News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: WR Randall Cobb too costly to re-sign

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
wow the cowboys have all this cap room and they are not going to be able to sign anybody according to most talking heads
Quite the contrast to when we barely had two pennies to rub together yet could "do whatever we want in free agency".

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Trade Cooper, and Dak re-sign a bunch of players, hit free agency, and have a bunch of draft capital.

Restart is needed, although not going to happen.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
We still have Devin Smith for 1 more year. Why they stopped using him, is crazy. But then again, it was Garrett and the lame coaching / coaches.
I like Cobb, and if he stays for what he did last year, which I believe was $5 million, I will be fine, but $7 million, not so sure.

Maybe one of the biggest mysteries of the year....Guy flashed all pre-season...Abused the Commanders in week 2.....then was gone. Maybe he asked for a raise? He wasn't on any injury report....:rolleyes:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
The funny thing about this story....Cobb was basically forced out of Green Bay...because of age/money. And now here comes McCarthy....and it's like this story is being leaked to get fans ready for his departure....all over again. Dude can't get away from McCarthy.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I like Cobb, good guy, good player, but if he chases a bigger contract elsewhere so be it. As many have been saying its a deep receiver class, plus there will be some other FA receivers available. 4 to 5 million is the max, anymore than that move on to the next guy.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I like Cobb, good guy, good player, but if he chases a bigger contract elsewhere so be it. As many have been saying its a deep receiver class, plus there will be some other FA receivers available. 4 to 5 million is the max, anymore than that move on to the next guy.

He's probably gone.

Would be surprised if he takes a pay cut to stay.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Why any team would give him $7m is beyond me.

Cobb was very good in the back half of the season. QB rating when thrown on in the 120s. Y/tgt for the whole season was 10. 828 yards, so his per target numbers were on significant production.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We still have Devin Smith for 1 more year. Why they stopped using him, is crazy. But then again, it was Garrett and the lame coaching / coaches.

The failure to develop Smith was a crime. But that's what happens on a coaching crew of short-timers playing for their jobs and failing. Nobody is going to give a hoot about developing a player they may not be around to use next year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Cobb was very good in the back half of the season. QB rating when thrown on in the 120s. Y/tgt for the whole season was 10. 828 yards, so his per target numbers were on significant production.
The guy can't catch the ball. Those numbers are just a product of the system and the fact that everyone else commanded more attention. Those numbers are what he should get, given the coverages he saw.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Recently had a baby and His wife is happy here and started her career recently.

plays into it lol
I'm sure but they spent all of one season here so I doubt they are that ingrained locally.
I expect it to come down to numbers but familiarity with MM and such should help.
I just think that WR3 spot is a place you probably gotta steal money to pay your stars top of position deals.

If we are talking a mil difference I could see Cobb staying... but we may well be looking at a Cole Beasley like difference of 5+M and then he is likely gone.
Cole was part of fabric of life here for sure having never lived outside DFW area and being 15 mins from his high school in Celina/Prosper.
Money usually wins out in these deals.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The failure to develop Smith was a crime. But that's what happens on a coaching crew of short-timers playing for their jobs and failing. Nobody is going to give a hoot about developing a player they may not be around to use next year.
It is hard to say what happened exactly with D. Smith but any failure would now be tied to his health and being able to stay game ready.
It isn't like they were giving snaps to elite prospects or good current players over him.
With jobs on the line they were trying to win and if he wasn't the best option for that, that's telling.

All that said perhaps a new WR coach wants to give him another chance based on raw talent alone.
He is still fast.