Sam Darnold vs Josh Allen

Shunpike

Reaction score
My Giants could have had both. We skipped. Water under bridge. Just saw a discussion on twitter. Josh Allen has bigger votes than Darnold.

Who you rather have? Darnold or Allen?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Allen still has an unlimited ceiling. This is a big-time year for him in what he will become.

Darnold, who knows, arm talent and athleticism are there. I just don't think he plays with the right chutzpah.

visionary

Reaction score
As a Cowboys fan I’m glad you have the Jones/Garrett combo

couldn’t ask for more

John813

Reaction score
Tough one. Think both have the tools to be good, but can they be consistently good for longer stretches in reads or accuracy?

I thought Allen showed more improvement last year but that was just from 4-5 games, 3 of which where the Dolphin games and the Cowboys one. Where he played very well.

kskboys

Reaction score
Although I"m not all that impressed w/ either, I'd prolly settle on Darnold.

The biggest difference between the two right now is that Allen has a D. Not to mention a running game, an OL, and good WR's.

kskboys

Reaction score
Allen still has an unlimited ceiling. This is a big-time year for him in what he will become.

Darnold, who knows, arm talent and athleticism are there. I just don't think he plays with the right chutzpah.
He does? Since he's never been all that accurate, I'd have to say that's simply not true.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

He got alot better last year. He really needs to improve that deep ball accuracy though. Adding Diggs should help alot. Him, Brown and Beasey is a fairly compelling WR corps

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He does? Since he's never been all that accurate, I'd have to say that's simply not true.
Ive watched most of Allens games the last couple years being local. From year 1 to 2, his short and intermediate accuracy improved significantly. His deep ball still needs alot of work.

Its also helped to gain Brown and Beasley. Brown played very well, and while Beasley was a little hit and miss overall he did better than I expected him to as a #2 WR. The WR corps he had in 2018 was just awful. Hell they had Andre Holmes logging starts lol

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Darnold.

Keep in mind the Jets haven’t exactly surrounded him with talent at the receiver and tight end position.

If the front-office had any brains they would nab Lamb or Jeudy to pair with him.

Allen is a similar but lesser player to Cam Newton. Allen is more conservative throwing the ball while Cam has less of a conscious which is both good/bad.

I actually think Justin Herbert comps favorably to Allen but he’s a better passer than Allen.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Honestly I haven't watched Darnold that much. He seems streaky going back to even college.

But I love Allen. He'll probably never put up eye popping stats because of where he plays and the division he's in, but he can make some throws that nobody else but Mahomes can make.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I liked Darnold as the top QB in that draft and still do. Allen is athletic but I don’t think he has the makeup to be anything more than a ratings draw at QB.

EDIT: forgot Lamar was that year. Darnold is still my choice between the 4 guys who went in the top 10*

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Honestly I haven't watched Darnold that much. He seems streaky going back to even college.

But I love Allen. He'll probably never put up eye popping stats because of where he plays and the division he's in, but he can make some throws that nobody else but Mahomes can make.
Conversely, Allen can’t make some basic throws Jason Garrett could make.

kskboys

Reaction score

And because he's inaccurate and is a poor decision maker.

BUFF made the playoffs because of their 3rd ranked D, make no mistake about it. Allen is not good at present. Maybe he will be some day, but he has a long way to go.

kskboys

Reaction score
Ive watched most of Allens games the last couple years being local. From year 1 to 2, his short and intermediate accuracy improved significantly. His deep ball still needs alot of work.

Its also helped to gain Brown and Beasley. Brown played very well, and while Beasley was a little hit and miss overall he did better than I expected him to as a #2 WR. The WR corps he had in 2018 was just awful. Hell they had Andre Holmes logging starts lol
Improved, yes, but that's because he was absolutely awful in 18 and there was no way to go but up.

Allen is getting a ton of undeserved love at present due to BUFF's 3rd ranked D where he just had to drive the bus, as evidenced by BUFF's 26th ranking in the passing game.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I’m sure they would both would look INFINITELY better if they played behind our oline, with Zeke, Cooper, and Gallup

But they do have a ways to go still

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Improved, yes, but that's because he was absolutely awful in 18 and there was no way to go but up.

Allen is getting a ton of undeserved love at present due to BUFF's 3rd ranked D where he just had to drive the bus, as evidenced by BUFF's 26th ranking in the passing game.
I dont see him getting much love. I would say the general consensus right now is his 2019 was mediocre at best, but promising. And Im surrounded by Bills fan. He improved, thats what he is supposed to do. You can't expect a Lamar type jump. I will say watching him last year VS 2018 his mechanics were much better. His footwark and motion was much more consistent on his short and intermediate passing. You could tell thats what was worked on in the offseason. His long ball is still a mess though

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Although I will say, that at this point Allen really isnt deserving of "love"

Flamma

Reaction score
My Giants could have had both. We skipped. Water under bridge. Just saw a discussion on twitter. Josh Allen has bigger votes than Darnold.

Who you rather have? Darnold or Allen?

I think Darnold has more potential. But that's not the worst part about your Giants drafting Jones. Forget Darnold and Allen, Jones is every bit as good as either of them. The Giants made the mistake in drafting him that early. You should have drafted LB Josh Allen with #6. You still would have had Dexter Lawrence at #17 and picked up Daniel Jones at #30. So instead of Jones, Allen and Lawrence, you got Jones Lawrence and some clown Deandre Baker. That was your mistake. Thinking Jones was some hot commodity. But hey, as a Cowboys fan I couldn't be happier.

Think about it. Even if some dumb team besides the Giants ended up drafting Jones before your pick at #30, you still had Drew Lock and a few others left.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think Darnold has more potential. But that's not the worst part about your Giants drafting Jones. Forget Darnold and Allen, Jones is every bit as good as either of them. The Giants made the mistake in drafting him that early. You should have drafted LB Josh Allen with #6. You still would have had Dexter Lawrence at #17 and picked up Daniel Jones at #30. So instead of Jones, Allen and Lawrence, you got Jones Lawrence and some clown Deandre Baker. That was your mistake. Thinking Jones was some hot commodity. But hey, as a Cowboys fan I couldn't be happier.

Think about it. Even if some dumb team besides the Giants ended up drafting Jones before your pick at #30, you still had Drew Lock and a few others left.
Jones was gaining traction and most likely would not have lasted til 30. Or even 17.

Since he's been well worth his draft slot, I'm afraid I'm not getting your line of thinking.