News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: Stephen Jones is ruthless and the real villain

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tex held the job during the days of take it or leave it deals. Lee roy jordan. Too tall jones. I don't defend Stephen, i just point out his successes. I don't waste my time hating on the jones family.
You should hate the way the Jones family have ran Cowboys Football. They have been the greatest handicap , hindrance and obstacle to overcome. Not to mention an embarrassment to our city and the legacy of football excellence the previous era produced. And why Jerry is the most hated sports personality in Dallas. If not for the early success with Jimmy they’d of been ran out of town.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Good, this front office could use some of that. Gives me hope for the future.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Who cares if we come in under budget if the results on the field don’t come in.

Wouldn’t we rather be playing for championships and Cap strapped?

I understand managing the Cap is essential in building a team but once it’s assembled you’ve got to sign your guys . Especially your Franchise QB unless you don’t think he’s your guy. There’s other places to get cheap and pinch pennies.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Right

The Buzz around town is Dak will be gone after this year.

The Buzz is probably correct, it's been reported now that the NFL and the NFLPA have an agreement in place that says the cap can't go below 175m next season, which means it isn't going up it's going to go down, where in the world will the Cowboys find money for Dak next season without A: restucturing a bunch of deals which will come back to haunt them or B: letting a lot of talent just walk. Considering a 2nd Tag will cost approx 38m, how will they be able to afford that? and there is no way Dak is going to lower his demands. Without Dak on the books for next season we are already at approx 175m spent, i will be very suprised if he is still here next season

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Buzz is probably correct, it's been reported now that the NFL and the NFLPA have an agreement in place that says the cap can't go below 175m next season, which means it isn't going up it's going to go down, where in the world will the Cowboys find money for Dak next season without A: restucturing a bunch of deals which will come back to haunt them or B: letting a lot of talent just walk. Considering a 2nd Tag will cost approx 38m, how will they be able to afford that? and there is no way Dak is going to lower his demands Without Dak on the books for next season we are already at approx 175m spent, i will be very suprised if he is still here next season
It’s looking like we missed our opportunity to get a deal done with Dak.

It makes you wish Dak goes out with a championship before he signs a huge deal somewhere else. What a fool Cheapskate Son and Daddy Idiot would look. Lol

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I often agree with you but I don’t think the team got cheap with Dak. I think they offered him around R Wilson money but wanted the five years to give them flexibility with the cap. Dak was adamant on the four years and Stephen was adamant on the 5.

IMO, it isn’t fair to expect the team to give on their stance while expecting Dak/France not to.

I think that it was a combination of a few things that led us to this point: The franchise tag, the uncertainty of the financial outlook because of the pandemic and the all-new coaching staff.

With the franchise tag, Dak’s services were guaranteed in Dallas, no matter what.

From Stephen’s perspective, Dak was going to be his QB in 2020, no matter what... which is the big thing and it removed any real sense of urgency that the team might feel. It did take away some cap room this season - all $31M had to hit this year - but it isn’t that different from what he’d be paying on a long term deal (LTD). Plus, the actual amount Dak is going to play for (31) is below the yearly average of what Dak would make on a LTD.

The financial outlook and what the league (and salary cap) will do was (I’m sure) always in the back of Stephen’s mind. I simply think that this kept Stephen from going any higher on his offer to Dak. He wasn’t, IMO, going to let the money creep up from what was already a crazy high figure (R Wilson) when he doesn’t know if the salary cap will flatten or even recede from its current figure. Particularly when Dak was making the team fight for flexibility in structure, along with the dollar figure.

It would have been reckless to do so, and frankly as much as I do like Dak, I’m glad that Stephen drew a line and didn’t cross it. I support that because as a fan of the team, I don’t want the cap to be too stressed to pay some of the other good players that they’ll need to.

Then, throw in that there is the inherent uncertainty of Dak having never played for McCarthy and in his system and you have a unique situation where the team felt like it wouldn’t be the worst thing in the world to let Dak play a year on the franchise tag. Let the league figure out where it will be financially before next season and have a year with Dak playing under MM to see what you’re getting there.

It makes perfect sense to me and really, I don’t understand why some are so upset by it. Yes, the contract will likely cost more next year but to have certainty on the cap and Dak’s play under McCarthy would be well worth it to the team.
Like I said above, the one thing that would have galvanized the team into getting a LTD done would have been if they could have lost his services this season... and absent that, there was too much upside with just waiting to next season to get the LTD done.

As for Dak, his perspective is simple: He will make $31 million this season, which is infinitely more than he made last season. Plus, he knows that he has great weapons in Dallas and will be playing under a coach that is somewhat of a passing game guru (and under Moore), so he expects to have a good enough season to up his pay after waiting a year. Not to mention that he knows more pressure will be on Dallas in a year because of the franchise tag being so high to do it again.

Making more this year than he’s ever made in his life and with the ability to pick right back up with the negotiations after the season made enough sense to him that he didn’t feel compelled to sign a deal now that isn’t 100% what he wanted.

So, I get both sides and why they decided to just wait until the off season to pick it up again.

I don’t think either side is really upset about waiting until after the season. There were simply too many reasons on each side to wait. No real reason to push hard and concede a lot on what they wanted. I think everybody is fine just waiting. Well, everyone except some of the fans.

This post, statement and opinion is absolutely outstanding. You just make so much sense out of what all we currently know about the contract negotiations, and that’s not knowing much because no one in the negotiations has spoken out. People speaking as they know what is really happening behind closed doors is just stupid.

Thank you Asthma for bringing some common scenes and levity to the discussion.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
It’s looking like we missed our opportunity to get a deal done with Dak.

