Twitter: Scott Linehan: It starts with me

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would like to think Scott is being genuine. BUT HE ISNT. This seems a little programmed to me. Like he was told to take the heat by Jerry
I think a lot is programmed...except for Booger's mouth.

I do believe there is a lot of concern about the cosmetic view of the team, got to make sure we look good. Goes with the entertainment value exceeding the football value.

Only ostriches don't know there is a problem with the offense but they cannot and will not admit what the real problem might be. Firing Linehan will be the solution when he is really only part of the problem and we really don't know if the team has a QB problem but they look ready to move forward with him.

Linehan was kept as the sacrifice and maybe Alexander was there as well and they decided to pull the trigger on that early to give the impression that they are doing something. They spend 3 1sts and a 2nd on the OL and think Columbo is going to fix this? They have ?'s at LG, RT and maybe LT and the 2nd best OL is turning out to be the FA C. And what they, by design, wanted to be the strength of the team is anything but.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He could have said...

"It all starts with the coaching and I stand at the center of that circle"... or something to that nature.

He's the offensive coordinator of an offense that isn't working so it's appropriate for him to take the blame. This is nothing unusual.

gimmesix

Reaction score
No I would expect Garrett to say it’s Garrett’s fault. Scott shouldn’t be the one making statements about how it’s on him.

I think each coach and each player involved in what is not working should take the blame, and that includes Garrett.

I have no problem, though, with the offensive coordinator acknowledging that he is at fault when the offense is not working.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Which is why I don't understand why they don't shoot for the moon with Rico and they keep trotting out these jags that don't know their assignments.

Can't understand that either. This team is lead by morons.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Translation:

"Jerry said I'm getting fired anyways at the end of the year, but he promised me if I made myself look accountable and protected Dak/Garrett, then he'd put a good word in for me around the league to get another job somewhere."

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
If JG was a part of the play calling I would agree. Jason may be able to save the season if he took over play calling IMO. Don't get me wrong Jason I firmly believe that Jason has lost the team and therefore must go at the end of the season but if JJ made him hire Linehan to take over play calling why would the offense be JG's fault. We as fans act as if our organization is not dysfunctional. It is ran like no other in the NFL. We are the best drafting team in the NFL yet we have the same issues.

JG is the main problem. Its his playbook that Linehan uses. Even his playcalling is worst than Linehan. Thats why they took that away from him.

gimmesix

Reaction score
NOT IN DALLAS. This isn't the norm here. Stinks to high Heaven.

Just a quick search and you have a statement like this from 2017 from Marinelli before the season started:

"Probably not, not that I can remember,'' Marinelli said entering Sunday night's game against the New York Giants. "But I think part of our system is it's our job to get these men prepared.

"We have no excuses, none as coaches. They reflect us. If the reflection isn't good, then that's on us.''

Here's Scott Linehan after the Texans' loss when Allen Hurns lashed out about the play-call on an interception:

“I’m the first one, if you had a better play against that coverage, to say we could’ve had a better call there,” Linehan said. “You can put that more on me. You don’t have to put that on Allen Hurns.”

Here's Garrett when he was coordinator in 2010 taking blame:

Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett is taking the blame for trying an ill-fated play at the end of the first half Sunday against the Washington Commanders instead of having Tony Romo take a knee.

"I called the play," Garrett said Wednesday. "It's my fault."

I could keep going, but hopefully this will suffice.

Coaches, especially coordinators, taking blame when their unit isn't playing well is perfectly normal. Fans are reading way too much into this.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Just a quick search and you have a statement like this from 2017 from Marinelli before the season started:

"Probably not, not that I can remember,'' Marinelli said entering Sunday night's game against the New York Giants. "But I think part of our system is it's our job to get these men prepared.

"We have no excuses, none as coaches. They reflect us. If the reflection isn't good, then that's on us.''

