Rumor: Lincoln Riley "Very High" on the radar of Jerry and Stephen Jones

EJK24

Reaction score
I'm not advocating for Riley specifically but I'm amazed at how some people know what will happen if he comes here. How does anyone here know he cant adapt to an NFL team? How does anyone know he wont consider a veteran coach with pro experience to run his defense similar to what McVay did with the Rams? Just one small example but the point is I cant see how anyone here can be so sure what to expect without any real info to go off.

Riley and even Meyer who alot of people like could be failures here. They could be awful.

I'm not saying no to either guy but simply pointing out I really dont beleive it's that simple to pick a winner/loser as a coach.

Hardline

Reaction score
Money has a way of changing people's minds. Anyway the only thing I read here is that he's high on Jerry's list. It doesn't confirm that the interest is mutual and it might not be. Yet. But Jerry can be very convincing.

There's no salary cap on coaches and Jerry isn't getting any younger.
Top Division I college coaches already make NFL coach money

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
You guys crack me up. Meyer won at Utah and Bowling Green. A great coach. Riley is a complete unknown. You can’t see the difference?
Riley’s greatest success to me is he had a great offense at East Carolina prior to OU. Then he takes a pretty much above average QB in Hurts and has him 2nd in the heisman. He can adapt to any situation offensively whether it’s run 50 times and slow it down or go no huddle rapid fire and throw 50 times. They talked about this in the first game this year vs Baylor when they didn’t have CeeDee Lamb.

Side note: Riley was Belichickian in how he dealt with Lamb’s injury that week. He didn’t tell TV, the media or let anyone else say Lamb couldn’t play. He even had Lamb go through pregame warmups to not tip his hand. It’s a small detail but it goes into how much he wants to trick the opponent.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spurrier and Kelly ran college offenses.

Riley runs a pro- style offense that is run first and has the quarterback under center a lot. Tons of formations.

However, I don't think Dak can run the offense he wants. He'll probably pass because if that.
Or pass on Prescott and get his own guy.

Riley is known, albiet wrongly, for being this QB guru which relates to passing. His offense is all about the run and so was Kelly's. He ran the hurry up and quick strike and had a Heisman QB but he was all about the run.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
Totally agree Jerry will bully Riley. Meyer intimates Jerry because he's an older alpha and Jerry cant bully him. If Riley is hired, I wonder if the few assistants Jerry allows him to hire are OU college guys? Look for Kellen Moore to be retained. Maybe Richard is promoted to DC. Get ready boys, it ain't going to be pretty.

Now, now....
Jerrah had great success with "Jimmy-Jump-Up".
He's missed with his NFL Guys.
Now, with his new found Triplets, he knows that by bringing in "Lincoln-Lay-Down", he will have all the pieces in place to relive his past glory in all it's splendor.....that is until he wakes up from his drunken stupor and realizes his team just went 5-11 for the 3rd year in a row.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score

Riley runs a pro- style offense that is run first and has the quarterback under center a lot. Tons of formations.

However, I don't think Dak can run the offense he wants. He'll probably pass because if that.
Dak is a much better thrower than Jalen Hurts. If Riley can teach Hurts to be productive he’ll have no problem with Dak.

erod

Reaction score
Or pass on Prescott and get his own guy.

Riley is known, albiet wrongly, for being this QB guru which relates to passing. His offense is all about the run and so was Kelly's. He ran the hurry up and quick strike and had a Heisman QB but he was all about the run.
Mayfield threw it a ton. Murray much more than Hurts. He fits it to the QB he has. The NFL is different though. Can't run the QB nearly as much.

Still, his base run package with multiple backs is outstanding.

erod

Reaction score
Dak is a much better thrower than Jalen Hurts. If Riley can teach Hurts to be productive he’ll have no problem with Dak.
Neither one of them are NFL-level passers. They're college guys.

I wonder what he could do with Tua.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Riley’s greatest success to me is he had a great offense at East Carolina prior to OU. Then he takes a pretty much above average QB in Hurts and has him 2nd in the heisman. He can adapt to any situation offensively whether it’s run 50 times and slow it down or go no huddle rapid fire and throw 50 times. They talked about this in the first game this year vs Baylor when they didn’t have CeeDee Lamb.

Side note: Riley was Belichickian in how he dealt with Lamb’s injury that week. He didn’t tell TV, the media or let anyone else say Lamb couldn’t play. He even had Lamb go through pregame warmups to not tip his hand. It’s a small detail but it goes into how much he wants to trick the opponent.

Look anybody is better than Garrett. Anybody. Riley will fail if they hired him though. I think he is Chip Kelly 2.0. Nothing will convince me otherwise. I am 100 pct sure of that.

Who cares though because I am also certain Jerry will continue to ruin the franchise anyway.

erod

Reaction score
Look anybody is better than Garrett. Anybody. Riley will fail if they hired him though. I think he is Chip Kelly 2.0. Nothing will convince me otherwise. I am 100 pct sure of that.

Who cares though because I am also certain Jerry will continue to ruin the franchise anyway.
There is nothing remotely similar between Kelly and Riley in any way. Nothing.

He may not succeed, but that comparison is silly.

He's very similar to McVay in style and background.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
That's not the main difference, Meyer has an ego the same size as Booger's. Any HC for the Cowboys will have to subrogate his ego to the owner.

Meyer wouldn't last the season with those two in the FO. And if things got dicey, it could blow up. The Joneses can't handle anyone that knows more about the game than they do...…….and shows that. If things didn't get off on the right foot, I'd give it, maybe 3 weeks, before Meyer and Booger were not on the same page in the media.

Meyer is nuts to even consider the Cowboys, except for leverage with another team. The one guy that might be ready to give him the keys is Snyder. Snyder truly is a fan of the Skins and his mistakes have been made to that end, not supporting his own ego. Although, CLE might be a good landing spot as well. Meyer ends up with the Cowboys and the fuse has already been lit.

I don’t disagree but Meyer could win right away with this team. He sees that. I am hoping for a Jimmy or Bill 3/4 year run. That would be fine to get this clown car back on the path. Plus I would love to see the losers like Zeke, Smith and Lawrence try to pull the crap they get away with now with Meyer.

Hardline

Reaction score

Draft Jalen Hurts

Whyjerry

Reaction score
There is nothing remotely similar between Kelly and Riley in any way. Nothing.

He may not succeed, but that comparison is silly.

He's very similar to McVay in style and background.

Really. Small school OC gets a big job at a big school. Offensive gurus. That is Chip Kelly. How are they different?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The Pats had history with Belichick when he was the DC there and Kraft was smart enough to talk him out of the Jets and into the Patriots by appealing to one thing he didn't have in CLE, control.

I agree with hiring from within the NFL but the Cowboys are more concerned with making sure the owner is comfortable and Riley is just the guy they can control. He will be another college coach failure because they won't surround him with the right coaching staff. He's a good offensive guy when this team needs a defensive minded coach or at least one more balanced than Riley, who is still living off Stoops' recruiting.

That assumes Riley would accept being controlled, I suspect he's in a great spot where he's at, comfy gig for the most part, and has little real interest in getting into the NFL circus, despite what's been said...

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Haha who's to say meyer wont be bullied. And who was his staff. I'm not saying neither one is good or not but im not dismissing reiley cause hes only been a head coach for 3 years and unknown to YOU . He was a coordinator before this HC gig sir lol

Meyer has dominated for about 20 years. 3 titles. Should be 4. Won at BG and Utah. Proven winner. I know all I need to at Riley. Let me see him do it for 5 or 10 years, win a couple titles and actually have a serviceable defense. Then they can hire him.

erod

Reaction score
Really. Small school OC gets a big job at a big school. Offensive gurus. That is Chip Kelly. How are they different?
Completely different personalities.

Entirely different schemes.

Totally different coaching styles.

Riley is a leader of men and a strong family and community man. Kelly is a eccentric loner who can't coexist in an organization of people.

tm1119

Reaction score
Just don’t get the Riley hype. Not even like he built his own program. He was gifted a dream scenario and just had to not screw it up. There are a lot of X’s and O’s guys out there that can design an offense (especially in the Big12), we need a leader of men that can bring a new environment to the locker room. Culture is gigantic problem with this franchise.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Campbell does not move the needle. He will sit by as Jerry handpicks his staffs, overrides his decisions, and do nothing as Jerry allows players to have direct access to him, thus completely neutering the HC's authority.

You have no way of knowing that. Campbell, if he's interviewed by Jerry, may very well say he won't take the job unless he has major control, and when Jerry says he won't have that, he'll pass.

There are 32 NFL teams, a couple of them are up for new head coaches about every year, Campbell can bide his time until a better gig comes along...

erod

Reaction score
Meyer has dominated for about 20 years. 3 titles. Should be 4. Won at BG and Utah. Proven winner. I know all I need to at Riley. Let me see him do it for 5 or 10 years, win a couple titles and actually have a serviceable defense. Then they can hire him.
Meyers spent his entire career outrunning NCAA investigations. He leaves destruction in his wake. Arrests and off-field issues were rampant at Florida and Ohio State.

He wants to coach college, but he admits he is too toxic for that right now.

erod

Reaction score
Just don’t get the Riley hype. Not even like he built his own program. He was gifted a dream scenario and just had to not screw it up. There are a lot of X’s and O’s guys out there that can design an offense (especially in the Big12), we need a leader of men that can bring a new environment to the locker room. Culture is gigantic problem with this franchise.
Look what he did with three cast-off quarterbacks.

Amazing.