Safety looks like the logical pick at 58

tm1119

Reaction score
I’d rather sign 1 of the 6 or 7 proven starters available in free agency...but the cowboys spending on a good free agent is likely a pipe dream

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
IDK, I'm thinking TE or OT or CB. I see them using free agency to upgrade S.

cowboyec

Reaction score
sounds good. But this Willis cat just looks and plays tough and fast inside...and he's durable. He sure looks like a stud.
agreed.
there are alotta DTs in this class I like.
Khalen Saunders,W Illinois is another I like...solid player.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
For those of you saying dline at 58. I certainly agree we have a needs there. I just think the best chance of getting a day 1 starter that will contribute for 4 years will come at the safety position. Any D lineman taken at 58 is going to be a rotational player at best and possibly even sitting on the sideline learning.

I could see the team going dline and then getting a lower quality safety later on. If they do that, then you end up with two role players and no starting caliber players from the draft.

Safety at 58 would be a starter.
Slot receiver in the 3rd would get a lot of playing time.
Change of pace back in the 4th will see the field a lot.
DT in the 4th and DE in the 5th can be groomed

If we want immediate production on the D line then it needs to come in F.A. or very early 1st rd picks. It would be easier to add F.A. contributors if our own F.A.'s didn't all believe that they should be the highest paid players at their respective positions.

cnuball21

Reaction score
For those of you saying dline at 58. I certainly agree we have a needs there. I just think the best chance of getting a day 1 starter that will contribute for 4 years will come at the safety position. Any D lineman taken at 58 is going to be a rotational player at best and possibly even sitting on the sideline learning.

I could see the team going dline and then getting a lower quality safety later on. If they do that, then you end up with two role players and no starting caliber players from the draft.

Safety at 58 would be a starter.
Slot receiver in the 3rd would get a lot of playing time.
Change of pace back in the 4th will see the field a lot.
DT in the 4th and DE in the 5th can be groomed

If we want immediate production on the D line then it needs to come in F.A. or very early 1st rd picks. It would be easier to add F.A. contributors if our own F.A.'s didn't all believe that they should be the highest paid players at their respective positions.

In a notably deep DL class, why don’t you think a DE at 58 can come in and be a starter but a S can? This DL class is stronger than the safety class so this logic doesn’t make much sense.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
In a notably deep DL class, why don’t you think a DE at 58 can come in and be a starter but a S can? This DL class is stronger than the safety class so this logic doesn’t make much sense.

Which DE has a chance at being there at 58 that would be a day 1 starter? I can name 4 safeties that have a shot at being there at 58 that would be day 1 starters.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Which DE has a chance at being there at 58 that would be a day 1 starter? I can name 4 safeties that have a shot at being there at 58 that would be day 1 starters.

Ferguson, Bryant and Ximines are a few names that come to mind. DE is different, as it's more of a rotational type position but I could see guys like this being heavy contributors in year 1.

4 safeties? Do you not think teams that really need safety help won't be reaching a little prior to pick 58? Abram, Thompson and Thornhill are arguably the top 3 and could all be gone...so who are your 4?

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Ferguson, Bryant and Ximines are a few names that come to mind. DE is different, as it's more of a rotational type position but I could see guys like this being heavy contributors in year 1.

4 safeties? Do you not think teams that really need safety help won't be reaching a little prior to pick 58? Abram, Thompson and Thornhill are arguably the top 3 and could all be gone...so who are your 4?

Ferguson is the only one of those 3 that I believe could be a day 1 starter on this team and I think he will be gone.

The 4 safety's with a shot at being there at 58 that I think could start immediately are

Abram, Gardner-Johnson, Thornhill and Savage.

Thompson, Adderly and Rapp are probably out of our range. Out of the 4 I mentioned the odds are very strong that at least one of them will still be there at 58. IMO. It is even possible that one of the 3 I believe will go earlier will still be there.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Ferguson is the only one of those 3 that I believe could be a day 1 starter on this team and I think he will be gone.

The 4 safety's with a shot at being there at 58 that I think could start immediately are

Abram, Gardner-Johnson, Thornhill and Savage.

Thompson, Adderly and Rapp are probably out of our range. Out of the 4 I mentioned the odds are very strong that at least one of them will still be there at 58. IMO. It is even possible that one of the 3 I believe will go earlier will still be there.

Agree to disagree on the DEs - I'd go check em out a little more.

I'd add Abram and Thornhill to the mix of likely being gone.

I like Gardner-Johnson, but feel like that's a reach and Savage can't tackle so that's a reach.

cnuball21

Reaction score
And maybe some of the safeties do slide, but you also need to take DE being a premium position into consideration.

You’re more likely to maximize value by going DE/2 and S/3 then vice versa - especially considering how the players at those positions are graded this year.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Agree to disagree on the DEs - I'd go check em out a little more.

I'd add Abram and Thornhill to the mix of likely being gone.

I like Gardner-Johnson, but feel like that's a reach and Savage can't tackle so that's a reach.