It makes you wish Dak goes out with a championship before he signs a huge deal somewhere else. What a fool Cheapskate Son and Daddy Idiot would look. Lol

You and i disagree on this, i'm not a big Dak fan and that being said IMO he was offerred a very very fair deal and turned it down. It's not all on Son and Daddy some of it has to be on Dak. The Cowboys didn't lowball him

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You and i disagree on this, i'm not a big Dak fan and that being said IMO he was offerred a very very fair deal and turned it down. It's not all on Son and Daddy some of it has to be on Dak. The Cowboys didn't lowball him
You’re missing my point here. It’s not about what I want or believe it’s Critiquing our ownership based on what it was perceived they believed.

I’m not sold or All In on Dak. They were or have been presenting as such. And if they were then they missed a great opportunity to lock him up.

And they now might have to live with those effects of potentially not having a Franchise QB next year.

Personally I’m fine with moving on assuming we will make a better decision moving forward. But the effects of such decision on their part leaves them subject to criticism and what I’m about much like our media.

Who knows maybe Dalton will light it up or we’ll draft well in 2021 or sign another proven veteran. Anything’s possible but regardless it leaves our organization subject to criticism.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak could take a nosedive this year. We could not even attempt to resign him and other teams might not have as much interest. Dak could end up on a bench somewhere and Stephen would look brilliant.

We probably have some fans who will root for that. I’m rooting that Dak will make him look the fool and I’m not even a big Dak supporter. Been more of a critic.

But we have a team that’s built to contend now. We’ve( meaning our organization) has been All In up until standing firm on this contract on Dak.

So, it’s seems strange after buckling on every other main star on this roster this is where we make our Great Stand. It’s very risky IMO. Although it could be brilliant if we think we can do better in the draft next year or FA.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
You’re missing my point here. It’s not about what I want or believe it’s Critiquing our ownership based on what it was perceived they believed.

I’m not sold or All In on Dak. They were or have been presenting as such. And if they were then they missed a great opportunity to lock him up.

And they now might have to live with those effects of potentially not having a Franchise QB next year.

Personally I’m fine with moving on assuming we will make a better decision moving forward. But the effects of such decision on their part leaves them subject to criticism and what I’m about much like our media.

Who knows maybe Dalton will light it up or we’ll draft well in 2021 or sign another proven veteran. Anything’s possible but regardless it leaves our organization subject to criticism.

I'm not missing your point, all the organization can do is make what they believe to be a fair offer and they did that. There are not many out there who are arguing that the Cowboys didn't do that. They were willing to make Dak one of the highest paid QB's in the leauge (top 3) that wasn't good enough for Dak, you think maybe the Cowboys should have moved more to get a deal done, i don't i think they moved enough and offerred enough to get it done, Dak didn't want it and i think it will be Dak who regrets that move going forward not the Cowboys.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LMAO at the preposterous idea that he is good enough to be ruthless. He's the lucky sperm and when he's in charge, you will want to go dig Booger up and resuscitate him.

Underneath the photo of that clown should be "Nepotism, won't you help us stamp it out in our lifetime"? He's a s useless as a thong on a warthog.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm not missing your point, all the organization can do is make what they believe to be a fair offer and they did that. There are not many out there who are arguing that the Cowboys didn't do that. They were willing to make Dak one of the highest paid QB's in the leauge (top 3) that wasn't good enough for Dak, you think maybe the Cowboys should have moved more to get a deal done, i don't i think they moved enough and offerred enough to get it done, Dak didn't want it and i think it will be Dak who regrets that move going forward not the Cowboys.
I get all of that but with it comes criticism that you may or not agree with with. Most of the criticism is more related to the effects of not having Dak or a franchise QB moving forward.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Horrendous article. One, they were smart to not overpay for Murray. Two, the contract Dak was offered would have made him a Top 10 paid QB, fitting for what the reporter "Dink" thinks Dak is ranked. I suspect if Dak was willing to go to 5 years, the Cowboys would have upped the money. But to argue the Stephen was "ruthless" offering a contract in the range of what Wentz, Wilson was getting is patently absurd.
Taking Mahomes' unusual deal out of the equation, I think the contract offered to Dak would've made him the highest-paid QB or a very close second to Wilson....so much higher than just top 10.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I’m a big Dak supporter, but the author of this article is bordering on braindead. He seems to think you can just pay everyone whatever they want. I guess the concept of a salary cap is foreign to him. Also, bringing up Murray doesn’t exactly make a good case for his argument.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
How about Lawrence and Elliott?
I think the Lawerence contract was a bad one, but he was really all we had at DE at the time so they were boxed in a bit. I have zero problem with the Elliott contract. He’s a bit of a knucklehead, but he’s also one of the best, if not the best, players on the team. Yes he’s a RB, but he’s also what makes the team go. His contract actually is pretty favorable when you examine it.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Stephen you should have thought about that before paying Pro Bowl running back Ezekiel Elliott to a massive $90 million- six year contract extension last season.

Let’s be mindful that Zeke had two years remaining on his contract.

Although Zeke is one of the best running backs in the league, how do you give Zeke his money when he plays one of the most replaceable positions in football?

Ok.

It’s true Stephen offered Murray a low contract because they fed Murray twice as many carries as he had since he joined the league, but Murray was worth it and still had some gas in the tank at the age of 27. Stephen didn’t think he was worth his asking price and let him walk.

So, which is it?

And, by extending Zeke early, which they didn't care for but took advantage of, his cap hits would be not near 15mil a year until the very end when if his play dips he's an easy cut. People need to stop looking at total money cause very rarely will any player actually get all their salary from extensions.

Dallas signed him cause they found a way to make his contract flexible early and often-s long as he plays well. They also signed Smith to a team friendly team and struck early gold getting Collins locked up.

Blame goes on both sides, but there is no villain and victim among both sides.

You need to stop being rational on here. It isn’t allowed.