 'elite' the available receivers were.

This should be our mantra .... “We went in there and did what we needed to do: Stop the run and force them to be one-dimensional. See if Prescott could win the game for them,” -Jimmie Ward (after 49ers play-off win)
So you only want to draft linemen and they can only be in first
We could have gotten a guard in the second
We wouldn’t have got all the guys we did but if a top 2-3 player falls to the middle of the round then you have to consider going a getting them
By that thinking had Thibidaux fell to 14-15 you woull lol don’t have went and got him?
WR is quickly becoming a very expensive position