News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: WR Randall Cobb too costly to re-sign

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If Cobb where to leave Dallas there is a kid who should be mid rd pick I would love to have and that is Devin DuVernay. Not big but physical as a slot WR

Flamma

Reaction score
they didn't last year. while he had a good year for us, it wasn't a $7 million year.

He's worth 7 mil a year easily. Besides Cooper and Gallup, there isn't another WR on the Cowboys besides Cobb worth anything IMO. I couldn't care less if they all left. Cobb used to aggravate me on the Packers, and he continues to get open with us as well. He is an excellent secondary WR. With Cooper can Gallup running around out there Cobb is the perfect compliment. Especially if we're keeping and paying Dak. Cobb is not easily replaced. I don't think 7 Mil is going to break the bank.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He made 5 mil last year
Probably gonna have to let him test the market but I don’t see anyone offering him 7 mil

He did. However, having been a starter for several seasons, I'm not sure it was understood just how much he would play here. He's clearly been established as a third receiver now, so it's a question of how much that is worth.

His yardage numbers were better than his previous three seasons, so it's possible $5 million is the lowest he would take.

conner01

Reaction score
He did. However, having been a starter for several seasons, I'm not sure it was understood just how much he would play here. He's clearly been established as a third receiver now, so it's a question of how much that is worth.

His yardage numbers were better than his previous three seasons, so it's possible $5 million is the lowest he would take.
I suspect atleast 5 and some incentives
He had a couple of incentives last year and I think he hit one for 250k
Give him 5 with a few more incentives
I don’t think 7 mil is happening anywhere

kumizi

Reaction score
Devin Smith is a one trick pony deep threat. He has nothing to do with slot wr Randall Cobb.

quickccc

Reaction score
Why any team would give him $7m is beyond me.

but yet some NFL teams tend to over value and over pay certain vet players. ...happens often around the league and every year- that's the nature of the FA market.

Question: was Cole Beasley worth the kind of contract Buffalo end up giving him, to depart a team he claimed he really wanted to stay with ? :rolleyes:

quickccc

Reaction score
if Cobb is truly wanting that price number, I can't blame him for trying to get all he can, and especially at this stage of his career.

just like Beasley, he's gotta test his market value with both the Cowboys, .and around the NFL. And get what he can in what's likely his last
chance at a big contract before he calls it quits, or the game quits on him.

Imo, Just as Beasley was not gonna get that dollar amount, neither will Cobb. - and if anyone is thinking it's gonna be different with McCarthy here now, Stephen Jones
is gonna set the dollar market value, not McCarthy.

Cowboys will make Cobb an offer - take it or leave it, and should Randall depart, team will seek the next best " money-ball" veteran slot guy option in FA market.
yes, we will have to do this all over again with the slot/punt return search again, but FA contract fiascos like this is just the nature and name of the game in the NFL.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
When are you guys going to let this Dez fiasco go? He's gone....he hasn't gotten any better sitting on the couch the last two years.

He runs like a sloth, has glass hands, and clumsy as all get out.....if he had anything to offer some team would've taken a flyer on him but they haven't....and won't.

Didn't Dez make the Saints roster? I thought he just got hurt.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Usually when you turn down an offer it's because you want more. So I'm gonna go with, he wants more money..final answer Regis.

Dak reportedly turned down the $33 miking dollar offer because there was not enough guaranteed money.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I'd really like to keep Cobb. $7M sounds high. Might be time to see what Cedrick Wilson and Noah Brown can do.

the slot in MM’s offense is an every down player. Hell, he runs spread more than most.

If Cobb isn’t brought back it’s going to be rough

And by God, no one better be saying “Hot damn! Dez can run 7 yard crosses into the endzone and jump 12 feet high on his rebuilt Achilles and do ally-oop dunks all over skinny little CB’s all day long!”

Two types of players can be highly successful in the slot. Speed players (Think: Tyreek Hill) or excellent route runners (Think: Adam Thielen)

dwreck27

Reaction score
Not that I haven’t been before from some desperate club...

But paying that much for a dude who didn’t produce is hilarious

snapper

Reaction score
Smith has speed, knows how to get open, a very good route runner, and very good hands.
I agree, his upside and a much younger player, is better.

Sign Cooper, we have Gallup. If Cobb signs a reasonable deal, and get Smith more involved. They do not have to draft a WR high, so they can draft defense.
Then there is still Noah Brown, he needs to be given more of a chance, if he can stay healthy, and also there is injury prone Cedric Wilson. Who shows flashes, but I am still not sold on him, never was. But still want to see more. This could be both players last chances to show what they have.

They also seemed to like this Vertrell Bryant, but then again we are talking Garrett and company too. Supposedly a good ST's play, and has some size, with some speed I think.
They have Johnson coming off IR as well, but I am not sold on him either, not worth keeping just for his speed. Reminds me of Alexander Wright.

The problem with Smith is he was the 5th WR and he couldn't play STs.

If Austin goes, Smith might have a better shot, but I would prefer the Cowboys cut bait with Brown, Smith and Wilson and draft a WR/STs ace that can impact the game. The WR draft class is stated to have great talent all the way through the 4th round, I'm focusing there rather than keep 4th and 5th WRs who have little impact on STs and may never develop into full-time starters.

starfan1

Reaction score
I'd really like to keep Cobb. $7M sounds high. Might be time to see what Cedrick Wilson and Noah Brown can do.
Well I’d like to see what Wilson can do we pretty much know what Noah is worth

not much unless he can put on weight and be TE 2

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When are you guys going to let this Dez fiasco go? He's gone....he hasn't gotten any better sitting on the couch the last two years.
hammer_hit_nail_hg_wht.gif

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
Sounds like he needs to take some courses in business and finance more than more guaranteed money.
No way to know without knowing the details. For all we know the Cowboys could have offered him a 7 year deal and only the first year is guaranteed. Dak would be dumb to take a deal like that.