Twitter: Salary Cap carryover for 2021

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Jaylon saves you nothing this year. His cap savings is only around $500K for 2021. You could make him a post June 1 cut, which would save you around $7MM but that money isn't on the cap until after June 1 and you'd then be on the hook for a $7MM dead cap hit in 2022.
So we gonna have to restructure just to tag Dak.:mad: I forgot the Joneses have found the secret sauce.

Sydla

Reaction score
So we gonna have to restructure just to tag Dak.:mad: I forgot the Joneses have found the secret sauce.

Pretty much.

People that think we are going to be real active are likely going to be disappointed. I think they are hanging defensive improvements on the draft. That doesnt mean they won't sign a few guys on the cheap in FA but some of this chatter of guys like Simmons at S just seems foolish at this point. I'd love to be surprised, however.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This defense? I don't think so. But what does "fix' mean? If you mean getting out of the cellar to like no. 20, oh yeah, that's possible, we saw Diggs develop well and LVE was recovering from surgery and may (please note the may word) be better next year. And of course Nolan is gone, Quinn is very unlikely not to do better.

Etc.

I don't see the defense getting to top15 or better, which is normally needed for titles.

But I've been wrong before, I would hardly be upset if I am this time....
You can fix it and make it top 15 easily in 1 offseason. Even higher.

Loso86

Reaction score
Yep and eventually he'll need to get some of these deals done now that he's with the new agency. He had 3 guys play on the franchise tag last year, including Dak.

But I mean, both sides simply need to talk. Which they've hardly done.
Agreed

Loso86

Reaction score
Dak can always override his agent. Dak has lots of pressure on him from the Players association to get top dollar. It’s not as simple to get a contract done as many think. I laugh at the notion this could have been completed two years ago. France wants Dak to be a free agent.
I agree, and he got involved at the end last year but they say it was too late and ran out of time. This injury is VERY important though it would scare me a little if I were the Boys

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I agree, and he got involved at the end last year but they say it was too late and ran out of time. This injury is VERY important though it would scare me a little if I were the Boys
Bingo. I can’t see Dak turning down at guarantee of say 130 million with an average salary of 38+ after that leg injury. If he is hurt or plays average no one will offer him the big guarantees.

nobody

Reaction score
I've been hearing the issue has been with Daks agent. Didnt want to keep negotiating last year due to him switching agencies and this year they havent met. Hes thinking more about his pockets than Daks future

However, if Dak is aware and it is an issue, then the issue is Dak too. He is the boss of the agent and not the reverse.

nobody

Reaction score
Dak can always override his agent. Dak has lots of pressure on him from the Players association to get top dollar. It’s not as simple to get a contract done as many think. I laugh at the notion this could have been completed two years ago. France wants Dak to be a free agent.

Exactly this. Ultimately, if there is an issue involving the agent, the fault lies with Dak.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You can fix a defense in one offseason.
Agreed.....BUT....a good few of the right things need to happen.

Its by no means impossible.

I just want to see a defense that is fired up and plays as a unit. That can cover up a few holes....

Its worthy of a thread and maybe you want to write it....if LVE and JSmith turn things around, this defense has a shot to be very good. If those two do not, then I'm not sure it's possible to have it fixed for 2021, because I'd say they will definitely get the shot to turn things around.....hence the DC change.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Agreed.....BUT....a good few of the right things need to happen.

Its by no means impossible.

I just want to see a defense that is fired up and plays as a unit. That can cover up a few holes....

Its worthy of a thread and maybe you want to write it....if LVE and JSmith turn things around, this defense has a shot to be very good. If those two do not, then I'm not sure it's possible to have it fixed for 2021, because I'd say they will definitely get the shot to turn things around.....hence the DC change.
There’s definitely nothing easy about it but I’ve seen it done many times over the years. You have to be lucky with injuries, hope your 2nd and 3rd year players step up, draft well and spend on a few key players in positions of weakness. And you have to have a good DC. Lots of things have to fall in place but it’s certainly possible.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There’s definitely nothing easy about it but I’ve seen it done many times over the years. You have to be lucky with injuries, hope your 2nd and 3rd year players step up, draft well and spend on a few key players in positions of weakness. And you have to have a good DC. Lots of things have to fall in place but it’s certainly possible.
Given what we saw from those two in 2018....its definitely possible.

I mean, last year couldn't have been a worse match between scheme and personnel.

If you think back to the Dec 2018 game vs NO....that defense was close to dominant.

What was going on? Lawrence was doing his thing, which allowed Gregory to get pressure on the other side....and LVE and Jaylon were flying around making plays.

The DBs (Jones aside) were all the guys most of us (me included) want to move on from.

Point is....play as a unit and get pressure up front.

Not impossible in one offseason by any means.

csirl

Reaction score
He can cash in sure. But how much more money a year does Dak make being the QB in Dallas? He makes bank in endorsement money. You think he would be getting all of that money playing in Jacksonville or Washington?

I think Texas residents over estimate what their sports stars earn in endorsements versus other places. You see Dak in loads of ads and think he's bringing in more than any other athlete. But that's just in your area. Other markets have their own stars in ads and no Dak.

Creeper

Reaction score
Is this an addition to the 19 million in space we already have since they raised the cap to 180 million?

I think this number includes the carryover. Sportrac shows the Cowboys with about $182 million in CAP space used by their top 51 players. Over-the-Cap shows it to be about $178 million. They both show about $9 million in dead money so there is no way the CAP space ($19 million) cannot include the carryover from 2020. Over-the-Cap is assuming a $180.5 million CAP for 2021. So $180.6 + $25.4 = $206 million. That's the Cowboys CAP. Then they have $178.6 million + $9 million committed in their current top 51 players and dead money. $206 -$178.6 - $9 = $18.4 million. This is slightly off Over-the-Cap's estimated of $19.3 million in CAP space but it could be they are using a different Carryover number. But, they are definitely adding in the carryover.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
That changes things. If they get Dak under contract we will have money to improve our team. There needs to be some urgency to get this contract done by both sides. Both the Cowboys organization and Dak want a long term deal in Dallas. Let’s get the deal done by the start of free agency.
Would make sense, but can we get all knuckleheads together?

Loso86

Reaction score
Bingo. I can’t see Dak turning down at guarantee of say 130 million with an average salary of 38+ after that leg injury. If he is hurt or plays average no one will offer him the big guarantees.
You on a roll bro, I for one think itll get some, with a way out of it if it doesnt work in say 2 years. This 2nd surgery thing is worrying me so I know the Joneses are second guessing things

Loso86

Reaction score
However, if Dak is aware and it is an issue, then the issue is Dak too. He is the boss of the agent and not the reverse.
Yea that could be true, I know some players who completely trusted their agents with this though. Boss or not. Sometimes that causes a problem especially if the Agent is the middle man amd lying or switching up words to make the player say hell naw lol

LittleD

Reaction score
Listen we can ignore the elephant in the room all we want but the Joneses are not trading Dak. I mess around on other threads proposing us to draft Mac Jones and trading Dak for multiple picks. It’s fun in fantasy land but that is not gonna happen. I cry with laughter when I here the talking heads say Dak does not want to be a Cowboy or Jerry does not want him.:laugh::huh:

I'm pretty certain you are right. Because you are, get ready for another decade of mediocre to horrible seasons. Not likely Jerry will ever see his Cowboys in another SB. Maybe Stephen either!