Video: Scandrick on the McCarthy hire

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Scandrick is turning into quite the chatter box. He must want a job in media bad.

And if this Witten thing is true, then nothing has changed. I doubt McCarthy is pulling together his staff and the first thing he says is "ya know, I think I am going to hire Jason as my TE coach".

Scandrick is trying so hard to be relevant again. Lol! Bless his little heart.

Oneiros

Reaction score
A lot of people already projecting Witten as a coach on the staff and Rex Ryan even says they will groom him to be the next coach.

Keeping that country club environment in tact.

He also says Byron Jones is probably gone

Well, considering that it looks like we're making the call to Mike Nolan over Kris Richard then that's already one positive.

kumizi

Reaction score
You could do a lot worse than Witten at TE coach. How many of you that don't want him have ever coached? Just wondering....
Being an elite player has no correlation to being a good coach or GM. I dunno why people keep bringing up this stupid argument.

CWR

Reaction score
Doug nussmeier did a great job with tight ends and with Blake jarwin problem is he couldn't get the jarwin into the game that wasn't his decision if he had his way I guarantee you he would have had jarwin in there more than witten

Who made that decision?

DanA

Reaction score
Kind of agree with everything Scandrick said.

CWR

Reaction score
McCarthy is a reasonable man, but he is not going to load up his coaching staff with cronies from the past regime when his name is atop of the accountability chart. He may want Witten on the staff, but likely not before being shown something first. Being a HOF player doesn't exactly transcend into a coaching career.

One positive pointing towards Witten becoming a good coach in the future is that he was successful without elite athletic ability. Youd have to believe he has something to teach. Wether or not hes capable of delivering a lesson is the question. I wouldn't mind some type of assistant to the assistant, foot in the door position for him, but youre right he needs to show something before being handed a more prominent role.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Name to watch for TE coach.

My old Ilion, NY Legion Ball teammate.

Brian Angelichio. Last seen on Jay Gruden's staff and coached with McCarthy in GB.

Developed:

Jordan Cameron in CLE
Cameron Brate in TB
Gary Barnidge in CLE
Jared Cook in GB

His guys do well historically.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
One positive pointing towards Witten becoming a good coach in the future is that he was successful without elite athletic ability. Youd have to believe he has something to teach. Wether or not hes capable of delivering a lesson is the question. I wouldn't mind some type of assistant to the assistant, foot in the door position for him, but youre right he needs to show something before being handed a more prominent role.
Witten was a complete package as a player. Preparation, skill, effort, leadership, performance at a high level for many years, instant credibility. That's a pretty good start for career in coaching.

CWR

Reaction score
Witten was a complete package as a player. Preparation, skill, effort, leadership, performance at a high level for many years, instant credibility. That's a pretty good start for career in coaching.

I like the fact he did it without elite athletic ability. You cant coach 4.3 speed ect. Let him teach the youngsters how he got open.

conner01

Reaction score
It appears MM will have the staff he wants
I suspect Moore sticks around but doesn’t call plays
Could be great for Moore, he got a year of calling now gets to see a different type of play caller doing it
I suspect MM will be calling plays

Reactions: CWR

kumizi

Reaction score
It also doesn't mean that they can't be.
I'm not the one making the "you never played/coached so your opinion doesn't count" argument.

I think Bob Sturm probably knows more about football than 90% of players.

conner01

Reaction score
Go get the best special teams coach available
That’s where a real impact can be made

Spurdog

Reaction score
Scandrick said that Richard will be DC. "That's gonna happen" . Well how did that turn out?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not the one making the "you never played/coached so your opinion doesn't count" argument.

I think Bob Sturm probably knows more about football than 90% of players.
Lol!!!! Touchy

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I've never coached. But I don't want witten. The ultimate progress stopper never helped another te on this team and his boot camp speeches never worked. kudos to the great player he once was. But an emphatic no to witten the coach. Let him earn his stripes elsewhere.
favre never helped rodgers