1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

News: Rumor: Payton over MM

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by atlantacowboy, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Diehardblues

Diehardblues Well-Known Member

46,988 Messages
    29,132 Likes Received
    He needs some credit for a top offense without a top QB or running game .

How do you win 12 games without a good running game most of season and average QB?

2. JBS

JBS Well-Known Member

18,757 Messages
    16,815 Likes Received
  3. SlammedZero

SlammedZero Well-Known Member

12,850 Messages
    33,564 Likes Received
    It's funny to me the love Payton gets around here when he has an incredibly similar track record to McCarthy.

4. JBS

JBS Well-Known Member

18,757 Messages
    16,815 Likes Received
    Yeah. He gets credit for the first half of the season when his scheme worked. Zero ability to adjust and counter. Zero.

5. ArtClink

ArtClink Well-Known Member

1,498 Messages
    2,376 Likes Received
    The problem is Sean Peyton is allowed to have full authority as the Saints hc but here Jerry doesn’t allow his hc to have much authority at all. So Sean Peyton will be a success anywhere but under Jerry’s reign of terror.

Plus Jerry’s just waiting for the right moment to name the chosen one (Kellen Moore) the next hc.

6. Miguelitomama

Miguelitomama Well-Known Member

249 Messages
    271 Likes Received
    Thanks for posting this, although it makes me even more angry with Moore and McCarthy. Dak was looking at an out-matched bunch of receivers while coping with an offensive line that couldn't even defend against a 4-man rush. Why the heck weren't we expecting this issue????

7. Reid1boys

Reid1boys Well-Known Member

7,957 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    he did the same thing every team with no qb does.... miss the playoffs. This is exactly what would happen next year as well with no qb, miss the playoffs which got 6 or 7 coaches fired this year.

Amazing how subjective a job done by a coach is.

8. JoeKing

JoeKing Diehard

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    33,732 Messages
    29,344 Likes Received
    If JJ could lure Sean to the Cowboys, I'm sure he would fire MM to make it happen but the reality is, Sean is committed to a 5-year contract with the Saints.

john van brocklin likes this.
  9. RonWashington

RonWashington Well-Known Member

4,440 Messages
    3,334 Likes Received
    You have to admit a lot of our ranking # 1 is at the expense of Krispy Kreme donuts right down the street next to skid row the NFC East . KC 9 points SF 17 points. Denver had us down 30-0 and that guy was fired ….

10. nightrain

nightrain Since 1971

10,859 Messages
    17,710 Likes Received
    Doesn't Payton fit the failed coach mode, only winning one SB with HOFer to be, Brees?

11. Playmaker3128

Playmaker3128 Well-Known Member

3,468 Messages
    4,382 Likes Received
    I respectfully disagree with people who say this. First off he has two divisional losses to the Vikings (one on a miracle diggs catch and clear offensive PI on Kyle Rudolph)

An even more extreme example was the rams no call in the NFC championship. In all likelihood if the most obvious call ever is made he’s going to his 2nd SB.

- Hes we’ll respected
    - runs a great offense
    - lives in Dallas. Great relationship with JJ

Most importantly - he can get the most out of your qb. Guy had jameis playing great football till he got hurt.

hsfolk, AshyLarry06 and DoctorChicken like this.
  12. Kalyan

Kalyan Well-Known Member

971 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    Does Sean Payton leak this to press, everytime his extension comes up? He is already top 3 paid coaches in 15 M range? maybe he wants BB money

13. Playmaker3128

3,468 Messages
    4,382 Likes Received
    I’ll put it this way to people. We lost cause of poor coaching and poor qb play. If one of those was even above average last Sunday are we still playing? Yes we probably are.

A solid head coach who knows quarterbacks should be able to help with both

14. Playmaker3128

3,468 Messages
    4,382 Likes Received
    i watched they ran quarters all game. Cause their corners get beat a lot. Everything was one underneath. You could have ran 5 yard hitches the whole game and just got cooper and ceedee the ball to make plays

15. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

25,184 Messages
    25,478 Likes Received
    Fact

16. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

24,836 Messages
    18,768 Likes Received
    I don’t know. If you are New Orleans and Payton said to you, hey, I’m leaving next year when my contract is up no matter how much money you throw at me, that would really put New Orleans between a rock and a hard place.

Do you go into the upcoming draft KNOWING that Peyton is leaving the following year and allow him to help choose players that the next coach may not even want? The philosophy may be very different the following year.

How “invested” is Peyton going to be in your organization and how much effort is he going to put into a program that he is going to be leaving? Is it that far fetched to think that Peyton may just mail it in this season and go through the motions and draw his paycheck?

I’d say even without compensation that New Orleans might say we will part friends—get your stuff together and leave. If someone offered you a 4th round pick as compensation to ease the pain, I can see a scenario where they might take that.

If Dallas comes to New Orleans and offers a 7th round pick for Peyton, now, and Peyton finds out it happened, that would pretty much be “legal” tampering. Once the coach knows the interest is there he can leverage it, or not renew his contract.

If Peyton has several years left on his deal that changes things.

17. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

6,722 Messages
    4,601 Likes Received
    You couldn't count the people that said Parcells would never coach here

lqmac1 and AshyLarry06 like this.
  18. OmerV

OmerV Well-Known Member

24,376 Messages
    20,905 Likes Received
    Jerry might not pass on Payton, but Payton might pass on him. Payton may not want an owner/GM in the middle of his coaching business all the time

19. Creeper

Creeper Well-Known Member

8,244 Messages
    10,720 Likes Received
    This is just another dumb rumor from a guy who loves to spread rumors, and that goes for Lombardi too. Here is the crux of it. If Jerry could hire Sean Payton he would. Wow, what a revelation. So would I. The problem is Payton is under contract with the Saints so Jerry cannot talk to him about coming to the Cowboys. And he would have to cough up draft capital to get Payton and my guess is it would be a lot. I don't think giving away high draft picks for a HC is a good approach. Since the Cowboys do not sign top tier free agency, high draft picks are more valuable to them than most teams.

But the dumb thing is, this would be throwing good money after bad. Payton is not going to fix the problem with Dak. Dak is who he is, which would be fine except Jerry paid him $40 million a year when he is worth about $10 million less. Dak's problems are in his head and while Payton may be able to make some minor improvements in Dak's psyche, I doubt he can turn him into Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady.

The best thing Dallas can do to help Dak is hire an OC who knows how to design a running game. Put those high draft picks into offensive line and TE, and some WRs who can catch and block. Balance the offense so Dak does not have to carry the team on his shoulders. Yes, I know, he is getting paid $40 million but there is nothing that can be done about that for the next 3 years so accept it and work with it as best as they can.

Along with that, make plans to move on from Zeke. His 2022 salary is already guaranteed so he will be a Cowboy in 2022, but that does not mean he has to play every down. Draft a RB in the middle rounds. Look for someone who can run and block, and also catch a few passes out of the backfield.

Give Dak a lesser role and the offense will be better.

Then, stop overpaying your free agent players.

BleedinBlue likes this.
  20. HeavyBarrel

HeavyBarrel Well-Known Member

6,479 Messages
    6,005 Likes Received
    I haven't read all the replies but for what it's worth I too can confirm this conversation is happening, will it happen? Probably not but I can confirm it it's been discussed, FWIW........

Playmaker3128 likes this.