CFZ Rusty's Coaching Staff Scenario

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If Kellen Moore gets the Head Coaching job at Carolina, then I think it could be a good thing as it may allow us to get some fresh ideas in on offense. So, let's assume for this scenario that Jerry manages to convince Dan Quinn to stay and Fassel stays for simplicity along with Mike McCarthy. I'd like to see us hire Jon Kitna at QB Coach, Marc Colombo at Oline coach, and Frank Reich at OC.

Jon Kitna worked well with Dak, and I think Dak would do well to return to having Kitna coaching him. Jon Kitna was his QB Coach in 2019. During that year, Dak had one of his best years as a QB, even if the team was disappointing. So, having Kitna back would give Dak back a QB coach who did well with him.

Marc Colombo did well last time that he was here at that spot, and I think the oline could use his mentality as they did well. While Garrett, Linehan, and Marinelli were horrible, our position coaches in 2019 in Kitna and Colombo did well. I think they'd help Dak refocus and our oline get back to what it does best.

Finally, we come to our OC. I think it's time we get away from the Jason Garrett-minded offense that Kellen Moore brings. It's old, and teams know what we are going to do. If teams can figure that out, then that makes stopping us easier. So, I'd bring in Frank Reich as OC. He's not a good HC, but he's an excellent OC. I think we would do well with him, and I think that he'd bring fresh ideas to our offense that we haven't had in a long time.

So, my HC would still be Mike McCarthy. The DC would still be Dan Quinn. The Special Teams coach would be Fassel still. Our oline coach would be Marc Colombo. Our QB coach would be Jon Kitna, and the OC would be Frank Reich.

What do you all think of this coaching scenario idea?

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Kellen Moore gets the Head Coaching job at Carolina, then I think it could be a good thing as it may allow us to get some fresh ideas in on offense. So, let's assume for this scenario that Jerry manages to convince Dan Quinn to stay and Fassel stays for simplicity along with Mike McCarthy. I'd like to see us hire Jon Kitna at QB Coach, Marc Colombo at Oline coach, and Frank Reich at OC.

Jon Kitna worked well with Dak, and I think Dak would do well to return to having Kitna coaching him. Jon Kitna was his QB Coach in 2019. During that year, Dak had one of his best years as a QB, even if the team was disappointing. So, having Kitna back would give Dak back a QB coach who did well with him.

Marc Colombo did well last time that he was here at that spot, and I think the oline could use his mentality as they did well. While Garrett, Linehan, and Marinelli were horrible, our position coaches in 2019 in Kitna and Colombo did well. I think they'd help Dak refocus and our oline get back to what it does best.

Finally, we come to our OC. I think it's time we get away from the Jason Garrett-minded offense that Kellen Moore brings. It's old, and teams know what we are going to do. If teams can figure that out, then that makes stopping us easier. So, I'd bring in Frank Reich as OC. He's not a good HC, but he's an excellent OC. I think we would do well with him, and I think that he'd bring fresh ideas to our offense that we haven't had in a long time.

So, my HC would still be Mike McCarthy. The DC would still be Dan Quinn. The Special Teams coach would be Fassel still. Our oline coach would be Marc Colombo. Our QB coach would be Jon Kitna, and the OC would be Frank Reich.

Columbo sucked.

MikeB80

Reaction score
none of those guys you mentioned have anything in common. Mike McCarthy comes from a specific version of bill walsh's offense. if there are changes it will be to his offense with his guys.

lifelong offensive coaches do not just hire other lifelong offensive coaches with a different philosophy and system. it would make zero sense.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
none of those guys you mentioned have anything in common. Mike McCarthy comes from a specific version of bill walsh's offense. if there are changes it will be to his offense with his guys.

lifelong offensive coaches do not just hire other lifelong offensive coaches with a different philosophy and system. it would make zero sense.

True, and it'd be great if he could attract Callahan into returning here. He'd be in the same line for OLine as Mike. That'd solve a lot of problems there.
True, and perhaps

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Do you think there are other qualified people out there other than guys that used to work here?

Oh of course, I just felt that they'd be good starting points as they've worked well. Perhaps we could have Mike McCoy, another from the Walsh line, as OC. He's a qualified OC who could help Dak. Especially as he's Trevor Lawrence's QB coach.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

I like your Kitna suggestion for the reasons you stated.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Reich comes from Reids tree. He would mesh well with McCarthy

MikeB80

Reaction score
Reich comes from Reids tree. He would mesh well with McCarthy
No He doesn't. If he comes from any tree its Tom Moore's coaching tree but thats not accurate I do not think either. He started as a pro coach under Tom Moore with the colts and was there for 6 seasons. Tom Moore ran the old steelers offense and this is how he ended up with Tony Dungy in indy. HIs biggest influence was the old bills K-gun uptempo offense he played in forever in buffalo. A lot of shotgun and up tempo stuff.

He has no ties to Andy Reid though other than coaching with Doug Pederson.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

If we lose Kellen Mike will be the play caller

MikeB80

Reaction score
This. In fact he coached Anthony Thomas so bad at the Gents that he was almost let go. Now he’s one of the better LT’s in the league
that is not what happened. The owner hired Garrett to build a running game in NY. Garrett hired Columbo. Joe Judge differed in philosophy on how to coach the line and Marc Columbo flipped out during a practice when coaching the centers and Judge fired him over it. I imagine Columbo has a slim to none chance of getting an nfl o-line coaching job again unless someone hires garrett and even then that ship has probably sailed too.