Twitter: Sam Williams Graded As 2nd Best Rookie Pass Rusher This Season

quickccc

Reaction score
- I admit that i didn't even have Williams on the radar,.. until the 2nd round was here.
Someone with freakish combination of size/speed and college sack production had to have
some concerns that dropped his stock, and i guess the initial battery accusations (which were dropped)
still scared teams off.

- Some draftnik suggests NFL teams could also have been worried Sam would be a one track pony with all pass rush/no run defense.
But this is looking like the act of "over-analysis', and teams flat missed out and we are flourishing with Sam pick.

- Ditto with Micah Parson and the over-analysis that saw him fall as far as 12th overall.
How many teams that passed over him (including Eagles and Giants) would have loved to have a re-do again ?

quickccc

Reaction score
- I also admit that DE Jermaine Johnson and LB Devin Lloyd on my 1st rd wish radar.
and disappointed we took Tyler Smith instead.

- But kudos to Tyler player, .. the coaches that teach up him and prepared him very well
in just his rookie year, without little to no reps at LT in camp/preseason before Week 1 start.
and Tyler has size, athleticism, ..unbelievable natural country- power, confidence
and tenacity.

- I have no doubt he's gonna soon eventually be one of the better left tackles in the NFL.

DanA

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure if we took the board consensus picks we have:

• B.Jones
  • Ramsey
  • TJ Watt
  • I.Wynn
  • Lamb
  • Parsons
  • Linderbaum
I think I’d rather those 1st round picks than what we took.

cnuball21

Reaction score
- I admit that i didn't even have Williams on the radar,.. until the 2nd round was here.
Someone with freakish combination of size/speed and college sack production had to have
some concerns that dropped his stock, and i guess the initial battery accusations (which were dropped)
still scared teams off.

- Some draftnik suggests NFL teams could also have been worried Sam would be a one track pony with all pass rush/no run defense.
But this is looking like the act of "over-analysis', and teams flat missed out and we are flourishing with Sam pick.

- Ditto with Micah Parson and the over-analysis that saw him fall as far as 12th overall.
How many teams that passed over him (including Eagles and Giants) would have loved to have a re-do again ?

Williams has been as advertised as a pass rusher, but most of the draft analysts wondered about him off the field and questioned his run defense.

He looks awesome chasing down runs from the backside but it’s still a question mark for me - bc you never see him actually beat an OT to make a play in the road game.

We’ll know more the more he plays, but something to keep an eye on.

cnuball21

Reaction score

• B.Jones
  • Ramsey
  • TJ Watt
  • I.Wynn
  • Lamb
  • Parsons
  • Linderbaum

I’d have been good with Linderbaum or Johnson over Tyler.

quickccc

Reaction score
I’d have been good with Linderbaum or Johnson over Tyler.

I'm glad to have Tyler Smith over Linderbaum.

Getting a LT tackle that is gonna be top notch pro bowler in due in Tyler, .. and from what Williams is looking like he will be, he could be right there
among the other top pick edge guys in that NFL draft class.

Aside from WR Tolbert, I'm really loving how this rookie draft class is turning out so promising early on. (Tyler, Williams, Ferguson, Clarke)

rags747

Reaction score
A lot of us wanted Jermaine Johnson. He marked as one of the most athletic true defensive ends in the draft, so it's understandable when some of us were upset when the Cowboys passed him up for Tyler Smith. Tyler Smith has been a pleasant surprise, so big kudos to Will McClay, his scouting team and the front office. I personally like Sam Williams as the next best true defensive end after Jermaine Johnson, so it was amazing to see Sam Williams still there for the taking late in the 2nd round when thankfully the Cowboys swiftly picked him up. That credit goes all to Dan Quinn. I can't believe so many teams passed up Sam Williams TWICE, and I'm sure they are regretting now just like Sam Williams is going to make sure they regret passing him up for many years to come. Sam Williams paired up on one end with Micah Parsons on the other is going to be amazing for many years to come for our Cowboys, as will having Tyler Smith at either O-Tackle or Guard!
I want to say that Jermain Johnson was a first round pick of the Jets and has not done much to date. True statement? I could easily look it up but I have just finished 6hrs of humping Christmas decorations from the garage into the house and setting up and now I’m having a Capt n Coke with a nice cigar on the lanai and I’ll just leave it at that. Thx…

cnuball21

Reaction score
I'm glad to have Tyler Smith over Linderbaum.

