Rumor: Phillips to be fired?

jfoard

Reaction score
I saw this on MSNBC.com, an interesting article

By Mark J. Miller
updated 1 hour, 56 minutes ago function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,((''.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('633614090126930000');

NFL
Cowboys to fire Phillips during bye week?
The Cowboys have a bye week this week and there is some speculation that head coach Wade Phillips may have picked up his last clipboard for the team even though earlier this year owner Jerry Jones says he's not going to fire Phillips. The team needs a shakeup and it already has the replacement in-house with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, so why not? (ProFootballTalk)

sacowboysfan513

Reaction score
jfoard;2399608 said:
NFL
Cowboys to fire Phillips during bye week?
The Cowboys have a bye week this week and there is some speculation that head coach Wade Phillips may have picked up his last clipboard for the team even though earlier this year owner Jerry Jones says he's not going to fire Phillips. The team needs a shakeup and it already has the replacement in-house with offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, so why not? (ProFootballTalk)

Speculation by who? Fans?

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
pure speculation.

says its speculation in the link.

not even a rumor or substantiated by facts, the blogger is just speculating.

xWraithx

Benched
Reaction score
when using PFT as your source, always consider the exact opposite

Phillips to sign 5 year extension!

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
If he was to be fired, he should have been already. Give JG time to work with the team. I am sure they would practice more than 2 times this week.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Brief excitement, followed by an unceremoneous crash back to reality.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I knew there would be at least one topic this week like this one. I'm actually shocked it took till almost noon on Tuesday for one to pop up.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
He is not going to be fired.

We are going to either:
  1. Crash and Burn with Wade at helm
  2. Win it all miraculously
Either scenario has Wade at helm... not Garrett or anyone else.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
he won't be fired,

but wouldn't it be great if after their "vacation" the players came back to work (two a weeks) and saw a new HC. LOL.

TonyS

Reaction score
The coach we need is Spagnuolo from NY. We need to build around a young, defensive minded coach who can lose his top two DEs and still churn out a punishing defense. What we have now is a coach and defensive assistant that can't build pressure, even with numerous pro-bowlers.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
If he were to be fired this would be the week.

But it would have happened yesterday.

Frankly, if we fire Wade then we've got no one of any quality to run the 3-4 D. If there was a hot D-coordinator here Wade would be gone

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TonyS;2399803 said:
The coach we need is Spagnuolo from NY. We need to build around a young, defensive minded coach who can lose his top two DEs and still churn out a punishing defense. What we have now is a coach and defensive assistant that can't build pressure, even with numerous pro-bowlers.

I disagree. I don't thank Spagnuolo is head coach material. He is a great defensive mine, but so is Wade. He (Wade) just can't handle the responsibility it takes to run (and lead) a team. Spagnuolo like Wade Phillips isn't an outspoken leader.

TonyS

Reaction score
Has Jerry ever fired a coach mid-season? Would be interesting to know. He's pretty loyal during the season, even to ineptness.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
TonyS;2399817 said:
Has Jerry ever fired a coach mid-season? Would be interesting to know. He's pretty loyal during the season, even to ineptness.
never has, never will.

the closest was a handshake agreement with Tuna in between game 15 & 16 on campo's last season.

TonyS

Reaction score
nyc;2399815 said:
I disagree. I don't thank Spagnuolo is head coach material. He is a great defensive mine, but so is Wade. He just can't handle the responsibility it takes to run (and lead) a team. Spagnuolo like Wade Phillips isn't an outspoken leader.

I think everyone of the Giants is following his leadership pretty well right now. I don't care if he's fire and brimstone, he's a professional. The only reason why the Eagals have been so good on D is because they have a guy in Jim Johnson who doesn't want to be a HC. I haven't seen anything in Spagnuolo that would indicate he doesn't want to be one at some point.

If you've got articles, links to back up your opinion, I'd love to see them so I can discontinue my man-crush on him.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
TonyS;2399825 said:
I think everyone of the Giants is following his leadership pretty well right now. I don't care if he's fire and brimstone, he's a professional. The only reason why the Eagals have been so good on D is because they have a guy in Jim Johnson who doesn't want to be a HC. I haven't seen anything in Spagnuolo that would indicate he doesn't want to be one at some point.

If you've got articles, links to back up your opinion, I'd love to see them so I can discontinue my man-crush on him.

No doubt Spagnuolo is more likely to be a very good HC than our "chosen one" (Red) is.

I just don't see jerruh being smart enough to even consider him.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
TonyS;2399825 said:

See Wade Phillips everywhere he has been a DC and not the HC. The defense is great and the players love him. As a DC, it wasn't his job to be the enforcer. Wade runs his ship the way my wife runs the house while I'm gone. The kids drive her into the ground. The second I step in the door, that stops because I won't lay down and let them run the show the way my wife does. To make things run right you have to have steady discipline that doesn't faulter. If you're inconsistent, it will fail because those that are supposed to be disciplined will test the waters from time to time to see what they can get away with. Wade doesn't enforce discipline consistently. You need complete authority (Jerry is an issue here) and true leadership qualities.

I'm not saying Steve can't, I'm just saying he doesn't appear to have the right make up. I would rather go with someone of stronger leadership and someone that will force Jerry to step back and give him complete authority over the players.