News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: Stephen Jones is ruthless and the real villain

Mannix

Reaction score
That's right Bourbon...tell everyone how wrong we are Mr. Capologist

Whyjerry

Reaction score
And when you examine SJ’s qualifications as an NFL executive....he qualified for his job the night Jerry’s check to buy the team cleared the bank. Stephen Jones is the complete embodiment of why nepotism is unhealthy for an organization that is supposed to measure success by championship trophies instead of Forbes magazine trophies.

Exactly. Beware the “isms”. Especially nepotism.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Stephen Jones is ruthless and the real villain

https%3A%2F%2Fsportdfw.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F06%2F489353642-dallas-cowboys-v-philadelphia-eagles.jpg.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys did not sign Dak Prescott to a long-term contract because of Stephen Jones' stubbornness. As expected with the Dallas Cowboys, they made...

Read Full Story
Just like father Jerry Dumbo GM Jones. Stupid is as stupid does.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Neither Jerry Sr nor his boys are qualified or good at what they do. Nepotism granted them these jobs , and its safe to say that if they made themselves available to other teams, they would have no suitors.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Stephen Jones is ruthless and the real villain

The Dallas Cowboys did not sign Dak Prescott to a long-term contract because of Stephen Jones' stubbornness. As expected with the Dallas Cowboys, they made...

Read Full Story

Another person who's passing on yet another sportswriter's speculation, yes speculation because in no place in this article is Stephen directly quoted as saying any of the things this sportswriter said. He then went on to TRY and build his case by telling the PARTIAL story about DeMarco Murray. \

After the eagles gave Murray that big 5 year contract contract which would indicate how good they thought he was, ONE YEAR LATER they had enough of him and found a taker in the titans who they gave Murray AND their 4th round pick for just the titans 4th round pick. THEN Murray only lasted 2 more seasons with the titans and they released him and then he was out of football. So Murray who didn't even make it through that 5 year contract, the 5 years he wanted from Stephen that Stephen wouldn't give him. Looks like that was a VERY SMART move.

On this website we see comments all the time from users who say the Cowboys ALWAYS cave in on their stars yet now when they don't now they are doing everything all wrong, at least according to this sportswriter.

As I've said many times, when I see direct quotes from those directly involved in what is being reported on, then those articles can be believed. Other than that it is just speculation and that and 2 bucks can get you some coffee at Starbucks.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Stephen Jones' career path:

Born as Jerry Jones' son
Graduate from same college as daddy
Get hired by daddy
Spend entire career with daddy's team
Inherit daddy's team
Die

One of the great motivators in job performance is knowing you could be fired if you fail. One of the greatest weaknesses in Dallas is the lack of this pressure.
We've seen the results.

Flamma

Reaction score
Another person who's passing on yet another sportswriter's speculation, yes speculation because in no place in this article is Stephen directly quoted as saying any of the things this sportswriter said. He then went on to TRY and build his case by telling the PARTIAL story about DeMarco Murray. \

After the eagles gave Murray that big 5 year contract contract which would indicate how good they thought he was, ONE YEAR LATER they had enough of him and found a taker in the titans who they gave Murray AND their 4th round pick for just the titans 4th round pick. THEN Murray only lasted 2 more seasons with the titans and they released him and then he was out of football. So Murray who didn't even make it through that 5 year contract, the 5 years he wanted from Stephen that Stephen wouldn't give him. Looks like that was a VERY SMART move.

On this website we see comments all the time from users who say the Cowboys ALWAYS cave in on their stars yet now when they don't now they are doing everything all wrong, at least according to this sportswriter.

As I've said many times, when I see direct quotes from those directly involved in what is being reported on, then those articles can be believed. Other than that it is just speculation and that and 2 bucks can get you some coffee at Starbucks.

I was never able to get even the regular coffee at Starbucks for 2 bucks. It's two and change. But I'll admit I never tried speculation to make up the difference.

As far as that article goes, I couldn't get through it because it had so much wrong with it.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I too have trouble with the Jaylon & Zeke contracts but I think Jaylon's was a fulfillment of a verbal commitment they had made to Jaylon when they drafted him. Heal up & get on the field & we'll re-sign you. I would never have drafted him as high as they did and don't think he's all that but if they gave him their word & kept it I don't see how anyone can be too mad about it.

I would certainly have forced Zeke's hand to play last year before getting a new contract. But even though the raw numbers of the contract look bad its my understanding that its not as bad as it looks on the surface.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Whoever wrote this article is just a HUGE Dak fan. That's all I took from it. Is it a relative of his?

cern

Reaction score
I

Well, Mum passed away, during a game of mah jongg.
You trying to be funny? Hurtful?
It can't be the former, grandad, dad, daddy-o.
the only thing sadder than your failed attempts at humor is that you actually believe you're funny. i'm 74, and still hunt and fish. and with an occasional little blue pill, woody can still be awakened. who can ask for anything more?? some tromp thru the alders, others tiptoe thru the tulips. best to miss vicky.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Stephen Jones' career path:

Born as Jerry Jones' son
Graduate from same college as daddy
Get hired by daddy
Spend entire career with daddy's team
Inherit daddy's team
Die

One of the great motivators in job performance is knowing you could be fired if you fail. One of the greatest weaknesses in Dallas is the lack of this pressure.
We've seen the results.

Gee you forgot that before Jones bought the Cowboys he spent his time working at his oil company and yes Stephen worked for him there too. So Stephen has spent his ENTIRE career with the Cowboys. See how easy it is to trip people up who exaggerate. Oh you also didn't mention that there are other NFL teams that have passed down to other generations, not to mention huge businesses, fortune 500 companies, that have done it too. You seem to think only the Cowboys will be the only one that will pass it down to another generation.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Oh you also didn't mention that there are other NFL teams that have passed down to other generations
How many of them are VP of Player Personnel?

The NFL has 32 teams. 30 of them have accountable (non-owner GM's) that can be fired. The 2 that don't are the Bengals and Cowboys. The Bengals have won 1 playoff game since 1990. The Cowboys have won 3 playoff games since 1996. The "GM's" remain despite that performance.

Awesome apologizing though.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
the only thing sadder than your failed attempts at humor is that you actually believe you're funny. i'm 74, and still hunt and fish. and with an occasional little blue pill, woody can still be awakened. who can ask for anything more?? some tromp thru the alders, others tiptoe thru the tulips. best to miss vicky.

I bet you watch reruns of "Wagon Train" and " Mr. Ed."And

And tell Woody he needs a life and let him go out on his own.

:laugh: