Salary Cap space - Updated

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Judging by the cash flow being reported, I think years 2 and 3 are swapped, but otherwise looks accurate.
I was thinking an Option bonus Year 2 with lower base salaries for Years 2 and 3

The Option Bonus could be then prorated like a Signing Bonus if they add dummy years

The only hiccup is the 30% Rule that is in play because the CBA is expiring after 2020

Contracts can't increase by more than 30% year to year

dckid

Reaction score
The Eagles did it and are doing it

They have borrowed 34m from 2021-22 to keep things rolling after winning the SB

The Rams bought a trip to the SB
The Broncos bought 2 trips and a win
The Seahawks bought a trip combined with some young picks
Correct. Our FO needs a serious refresh. Bring in some Harvard, MIT guys to run analytics and the cap. We should have the best analytics, best facilities, best fan experience. Best player experince. Why are we. It the Golden State if the NFL? Oh yeah... we have Jerry & Stephen. 5 billion dollar franchise run like a mom and pop grocery store.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Correct. Our FO needs a serious refresh. Bring in some Harvard, MIT guys to run analytics and the cap. We should have the best analytics, best facilities, best fan experience. Best player experince. Why are we. It the Golden State if the NFL? Oh yeah... we have Jerry & Stephen. 5 billion dollar franchise run like a mom and pop grocery store.
Exactly....less sentiment and more experiment

Looks like they are trying on the field with KMoore so maybe things are a changing

eromeopolk

Reaction score
30m SB................... 65m gtd.....................not official yet

2019- 1.1m base................cap hit 7.1m
2020- 16m base.................cap hit 22m(restructured down with voidable years)
2021- 17m* base................cap hit 23m
2022- 20m base.................cap hit 26m
2023- 20m base.................cap hit 26m

*guarantees in March 2020
You handle the cap and I will draft the players :)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
25m SB................... 65m gtd.....................not official yet

2019- 6.1m base................cap hit 11.1m
2020- 16m base.................cap hit 21m(possibly restructured down with voidable years)
2021- 17m* base................cap hit 22m
2022- 20m base.................cap hit 25m
2023- 20m base.................cap hit 25m

*guarantees in March 2020

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
Don’t the Cowboys need to roll over cap room with The big three needing to sign next year?

Cooper
Prescott
Elliott

We can’t spend like drunken sailors

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
No ...they should always borrow from the future to win now.... it is just smart business and simple math

Having 120m next year is ludicrous without borrowing some of it for this year when we are so close

There is never a cap hell in the future...... never
No it’s actually really stupid. The less you do it the better. But keep talking like you get it. Which you don’t.

Only desperate teams or ones trying for one last run.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Sign Amari and create more cap space. Extend Dak with a front loaded deal.

Sign another F.A. Berry? Mccoy? Suh?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If we do this now, we can’t do it in the future. They should be careful about who they restructure and when.

I’m not accusing you of this - I know you’re a cap guy. But there seems to be a notion that the cap is imaginary, that they can just keep turning salary into bonus without a cost. That’s not accurate. Right?
He is 100% the worst cap guy I’ve ever seen. Has absolutely zero idea how to properly manage the cap. His laughable, fantasy theory is based on mortgaging the future for a one year run every year.

With one of the youngest starting teams in the nfl, this is about as dumb a plan as you could possibly come up with. If the cowboys continue to play it smart and do the opposite of what bozo “cap nightmare” wants so us to do, we should dominate the cap management for years to come.

Little Jr

Reaction score
And why do we have all that space? Because we haven’t been stupid the last few years and stopped the dumb restructuring program. They got smart.
Fred restructured in 17&18. Smith did in 15&17. Romo did in 14&15. Witten did in 16&18. Oscan did in 16. Free did in 16. That's just the ones I know of. @Nightman may know of more.

So I don't know where you're getting we haven't restructure the last few years. The past 3 years, including 2019, we've restructured 4 contracts. The previous 3 years we restructured 5. That's just my count could be more.

At least have a point and an argument when calling out people.

Last edited: