Scout’s Eye: Promising CB Among Undrafted Class

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Name: Chris Westry

Position: CB

College: Kentucky

Height/Weight: 6’4/199

Scouting Report:

• A lot of times, a player’s measurements are exaggerated – but not this guy. At 6’4, Westry is incredibly rangy, with long length.
  • He’ll need to refine his technique a bit. He tends to grab his man in coverage.
  • But he will fight to stay in position.
  • You see some start-stop quickness to his game. Can close ground when he has to.
  • Despite his large frame, he can move well. He will turn and run with his man.
  • There are snaps where his balance is not great, but he moves confidently. He will turn, open his hips and react to what he sees.
  • Carries his man across the field with ease. Not much separation to his game.
  • He does a good job of keeping things in front of him.
  • Overall, this is a promising player – worth being excited about. I worry about how much he grabs and holds. He will need some technique work with Kris Richard to help him here.
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scout-s-eye-promising-cb-among-undrafted-class

Mr_437

Reaction score
Ok whatever...
When the pads go on and a RB comes around the corner and Westry makes a tackle only then shall he be talked about.

I watched Holyfield (4.78) beat this dude around the corner twice and he didn't start his senior year...year I'ma wait.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Hes undrafted for a reason. Just an interesting test subject for Richard

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Hes undrafted for a reason. Just an interesting test subject for Richard
This. I get the measurables are enticing but let's remember he was undrafted for a reason so he's going to be flawed. Like you said....its about what Richard does with him. Not comparing the situation but there's a reason why Browner went undrafted and why Sherman and Chancellor slid. Gotta find a coach to get the most out of those guys. Byron Maxwell is another one.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

Scouting Report:

• A lot of times, a player’s measurements are exaggerated – but not this guy. At 6’4, Westry is incredibly rangy, with long length.
  • He’ll need to refine his technique a bit. He tends to grab his man in coverage.
  • You see some start-stop quickness to his game. Can close ground when he has to.
  • There are snaps where his balance is not great, but he moves confidently. He will turn, open his hips and react to what he sees.
  • Overall, this is a promising player – worth being excited about. I worry about how much he grabs and holds. He will need some technique work with Kris Richard to help him here.
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/scout-s-eye-promising-cb-among-undrafted-class

usually don't get too hyped on BB's pet cats. I've seen his "promising players" before. Maybe Richard can bring him along. That's my thing, are they coachable

Whyjerry

Reaction score
It is fair to say BB sucked as a scout. If he didn't suck he would still be a scout. Cowboys Media likes him because he is their own Charlie Casserly. Reality is if you listen to what he says, especially when it comes to personnel, he is wrong more often than right. In fact, he says some of the dumbest things of the entire media cast. Scouts Eye means zero to me. I don't mean to be nasty but BB is a buffoon.

There are guys on You Tube that are a million times more insightful.

Last edited:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but just read this "scouting report". There are guys on this forum that are way more insightful.
What kind of garbage is that? My younger daughter can watch a football game and tell me the same thing.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Scouting Report:

Chris Westry
HT............: 6044
WT..........: 199
ARM........: 33-3/4
HAND......: 09-1/4
WING......: 81-3/4
40............: 4.35
20............: 2.58
10............: 1.55
VJ............: 38
BJ............: 10’01”
SS............: -
3C............: -
BP............: 12

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Dude's hips are trash.

^^^Is actually insightful analysis of a pro CB prospect. Guys need to be able to jam, turn, and run or read and react. If they are too stiff in the hips it won't work in the NFL. "....balance is not great..." how the hell are you going to play CB at 6'4" in the NFL with questionable balance. I would bet it all this guy never plays a snap in Dallas.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't mean to beat a dead horse but just read this "scouting report". There are guys on this forum that are way more insightful.
What kind of garbage is that? My younger daughter can watch a football game and tell me the same thing.
Sounds like he's studiously trying to avoid saying anything negative. Which makes it inaccurate. Just give the info, good and bad.

kskboys

Reaction score
^^^Is actually insightful analysis of a pro CB prospect. Guys need to be able to jam, turn, and run or read and react. If they are too stiff in the hips it won't work in the NFL. "....balance is not great..." how the hell are you going to play CB at 6'4" in the NFL with questionable balance. I would bet it all this guy never plays a snap in Dallas.
TC fodder.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Sounds like he's studiously trying to avoid saying anything negative. Which makes it inaccurate. Just give the info, good and bad.

I know. "...grabs and holds..." but is "promising". The whole thing is a farce. I used to like BB in the beginning. Now he takes himself so seriously and thinks he is so smart. He treats callers like garbage with regularity. His work on the draft show is absolute garbage. Dane B makes that thing work but Broaddus is such a clown. He loves to say things like "the player" or "plays with violence". He tries to make himself so much above the rest of the regulars because "he was in the room". 100% Clown.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Actually heard CB and WR both suppose be really good ......why I said in another thread, I know it early but I can see CB getting strong consideration with our 2020 1st or 2nd rounder.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Westry reminds me a ton of Patrick Watkins.

Needs a ton of work. The team needs viable options as possible 3rd and 4th CBs in 2020. Gonna need inexpensive options like Westry and/or Olumba to emerge.