Saturday Divisional Games Thread

JustChip

Reaction score
The Eagles approach is more calculated and will result in a more consistent team. Now whether it will get them to multiple SBs like it did the Rams we have yet to see.
Has it though?

The Eagles have won the Division 4 times in the last 10 years, including this year, having not repeated during that time. And they finished 2nd in the Division 4 time in that same 10 year period. They made the playoffs 6 times in that period, going 5-4 overall. But 3 of those wins were in that magical 2017 SB season. They lost in the Wildcard or Divisional round 4 of the other 5 times.

Dallas has won the Division 4 times in that same 10 year period, also not repeating. And have finished 2nd 4 times as well. They’ve made the playoffs 5 times in that same period, going 3-4, losing in the Wildcard or Divisional round all 5 times.

Overall, not much difference between the 2 teams in the last 10 years. The only difference has been their 2017 SB season. I’m not discounting that at all, that’s what they play for. But getting to the SB largely depends on a number of factors, none the least of which is health and official’s decisions. How much more would Sean Payton be held in regard had an a horrendous non-call been made in 2018? NO almost certainly wins that game and is playing in a 2nd SB.

I will say the 1 difference between the Philly and Dallas approach is that Philly absolutely values the defensive line way more so than Dallas. They have also been very good in making moves to increase their draft capital. I guarantee Philly doesn’t give Cooper away for pittance. Of course, part of that problem was his contract, but as evidenced by the Rams with Goff and the Eagles with Wentz, that is not an total roadblock.

DZSierra

Reaction score
268 yards rushing is all that mattered yesterday. It was the OL and the secondary additions that made all the difference yesterday.
That's the thing about them. The games I did get to watch them play they seemed like they were pass happy, but relied more on the running game yesterday. Hurts did have that 40 yard pass on the first drive, but other than that, nothing deep.

Makes you wonder if his throwing has gone down hill or they knew they could run the ball and decided they didn't have to live by passing.

DZSierra

Reaction score
But getting to the SB largely depends on a number of factors, none the least of which is health and official’s decisions
Bingo.

At the end of the day, sometimes you're just lucky. Thing is, to add to your roster via your deficits IMO to add to your "luck" factor in the season.

On any given Sunday, a less superior team can beat a better team. Thing is, to put yourself in the playoffs to make that happen.

JustChip

Reaction score
Bingo.

At the end of the day, sometimes you're just lucky. Thing is, to add to your roster via your deficits IMO to add to your "luck" factor in the season.

On any given Sunday, a less superior team can beat a better team. Thing is, to put yourself in the playoffs to make that happen.
Right. The Cowboys did that this year with Hankins. And Hilton to a lesser degree.

There was a long debate in yesterday’s Divisional Game thread about the merits if going all in to win 1 SB and then be poor for several years. The alternative was to make the playoffs for 10 straight years, but no SB appearances or wins.

The Rams were the example of the all-in. But that debate is a hindsight debate. Yes, the Rams won the SB last year, but they had to win both their Divisional and NFCC games at the last minute on FG kicks. Either could’ve gone the other way (Buffalo and Scott Norwood know about that).

I’ll take 19 years if playoffs because, last time I checked, you can’t win a SB if you don’t make the playoffs. 10 straight years of playoffs increases your chances for everything coming together to appear in or win a SB.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
And we've been irrelevant for almost 30 years. Maybe we wouldn't have been if we'd gone all in during one of those seasons where we had actually built a pretty good team.

Do whatever it takes to win a title. Don't let good teams go to waste.
They’ve won 12 games the last 2 years. The Rams won 5.

JustChip

Reaction score
I think fans forget the Rams and Cowboys both were 12-5 last year and the Cowboys were actually the higher seed. The Rams had to win their Divisional and NFCC games in the last minute. In fact, they were 10 points down to the Niners at home entering the 4th quarter in the NFCCG. The difference between them playing in the Super Bowl or not was razor thin, as it is for virtually ever SB winner. Just look at Tampa the year before.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
mr Rockport----total total agreement....i thought Rams and Sheagles may have overpaid and been in the supposed "Cap H e double toothpics"...but they seem to do alright and not just alright but win super bowls

since 1996 cowboys and commanders and i believe Lions only teams not to reach NFC champ game?....like management position to NEVER over pay for free agents is killing us....where we over pay routinely

for our own players.....the management closed mindedness against Amari Cooper and letting him go for next to nothing and we are in top receiver cap H E double toothpicks because of it.....even the angst

that Cooper appeared "missing" in games...he was being double teamed all the time....which allowed other receivers wide open....look at Dak's stats with and without Amari.....we so bad wished we had

