News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: Stephen Jones is ruthless and the real villain

cern

Reaction score
If you want cap flexibility then you don’t sign a running back two year before his deal is up. It’s funny...you keep talking about the pie getting smaller yet, they want Dak to sign a 5 year deal so they can restructure him. If the pie gets small create more pie. That’s what they do.
You create more pie by restructuring deals and spreading cap hits over longer periods of time. Ergo, the preference of 5 vs 4 year deals.

cern

Reaction score
We’ve got two years of control still. This will be a very different team in two years. A lot will happen.
Nothing stays the same. You either get better or worse.............jimmy johnson

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You create more pie by restructuring deals and spreading cap hits over longer periods of time. Ergo, the preference of 5 vs 4 year deals.
Understood but if you didn't sign bad contracts you wouldn't have to worry about restructuring deals to begin with.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Stephen became the guy a few years ago. He had no authority 25 years ago. And he had to wait for Jerry to finally get rid of Garrett. Now we'll see what happens. The old guard has been changed.
Stephens role and title haven’t changed . He’s been one of Jerry’s greatest influence the last 25 years as VP. And a big part of the lack of success as a talent evaluator and personnel manager.

He’s taken a more visible role in recent years and I think some fans have translated that perception he’s taken more control from Jerry. Some want to connect his influence in the Manziel influence as the point he begun inserting himself.

But there’s been no official announcement his role has changed only the perception from some fans in an attempt there could be more hope he’s making more decisions than Jerry. As always those close to Jerry have his ear and you must convince Jerry to go against his instincts.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d argue the improved personnel decisions and improved team building begun taking shape with Will and Jason despite his coaching flaws.

It would seem some of Stephens influences were some of the most costly decisions with his RB by committee debacle and then the WR by committee. Maybe if we lose Dak we’ll have a QB by committee debacle.

All sound cost cutting measures to improve Cap space which cost the team talent and better results on the field. It almost appears if there’s any connection at all with this touted improved Cap Mgmt it’s set our results on the field back.

It seems every time Cheapskate Son makes a Cap cut it reduces our team and we end up having use our 1st round pick the next year to recoup the loss of talent setting us back another year.

Qcard

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: Stephen Jones is ruthless and the real villain

https%3A%2F%2Fsportdfw.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F06%2F489353642-dallas-cowboys-v-philadelphia-eagles.jpg.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys did not sign Dak Prescott to a long-term contract because of Stephen Jones' stubbornness. As expected with the Dallas Cowboys, they made...

Read Full Story
Oh yeah! Shots fired...finally a journalist going after Stephen Jones. I'd like to see this guy ask Stephen Jones a question during press conference.
Todd France wouldn't let Dak take Stephen Jones special sauce contract. Zeke's contract is easily manageable for the Cowboys. Zeke had all the Leverage. He got more $$ a year earlier by siting out, highly likely Cowboys redid Zeke's deal after 2019. But Zeke saw Kellen and Dak's playbook..

Murray was a mistake, Ware was a mistake, Jones, Carr, Newman... we've got out closet of Stephen Jones stubbornness.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Except where's the successful result of his "shrewdness" ?

24 years without sniffing the Super Bowl. 24 years for one of the greatest franchises in all of sports.

Common denominator in that 24 years? The Jones'.
The Football Idiot Pres & GM and Cheapskate Son VP have been the one constant throughout.

Its produced mediocrity at the highest level in sports pimping the ride of the once glorious football franchise all so our Ultimate Fantasy Fan can run his football team from socks to jocks.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Oh yeah! Shots fired...finally a journalist going after Stephen Jones. I'd like to see this guy ask Stephen Jones a question during press conference.
Todd France wouldn't let Dak take Stephen Jones special sauce contract. Zeke's contract is easily manageable for the Cowboys. Zeke had all the Leverage. He got more $$ a year earlier by siting out, highly likely Cowboys redid Zeke's deal after 2019. But Zeke saw Kellen and Dak's playbook..

Murray was a mistake, Ware was a

I don’t really take issue with Cheapskate Son. Ultimately it’s on Daddy .

Daddy has his smartest son running the most important segment of the franchise with merchandising, Jerryworld , stadium rights and the Star.