Getting a LT tackle that is gonna be top notch pro bowler in due in Tyler, .. and from what Williams is looking like he will be, he could be right there
among the other top pick edge guys in that NFL draft class.

Aside from WR Tolbert, I'm really loving how this rookie draft class is turning out so promising early on. (Tyler, Williams, Ferguson, Clarke)

Linderbaum was a top 20 prospect on almost every analysts big board out there and Tyler was a 2nd rounder for most.

Also, I think Tyler’s highest ceiling in the NFL is at G so the positional value point doesn’t stick for me.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I want to say that Jermain Johnson was a first round pick of the Jets and has not done much to date. True statement? I could easily look it up but I have just finished 6hrs of humping Christmas decorations from the garage into the house and setting up and now I’m having a Capt n Coke with a nice cigar on the lanai and I’ll just leave it at that. Thx…
Jermaine Johnson: 8 games played, 17 total tackles, 10 solo tackles, 5 assists, 2.5 sacks.

Sam Williams: 9 games played, 14 total tackles, 11 solo tackles, 2 assists, 3 sacks, 1 pass defensed, 1 forced fumble, 2 opposing fumble returns.

Looks like the Cowboys have been getting much more production from Sam Williams than the Jets are getting from Jermaine Johnson, and the Cowboys luckily were able to use a late 2nd round pick for Sam Williams' production compared to the Jets 1st round pick on Jermaine Johnson.

quickccc

Reaction score
Linderbaum was a top 20 prospect on almost every analysts big board out there and Tyler was a 2nd rounder for most.

Also, I think Tyler’s highest ceiling in the NFL is at G so the positional value point doesn’t stick for me.

Apparently not every team's draft value boards are the same.

Supposedly draft rumors persist that Cowboys did not even have Linderbaum on their board as a 1st rounder... and this is Wil McClay.
Cowboys even had Tyler rated higher than supposed other more heralded OGs ala Zion Johnson

But i don't think OG long term was in the Cowboys vision and plan for Tyler.
Some here won't like it but i believe the Cowboys are slating him to be permanent replacement at LT for Tyron..

McKDaddy

Reaction score
that vet Dorace Armstrong is gonna be allowed to walk as a UFA next offseason.

Only Dorance takes Dorance off the team. Put some respect on that man's name.

Just kidding ... in a way ... but he'll probably only walk if someone opens up the vault. Which might happen given his stats this year.

quickccc

Reaction score
Only Dorance takes Dorance off the team. Put some respect on that man's name.

Just kidding ... in a way ... but he'll probably only walk if someone opens up the vault. Which might happen given his stats this year.

yes, it will happen this offseason. Some team is going after Armstrong with $$.
Pass rushers are in heavy demand, and they tend to get paid. Even overpaid.

If there wasn't a Williams on the rise, ..it would likely be a different story and Armstrong would be a mainstay.
It's not set in stone yet, but it's likely to go the FA way.

Always happen when you've invested, coached and developed a player, and here comes FA to swipe them away (Gregory, Cedrick Wilson)
Same likely to happen with safety Donovan Wilson as well, ..

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

If there wasn't a Williams on the rise, ..it would likely be a different story and Armstrong would be a mainstay.

Always happen when you've invested, coached and developed a player, and here comes FA to swipe them away (Gregory, Cedrick Wilson)
Thought we had Armstrong signed through 2024, am I wrong here?

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score

• B.Jones
  • Ramsey
  • TJ Watt
  • I.Wynn
  • Lamb
  • Parsons
  • Linderbaum
If we had drafted Jones and Ramsey then we wouldn't have Diggs. If we had gotten Watt I don't think we'd take Parsons.

rambo2

Reaction score

Dorrance Armstrong is under contract for next season.