Sanjay Lal helped Tavon Austin have his best training camp ever

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Championship?

Let's move on to 2019 season
With us knowing ET is coming to town, I would like to see a 1tech DT drafted in the first round and with TWill gone maybe a solid number 2 WR in the second. Hope we can repeat. :)

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
It’s not hard to find a Dallas Cowboys wide receiver raving about Sanjay Lal.

Lal has come in and immediately made a gigantic impact. If you don’t believe me just know that Terrance Williams has been balling out and catching with his hands through Lal’s first training camp with the Cowboys. Yes, that’s right.

Williams isn’t the only receiver who’s seemingly been re-made under Lal’s tutelage. Buffalo Bills castoff Deonte Thompson has had a great camp (when he was healthy enough to participate), Allen Hurns is playing well, and former Los Angeles Rams utility weapon Tavon Austin has been one of the bigger storylines to emerge from Oxnard.

Everything said about Austin pre-Oxnard tended to involve what position the team website listed him under. These days he’s making play after play, inspiring Cowboys fans everywhere to believe he’s going to have an enormous impact on the offense this season.

Austin recently went on record and not only said that he felt this was his best training camp of his career, but that he felt that way specifically for one reason... Sanjay Lal.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...tavon-austin-have-his-best-training-camp-ever

People don't believe me when I tell them that the rams didn't know what the hell they were doing with Austin.

All they see is McVay and say genius instead of looking at what the rams did and changed when McVay was hired.

McVay wanted woods, Watkins, kupp, Gurley.

Not Austin. Austin was going to be on his way out after the season and McVay knew it coming in.

Its not about McVay genius, its about McVay likes and dislikes. Austin will ball out this season.

foofighters

Reaction score
It’s not hard to find a Dallas Cowboys wide receiver raving about Sanjay Lal.

Lal has come in and immediately made a gigantic impact. If you don’t believe me just know that Terrance Williams has been balling out and catching with his hands through Lal’s first training camp with the Cowboys. Yes, that’s right.

Williams isn’t the only receiver who’s seemingly been re-made under Lal’s tutelage. Buffalo Bills castoff Deonte Thompson has had a great camp (when he was healthy enough to participate), Allen Hurns is playing well, and former Los Angeles Rams utility weapon Tavon Austin has been one of the bigger storylines to emerge from Oxnard.

Everything said about Austin pre-Oxnard tended to involve what position the team website listed him under. These days he’s making play after play, inspiring Cowboys fans everywhere to believe he’s going to have an enormous impact on the offense this season.

Austin recently went on record and not only said that he felt this was his best training camp of his career, but that he felt that way specifically for one reason... Sanjay Lal.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...tavon-austin-have-his-best-training-camp-ever
I think this says more about how bad our coaching stuff was versus how good this guy is...

Oh, and it's still not great with JG and Co...

jrumann59

Reaction score
I can hardly get over my astonishment that Sanjay & Richard, as position coaches, would teach & demand the fundamentals of the respective positions. What will they come up with next?

(in other words, what the hell were their predecessors focused on?)

Facebook, twitter and cat videos...

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I can hardly get over my astonishment that Sanjay & Richard, as position coaches, would teach & demand the fundamentals of the respective positions. What will they come up with next?

(in other words, what the hell were their predecessors focused on?)

Derek Dooley was not a position-specific coach even though he was our receivers coach. His experience as strictly a receivers coach was having played the position and then having coached the position at SMU from 1997-99. From 2000 on, he's coached tight ends, running backs, special teams and been an assistant head coach and head coach.

I'm sure Dooley has accumulated a lot of knowledge over his years in coaching, but that doesn't make him a great position-specific coach.

Lal coached receivers at a high school from 1996-2002, one year at a small college, from 2009-2011 in Oakland, from 2012-14 for the New York Jets, 2015-16 with Buffalo and 2017 with Indianapolis. He did coach quarterbacks at two colleges from 2004-2006, but clearly he has spent most of his coaching career specifically focusing on that one position.

Last edited:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I don’t understand how Lal can be considered a pretty bad coach throughout his career and then he’s suddenly some magician in Dallas. What has changed?

cern

Reaction score
when Stephen brought in lal (with advice from mcclay) he let him know he would be here to bring in new ideas and techniques. last year's invertebrate of a hc, garrett, was perfectly content to have the offense force the ball to our former #1 wr. he did nothing to take the heat off Beasley and his double teams. he did nothing to change the most recognizeable scheme in the nfl. but not anymore. new sheriff, new deputies.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I forget; if he’s a football god, why was he available?

Football "god" is a bit excessive, but in any case, very good coaches are available at times, especially if the overall situation with their previous team was bad. New head coaches may bring in their own staff, or assistants may be fired to try something new. I'm willing to see how things work out, but surely it's at least a good sign if the players think he is doing them some good.

superonyx

Reaction score
There has to be something to it, for every receiver to speak of him with such praise. To a man they are crediting Sanjay with their Improvement when they could have easily been less flattering with their assessment.
They are being asked questions from these beat writers about the new hype god Sanjay....
Of course they are all going to sound like a bunch of boot lickers. They are brown nosing for playing time.

Has any player ever said they just had their worst camp ever?

Let Zeke get injured for half the season and watch these guys.

I’m not buying the Sanjay hype. He hasn’t succeeded anywhere he went.
Instead of getting promoted he just keeps getting fired each year or 2.

superonyx

Reaction score
Football "god" is a bit excessive, but in any case, very good coaches are available at times, especially if the overall situation with their previous team was bad. New head coaches may bring in their own staff, or assistants may be fired to try something new. I'm willing to see how things work out, but surely it's at least a good sign if the players think he is doing them some good.
What else do you expect them to say when asked about Sanjays impact?

They see what happens when you don’t ball ride a coach....speak anything but praise and you end up working out for the Cleveland Browns.