Amari now....oh man pay 20 million...if you will pay 15 mil a year for a failed RB....the true ones that go "missing" in games is the Moore/Dak team...at times it appears KM is flying and times i dont know

if its Dak audibling at the line or just Moore....but we look "bush-league"....and our defense keeps us in games....dont let the DC go....dang come on move on from KM....what is it with mgmnt that we wont let

go of certain people?.....Fisher nailed it when he said..."Jerry is a Marketeer that just so happens to own NFL team"...how do you argue paying 140 mil turn it into + 8 billion?....but us fans want more

than to never make it past divisional round

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just hope the Cowboys don't hurt any 49ers players tomorrow. They need to be 100% to knock off the Eagles in the NFCCG.
mr Risen---i apologize for how poorly we played yesterday....if you knew before hand defense would only allow 19 points....you probably would have felt great?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think fans forget the Rams and Cowboys both were 12-5 last year and the Cowboys were actually the higher seed. The Rams had to win their Divisional and NFCC games in the last minute. In fact, they were 10 points down to the Niners at home entering the 4th quarter in the NFCCG. The difference between them playing in the Super Bowl or not was razor thin, as it is for virtually ever SB winner. Just look at Tampa the year before.
mr JChip---there was a time cowboys were almost always on winning side of razor thin difference in scores.....we lost by 6 last year and by 7 this year....they had 7 1/2 days rest and we had 4 1/2 days rest

to me that is close to criminal during playoff part of season....played a big part why Hendershot pulled hamstring...and as i mentioned to Risen what if before the game you knew our defense would hold

SF to only 19 points.....i would have been real happy....offense forgot to show up...plus losing Pollard was the stake that went through our hearts....Dak should have also had a pick 6 against him and

Diggs could not pull in the INT...during playoffs to not allow both teams same amount of rest after playing 18 games is close to criminal....one 71/2 days SF and cowboys 41/2 or less with all travel

did not hear any commentators speak about that but its huge

JustChip

Reaction score
mr JChip---there was a time cowboys were almost always on winning side of razor thin difference in scores.....we lost by 6 last year and by 7 this year....they had 7 1/2 days rest and we had 4 1/2 days rest

to me that is close to criminal during playoff part of season....played a big part why Hendershot pulled hamstring...and as i mentioned to Risen what if before the game you knew our defense would hold

SF to only 19 points.....i would have been real happy....offense forgot to show up...plus losing Pollard was the stake that went through our hearts....Dak should have also had a pick 6 against him and

Diggs could not pull in the INT...during playoffs to not allow both teams same amount of rest after playing 18 games is close to criminal....one 71/2 days SF and cowboys 41/2 or less with all travel

did not hear any commentators speak about that but its huge
I agree. But the NFL doesn’t care - it’s all about the money.

Of course, the counter argument is win your Division and you don’t have to worry about it. There would still be the Monday vs. Saturday timing, but at least they would’ve been home Monday.

Think about this - had they won, they would be going back across the country to play in Philadelphia. Coast to coast to coast. And on the east coast before that.

That Diggs drop was a killer. And Austin not scoring on that last runback.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Has it though?

The Eagles have won the Division 4 times in the last 10 years, including this year, having not repeated during that time. And they finished 2nd in the Division 4 time in that same 10 year period. They made the playoffs 6 times in that period, going 5-4 overall. But 3 of those wins were in that magical 2017 SB season. They lost in the Wildcard or Divisional round 4 of the other 5 times.

Dallas has won the Division 4 times in that same 10 year period, also not repeating. And have finished 2nd 4 times as well. They’ve made the playoffs 5 times in that same period, going 3-4, losing in the Wildcard or Divisional round all 5 times.

Overall, not much difference between the 2 teams in the last 10 years. The only difference has been their 2017 SB season. I’m not discounting that at all, that’s what they play for. But getting to the SB largely depends on a number of factors, none the least of which is health and official’s decisions. How much more would Sean Payton be held in regard had an a horrendous non-call been made in 2018? NO almost certainly wins that game and is playing in a 2nd SB.

I will say the 1 difference between the Philly and Dallas approach is that Philly absolutely values the defensive line way more so than Dallas. They have also been very good in making moves to increase their draft capital. I guarantee Philly doesn’t give Cooper away for pittance. Of course, part of that problem was his contract, but as evidenced by the Rams with Goff and the Eagles with Wentz, that is not an total roadblock.
me thinks the Sheagles will roll over 9ers?...since i hate both....it will just be no tension watching game...i might have to go Cincy this year?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree. But the NFL doesn’t care - it’s all about the money.

Of course, the counter argument is win your Division and you don’t have to worry about it. There would still be the Monday vs. Saturday timing, but at least they would’ve been home Monday.

Think about this - had they won, they would be going back across the country to play in Philadelphia. Coast to coast to coast. And on the east coast before that.

That Diggs drop was a killer. And Austin not scoring on that last runback.
JustChip---that says it all....NFL dont care its all about the money