Here's Scott Linehan after the Texans' loss when Allen Hurns lashed out about the play-call on an interception:

“I’m the first one, if you had a better play against that coverage, to say we could’ve had a better call there,” Linehan said. “You can put that more on me. You don’t have to put that on Allen Hurns.”

Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett is taking the blame for trying an ill-fated play at the end of the first half Sunday against the Washington Commanders instead of having Tony Romo take a knee.

Coaches, especially coordinators, taking blame when their unit isn't playing well is perfectly normal. Fans are reading way too much into this.
not normal in Dallas though. When you start seeing coaches not named Garrett making these statements, its certainly out of the norm and means curtains for Garrett.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
All I see from this is that the criticism against Garrett is hurting Jerry's feelings. It's getting under his skin. Therefore, he's trying anything and everything to try and save his little red-headed baby from the lynch mob.

The media is only going to get louder and louder. Jerry will really be forced to can Garrett.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

We are talking about right now. What hasn't Garrett taken any type of blame for anything this season?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Garrett should have been fired last year. In typical fashion, THE F.O. hangs on to coaches,players,staffers a year or 2 too long.

gimmesix

Reaction score
We are talking about right now. What hasn't Garrett taken any type of blame for anything this season?

Because Garrett likes to give out vague answers that say nothing concrete. Here's an example after the Seattle game that as close as we'll get to Garrett taking the blame:

“We haven’t played well enough on offense. So everybody has to look at it. I think it would be false for me to say this is about the play calling,” Garrett said. “This is about everything we’re doing offensively. We have to do better. We have to coach better, we’ve got to play better. We’ve got to run it better, we’ve got to throw it better. We’ve got to protect better. We have to do all the things that good offenses do. We have to do all those things better. We’re working hard to do that.”

gimmesix

Reaction score
not normal in Dallas though. When you start seeing coaches not named Garrett making these statements, its certainly out of the norm and means curtains for Garrett.

I'm not getting that. I think Linehan is taking some of the blame because it is his unit that is failing. If it means anything, it would be that Linehan's neck is on the chopping block. Garrett has an out because the Joneses will first get rid of Linehan.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Because Garrett likes to give out vague answers that say nothing concrete. Here's an example after the Seattle game that as close as we'll get to Garrett taking the blame:

“We haven’t played well enough on offense. So everybody has to look at it. I think it would be false for me to say this is about the play calling,” Garrett said. “This is about everything we’re doing offensively. We have to do better. We have to coach better, we’ve got to play better. We’ve got to run it better, we’ve got to throw it better. We’ve got to protect better. We have to do all the things that good offenses do. We have to do all those things better. We’re working hard to do that.”

It sounds like a 6th-grade intern writes Garrett's excuses. Therefore, it sounds so vague.

Some of the players aren't dumb either. They probably here these types of speeches every day from Garrett. No wonder the team doesn't know what to do.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm not getting that. I think Linehan is taking some of the blame because it is his unit that is failing. If it means anything, it would be that Linehan's neck is on the chopping block. Garrett has an out because the Joneses will first get rid of Linehan.
WHAT this all tells me is, all of the coaching staff are dead men walking. For Dallas standards lol...THIS isn't how we do it. That's why I think Garrett is all but gone if we lose this game. In fact, even if we win, he is gone...just not til the season is over. We lose this week, HE WILL BE FIRED NOW...along with scotty.

kskboys

Reaction score
In this Scheme you're only as good as your Everydown Te is.

Our everydown Te is constantly Average at best

Our offense has gone down the tubes since 82 left and it hasn't been that great the last few years with him here.

Get a superstar te that can score 8tds a year or Rotate our rbs and slot wrs so we don't have to watch these tes get these 3.5 yard averages per catch and 1 td a year.

The te is the glue in this entire offense. It will take a real Scoring threat at the position if he's gonna lead us in snaps at the playoff level.

Y'all wake up
You think a TE is the answer to solving this clusterfudge? OK then.