News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: Stephen Jones is ruthless and the real villain

BigD_95

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Stephen Jones is ruthless and the real villain

https%3A%2F%2Fsportdfw.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F06%2F489353642-dallas-cowboys-v-philadelphia-eagles.jpg.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys did not sign Dak Prescott to a long-term contract because of Stephen Jones' stubbornness. As expected with the Dallas Cowboys, they made...

Read Full Story

Did a 12 year old write that article? I felt like I was reading poorly written nonsense.

There is so much wrong with this article it’s embarrassing

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
How many of them are VP of Player Personnel?

The NFL has 32 teams. 30 of them have accountable (non-owner GM's) that can be fired. The 2 that don't are the Bengals and Cowboys. The Bengals have won 1 playoff game since 1990. The Cowboys have won 3 playoff games since 1996. The "GM's" remain despite that performance.

Awesome apologizing though.

Without going and checking all of the teams I know you are wrong about only two. Chris Mara as in John Mara owner and CEO of the giants, is senior vice president of player personnel. I know if I did check I will find more than just the Mara's too. You're just another one of those fans that sit on your couch and think that since you watch games that you know everything about everything about the NFL.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Without going and checking all of the teams I know you are wrong about only two. Chris Mara as in John Mara owner and CEO of the giants, is senior vice president of player personnel. I know if I did check I will find more than just the Mara's too. You're just another one of those fans that sit on your couch and think that since you watch games that you know everything about everything about the NFL.

Mara has a title. Dave Gettleman is the General Manager and the de facto head personnel guy.

I'd have zero problem with Stephen having the title alone like Mara does, and Will McClay had complete autonomy for player personnel decions, but that's not at all what is happening in Dallas.

I don't know or claim to know everything about the NFL. I'm learning everyday. But your accusation is still better than the type of fan you choose to be, sitting on your couch and just mindlessly signing off on everything the Jones do.

Simplest way to see who is right... what have Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones won since Jimmy's imprint was no longer on this roster? That's the goal right?

Great business men and if I wanted to root for businesses, I'd watch NASDAQ. I'm a football fan. I want to contend for championships. 24 years and the only constant is the Jones family running player personnel. They're bad at it. Their ego won't allow them to hire accountable, talented decision makers.

kskboys

Reaction score
Did a 12 year old write that article? I felt like I was reading poorly written nonsense.

There is so much wrong with this article it’s embarrassing
Eeeeeekkkkk.

That is indeed one of the most poorly written articles I've ever seen.

At the very least, he should've labeled his spew conjecture and opinion

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Mara has a title. Dave Gettleman is the General Manager and the de facto head personnel guy.

I'd have zero problem with Stephen having the title alone like Mara does, and Will McClay had complete autonomy for player personnel decions, but that's not at all what is happening in Dallas.

I don't know or claim to know everything about the NFL. I'm learning everyday. But your accusation is still better than the type of fan you choose to be, sitting on your couch and just mindlessly signing off on everything the Jones do.

Simplest way to see who is right... what have Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones won since Jimmy's imprint was no longer on this roster? That's the goal right?

Great business men and if I wanted to root for businesses, I'd watch NASDAQ. I'm a football fan. I want to contend for championships. 24 years and the only constant is the Jones family running player personnel. They're bad at it. Their ego won't allow them to hire accountable, talented decision makers.

IF, that huge word, IF you had seen the pregame for Super Bowl XLV in Dallas you would have seen a round table discussion with Jones, Johnson, Emmitt, Irvin, Aikman and The Moose where Johnson admitted in front of a hundred million people that he DID NOT have all the power and authority that people outside of the Cowboys, including fans, thought he had. One of the things that really irked him his entire time in Dallas was having to go to Jones for things he thought he should have been able to make the decisions on. Translation is fans have always given Johnson to much credit for the Super Bowl winning teams of the 90. Yes Johnson coached them, but remember big Johnson had to go to Jones for his approval on many things.

Next I'll admit that McClay has done a really good job but he went from having the title of head of the scouting department to giving him a bigger more important sounding title of vice president of player development which is head of the scouting department.

As far as me just signing off on what Jones does if that means that I wait until there are verifiable direct quotes from those directly involved in things and then base my opinions on that instead of basing my opinions on speculations and unsubstantiated rumors like you and others do, so be it.

One last thing. It's sad that you don't understand and comprehend the the business side of the NFL is just like other big businesses and to ask you to compare some of those fortune 500 companies to the NFL isn't telling you to become a big fortune 500 business fan but to only see the similarities. You sound just like the Mexican bandit in the comedy movie Blazing Saddles who said I don't need no stinking badgers when you say you don't need to see how other businesses are run in comparison to the NFL.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
you say you don't need to see how other businesses are run in comparison to the NFL.
I'm saying that I don't care.

I care about winning football games, especially playoff games.

If we were winning and contending for championships most years, like the Cowboys did in the past (1966 to 1985 only missed playoffs twice, included 12 NFCCG appearances), I'd actually think it's pretty cool that the Cowboys are such a successful business venture.

I can't stand that some fans are willing to substitute that financial success for football success.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This last paragraph sums it up.

“ This isn’t a knee-jerk reaction to a deal gone wrong, but its a reality check on how Stephen operates and how he’s willing to roll the dice on one of the best quarterbacks in the league and leave his franchise without a signal caller.“

If you don’t agree Dak is one of the best QB’s in the league then I can certainly see how you’d take issue . And I think that’s been mostly who we’ve heard from here agreeing with standing firm.

But the Cowboys power that be would not be in this group of doubters. They have clearly been touting how Dak is their guy , that he’s one of the best in the league and they are All In. And why they are being bashed for not getting their franchise QB signed risking the future of this team without their QB.

Last edited: