Video: Schlereth vs Whitlook: Jason Witten ends retirement

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That was one of the better panel discussions I've seen on any subject. I don't agree completely that he's leaving the booth because he wasn't good at it, but I don't see it giving him any reason to stay. Other than that, I think as a group, they nailed it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good piece......notice the part of Jason's impact they touched on that little to do with STATS. Other words, the intangibles of his presence and experience are being overlooked by some fans IMO. Many have said he's slow and that true but speed has NEVER been a big part of his game. Just think many who are doubting him now, will be happy we have him by mid-season.

GMO415

Reaction score
He came back to his safety blanket. Witt failed at ESPN.

The real leaders of this team needs to hand Witt some sports tape and tell him to sit down somewhere. It's not his team anymore.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We will never know what really sparked his exit from ESPN but he was very aware of the criticism because he tried to make light of it on one broadcast the other two laughed a little too hard which shows how sensitive they were to it. He was not comfortable doing it and didn't have a lot of help and I don't blame Tessitore or McFarland.

And all of the hand wringing that's going on about him returning and stunting the growth of the other TE's is a little silly. They're going to get their reps unless they allow him to take them from them. If he plays more than what they're slating for him now, about 25 a game, then the other TE's failed to step up.

As far as helping Prescott and the offense, this looks to be the best WR corps he's ever worked with a true #1 that can cause DC's to shift coverage and an emerging #2 that might rival Thrill Hill as the best #2 ever, he looks to have all the potential necessary. The objective is to stretch the defense and go downfield and with Witten's ability to get open over the middle, this could help open up the offense and keep teams from stacking the box.

I'll bet the happiest guy on the team, besides Garrett because they're friends, is Moore. The first year OC has one of the smartest TE's to ever lace them up and having that guy that can read D's is one less thing for him to be concerned about. His #1 objective is to get the DC to back the extra man out of the box and Witten should help him with that.

I thought the most interesting part of that was Schlereth's comments about Witten's run blocking. He's an ex OL and they watch the game differently so he's countering these comments coming from non ex OL posters here. I also think it's funny that when Gronkowski mentioned getting that part of the game down, Witten was the player he mentioned.

Now, I am gonna say what I feel. Shame on you. The man is one of the greatest Cowboys of all time, one of the few Man of the Year recipients and has been nothing but the consummate warrior for this team as long as he's been there. If he needs to come home to get his head right, what the hell is your problem with it? How about we back off the hammering his short broadcast career and focus om how he might help this team and do not underestimate his leadership effect on that locker room.

Man, I get the Gregory and Irving vitriol because they let us down. When, ever, has Jason Witten let us down? Hell, the man even tried to help Dez Bryant. And you doubters, do not underestimate this man's drive and passion for the game. While all of this BS swirls around about the money, we've got one that's always been about the game. One that could have played in any era.