You think 5 safeties will be gone before pick 58? And you think Gardner- Johnson is a reach and Savage is a reach but you think Bryant and Ximines are day one starters?

I simply disagree. Savage spent his college years covering DJ Moore in practice and Moore believes he is the best safety in the country. He can tackle too. He is very good at dropping down in the box and helping in run support.

I would be thrilled with Savage and consider him a major upgrade over Heath. Bryant and Ximines likely would be sitting next to Taco on the bench being "trained up" by the coaches..

Last edited:

cnuball21

Reaction score
You think 5 safeties will be gone before pick 58? And you think Gardner- Johnson is a reach and Savage is a reach but you think Bryant and Ximines are day one starters?

I simply disagree. Savage spent his college years covering DJ Moore in practice and Moore believes he is the best safety in the country. He can tackle too. He is very good at dropping down in the box and helping in run support.

I would be thrilled with Savage and consider him a major upgrade over Heath. Bryant and Ximines likely would be sitting next to Taco on the bench being "trained up" by the coaches..

If we feel good about a DE and take them in the 2nd they’ll get a lot of snaps, again it’s a rotation position.

I really don’t know until draft days, but wouldn’t be shocked. One of my main points is if we have a S and DE on the table with similar grades, I’m taking the DE 10 times out of 10.

Pff on Savage:

“Room to improve in 2018 – Doesn’t offer a lot in run support. PFF run-defense grades of 64.9 and 67.6 over the past two seasons and 25 missed tackles from 128 attempted.”

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
If we feel good about a DE and take them in the 2nd they’ll get a lot of snaps, again it’s a rotation position.

I really don’t know until draft days, but wouldn’t be shocked. One of my main points is if we have a S and DE on the table with similar grades, I’m taking the DE 10 times out of 10.

Pff on Savage:

“Room to improve in 2018 – Doesn’t offer a lot in run support. PFF run-defense grades of 64.9 and 67.6 over the past two seasons and 25 missed tackles from 128 attempted.”

I don't put much stock in PFF. Savage looks like a poormans Jalen Ramsey to me. He plays like a SS but has the ball skills of a FS. He looks like he is playing at a different speed than the rest of the players on the field. He has that sense of urgency and reckless abandon I like to see as he flies all over the field. I did think the same thing about Peppers and he has been less than awesome so I could be wrong. I am sure he is better than Heath though. Especially at diagnosing angles.

Again, I understand we need De's and DT's. I just think we are going to end up having to groom them regardless of where we take them. 2nd or later. I am hoping to add a couple or a few players that can make an immediate impact and I think the safety position is the easiest spot to do that.

Last edited:

Jake0

Reaction score
Issue with taking safeties early is the position is very prone to frequent injuries. They have to tackle so often as the last line of defense and aren't as big as LBs to take punishment. Giants aren't even resigning Landon Collins. Not exactly sure why, but tying up a ton of cash into the position is probably a bad idea. Maybe FS you can get away with, def not SS.

If the guys in round 2 aren't WAYYYYYYY better than the guys you can get in round 4, it's probably a better idea to try and pick up some sleepers and hope they hit.

Every year, people get enamored with safety prospects like Karl Joseph etc that they think can do it all. He's a good player, but don't think the value is there compared to what you get in rounds 3/4 etc. Earl Thomas was one in a million.

Jake0

Reaction score
I don't put much stock in PFF. Savage looks like a poormans Jalen Ramsey to me. He plays like a SS but has the ball skills of a FS. He looks like he is playing at a different speed than the rest of the players on the field. He has that sense of urgency and reckless abandon I like to see as he flies all over the field. I did think the same thing about Peppers and he has been less than awesome so I could be wrong. I am sure he is better than Heath though. Especially at diagnosing angles.

Again, I understand we need De's and DT's. I just think we are going to end up having to groom them regardless of where we take them. 2nd or later. I am hoping to add a couple or a few players that can make an immediate impact and I think the safety position is the easiest spot to do that.

I don't think this team is going all in for a superbowl this year. You should still build with not salvaging the future in mind. This is Garrett's make or break year. If there's any struggle at all, he's gone and you want to leave a good foundation for the next guy coming.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Ignore the PFF grades if you want, but that is an alarming amount of missed tackles.

So we’re basically talking about a faster version of Woods, as he struggles with tackling as well.

I do like the player, but he’s not a firm 2nd rounder for me.

Rockdoc

Reaction score
i dont want tackling ability to out weigh coverage ability when looking at safeties
the league make two FS better than a SS and FS

cnuball21

Reaction score
i dont want tackling ability to out weigh coverage ability when looking at safeties
the league make two FS better than a SS and FS

Well you should...a Safety isn’t just responsible for coverage.

That’s like saying you don’t care if a DE can’t set the edge and defend the run as long as they’re a good pass rusher.

Jake0

Reaction score
Awful tackling is why everyone hated Byron Jones at safety. It's critical for the position.