Stephens only job is to manage the Cap.

cern

Reaction score
Understood but if you didn't sign bad contracts you wouldn't have to worry about restructuring deals to begin with.
Some bad deals are just impossible to avoid. Tank is an example. We couldn't count on gregory. Crawford was a so-so rde. We had to have one good lineman. Cooper another. We knew cobb was a goner. Gallup was fine, but no young wr stepped up to the plate. We had no idea Pollard would look so good, so zeke had us over a barrel. I'm sure we'd have preferred to keep quinn and byron but had to keep money set aside for dak. Tough job. Thankless, too.

Qcard

Reaction score
I don’t really take issue with Cheapskate Son. Ultimately it’s on Daddy .

Daddy has his smartest son running the most important segment of the franchise with merchandising, Jerryworld , stadium rights and the Star.

Stephens only job is to manage the Cap.
Sad to say managing a cap whilst is a means to securing a Championship and long term success, it can also be perfection being the enemy of progress.
Cowboys Football side are not in the balancing cap business. 25 years and counting

cern

Reaction score
The Football Idiot Pres & GM and Cheapskate Son VP have been the one constant throughout.

Its produced mediocrity at the highest level in sports pimping the ride of the once glorious football franchise all so our Ultimate Fantasy Fan can run his football team from socks to jocks.
Do you remember the last several years of the landry/schramm dynasty? Worst record in nfl. Lights turned off at valley ranch. Run down stadium. Team on verge of bankruptcy. Had there been a salary cap and free agency during the tom/tex era it would have been worse even sooner. Wanna talk cheapskate? How about tex schramm.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sad to say managing a cap whilst is a means to securing a Championship and long term success, it can also be perfection being the enemy of progress.
Cowboys Football side are not in the balancing cap business. 25 years and counting
Who cares if we’re managing the Cap better if the results on the field aren’t any better.

I’d settle for Cap hell and a SB appearance.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Do you remember the last several years of the landry/schramm dynasty? Worst record in nfl. Lights turned off at valley ranch. Run down stadium. Team on verge of bankruptcy. Had there been a salary cap and free agency during the tom/tex era it would have been worse even sooner. Wanna talk cheapskate? How about tex schramm.
Now you want to attack Tex by using the last 3 years instead of his full body of work.

Can’t you focus on defending Stephen. Tell us how well his Cap Mgmt is translating to success on the field.

cern

Reaction score
Now you want to attack Tex by using the last 3 years instead of his full body of work.

Can’t you focus on defending Stephen. Tell us how well his Cap Mgmt is translating to success on the field.
Tex held the job during the days of take it or leave it deals. Lee roy jordan. Too tall jones. I don't defend Stephen, i just point out his successes. I don't waste my time hating on the jones family.

Qcard

Reaction score
Who cares if we’re managing the Cap better if the results on the field aren’t any better.

I’d settle for Cap hell and a SB appearance.
Me too...plus the Owners pretty much ensured avoiding Cap Hell with Cap floors and restructuring abilities in the CBA.

There was an article about NFL GMs on Yahoo. Cowboys came in 13th. Eagles no surprise 3rd!! They figured it out

ESisback

Reaction score
Anyone that has been paying attention will know Stephen will be worse than Jerry. He has all of Jerry’s arrogance without any of his charm. Plus he is cheap.
Cheap?!? He offered 35, with 110 guaranteed! Add endorsements and no tax Texas, and Dak is FILTHY rich for life. The writer of this article IS a Dink!

Give these delusional, entitled players anything they ask for, or YOU’RE a villain?!? Hahahahaha

JoaquinFenix

Reaction score

https%3A%2F%2Fsportdfw.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2017%2F06%2F489353642-dallas-cowboys-v-philadelphia-eagles.jpg.jpg

The Dallas Cowboys did not sign Dak Prescott to a long-term contract because of Stephen Jones' stubbornness. As expected with the Dallas Cowboys, they made...

Read Full Story
If there’s one word I’d use to describe Bill Belichick in connection with his personnel decision-making, it’s “ruthless.” Stephen Jones should wear that as a badge of honor.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score

Read Full Story

Stephen Jones is known to be cheap mofo. He believes himself a football guy and financial savant.

None of this is a surprise.