News: Rumor: Payton over MM

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Moore gets all the credit for the “stats” lololol.
He needs some credit for a top offense without a top QB or running game .

How do you win 12 games without a good running game most of season and average QB?

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It's funny to me the love Payton gets around here when he has an incredibly similar track record to McCarthy.

JBS

Reaction score
He needs some credit for a top offense without a top QB or running game .

How do you win 12 games without a good running game most of season and average QB?
Yeah. He gets credit for the first half of the season when his scheme worked. Zero ability to adjust and counter. Zero.

ArtClink

Reaction score
The problem is Sean Peyton is allowed to have full authority as the Saints hc but here Jerry doesn’t allow his hc to have much authority at all. So Sean Peyton will be a success anywhere but under Jerry’s reign of terror.

Plus Jerry’s just waiting for the right moment to name the chosen one (Kellen Moore) the next hc.

Miguelitomama

Reaction score

Thanks for posting this, although it makes me even more angry with Moore and McCarthy. Dak was looking at an out-matched bunch of receivers while coping with an offensive line that couldn't even defend against a 4-man rush. Why the heck weren't we expecting this issue????

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I wish. What he did with the saints this year at QB, no Michael Thomas, swept the bucs and had a winning record . That’s crazy. He would make this team so much better. So yea it’s not happening
he did the same thing every team with no qb does.... miss the playoffs. This is exactly what would happen next year as well with no qb, miss the playoffs which got 6 or 7 coaches fired this year.

Amazing how subjective a job done by a coach is.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If JJ could lure Sean to the Cowboys, I'm sure he would fire MM to make it happen but the reality is, Sean is committed to a 5-year contract with the Saints.

RonWashington

Reaction score
You have to admit a lot of our ranking # 1 is at the expense of Krispy Kreme donuts right down the street next to skid row the NFC East . KC 9 points SF 17 points. Denver had us down 30-0 and that guy was fired ….

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Doesn't Payton fit the failed coach mode, only winning one SB with HOFer to be, Brees?

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Doesn't Payton fit the failed coach mode, only winning one SB with HOFer to be, Brees?

I respectfully disagree with people who say this. First off he has two divisional losses to the Vikings (one on a miracle diggs catch and clear offensive PI on Kyle Rudolph)

An even more extreme example was the rams no call in the NFC championship. In all likelihood if the most obvious call ever is made he’s going to his 2nd SB.

- Hes we’ll respected
- runs a great offense
- lives in Dallas. Great relationship with JJ

Most importantly - he can get the most out of your qb. Guy had jameis playing great football till he got hurt.

Kalyan

Reaction score
Does Sean Payton leak this to press, everytime his extension comes up? He is already top 3 paid coaches in 15 M range? maybe he wants BB money

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
I’ll put it this way to people. We lost cause of poor coaching and poor qb play. If one of those was even above average last Sunday are we still playing? Yes we probably are.

A solid head coach who knows quarterbacks should be able to help with both

Playmaker3128

Reaction score

i watched they ran quarters all game. Cause their corners get beat a lot. Everything was one underneath. You could have ran 5 yard hitches the whole game and just got cooper and ceedee the ball to make plays

Verdict

Reaction score
What's not being said, IF Payton wanted out of his contract to join another team. it would likely cost at least one 1st round pick.

I don’t know. If you are New Orleans and Payton said to you, hey, I’m leaving next year when my contract is up no matter how much money you throw at me, that would really put New Orleans between a rock and a hard place.

Do you go into the upcoming draft KNOWING that Peyton is leaving the following year and allow him to help choose players that the next coach may not even want? The philosophy may be very different the following year.

How “invested” is Peyton going to be in your organization and how much effort is he going to put into a program that he is going to be leaving? Is it that far fetched to think that Peyton may just mail it in this season and go through the motions and draw his paycheck?

I’d say even without compensation that New Orleans might say we will part friends—get your stuff together and leave. If someone offered you a 4th round pick as compensation to ease the pain, I can see a scenario where they might take that.

If Dallas comes to New Orleans and offers a 7th round pick for Peyton, now, and Peyton finds out it happened, that would pretty much be “legal” tampering. Once the coach knows the interest is there he can leverage it, or not renew his contract.

If Peyton has several years left on his deal that changes things.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...re-saints-coach-sean-payton-jerry-jones-rumor

This makes sense. If anyone can turn Dak into a better Qb, its Sean Payton, and this team is going nowhere until Dak gets better. Payton loves Dallas. He loves the Jones family. The cost of luring him to Dallas was too high in 2019, but Payton has only 1 year left on his contract.

I can see a likely scenario where MM comes up short next year and Jones quickly moves on to Payton. I'd rather it happen this year, but we would probably have to send NO some compensation. I just don't see Jerry passing on Payton if there is an opportunity to get him.
Jerry might not pass on Payton, but Payton might pass on him. Payton may not want an owner/GM in the middle of his coaching business all the time

Creeper

Reaction score
This is just another dumb rumor from a guy who loves to spread rumors, and that goes for Lombardi too. Here is the crux of it. If Jerry could hire Sean Payton he would. Wow, what a revelation. So would I. The problem is Payton is under contract with the Saints so Jerry cannot talk to him about coming to the Cowboys. And he would have to cough up draft capital to get Payton and my guess is it would be a lot. I don't think giving away high draft picks for a HC is a good approach. Since the Cowboys do not sign top tier free agency, high draft picks are more valuable to them than most teams.

But the dumb thing is, this would be throwing good money after bad. Payton is not going to fix the problem with Dak. Dak is who he is, which would be fine except Jerry paid him $40 million a year when he is worth about $10 million less. Dak's problems are in his head and while Payton may be able to make some minor improvements in Dak's psyche, I doubt he can turn him into Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady.

The best thing Dallas can do to help Dak is hire an OC who knows how to design a running game. Put those high draft picks into offensive line and TE, and some WRs who can catch and block. Balance the offense so Dak does not have to carry the team on his shoulders. Yes, I know, he is getting paid $40 million but there is nothing that can be done about that for the next 3 years so accept it and work with it as best as they can.

Along with that, make plans to move on from Zeke. His 2022 salary is already guaranteed so he will be a Cowboy in 2022, but that does not mean he has to play every down. Draft a RB in the middle rounds. Look for someone who can run and block, and also catch a few passes out of the backfield.

Give Dak a lesser role and the offense will be better.

Then, stop overpaying your free agent players.

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
I haven't read all the replies but for what it's worth I too can confirm this conversation is happening, will it happen? Probably not but I can confirm it it's been discussed, FWIW........