Twitter: SEA fielding trade offers for Earl Thomas

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
That's not really the question though is it?

The question should be Has there really been a FA in the last few years that would have made us better?

Other legitimate questions would be Is there a good reason to throw away money on players like Nolan Carroll, Cedric Thornton, and Benson Mayowa? Is overpaying your own free agents like Tyrone Crawford and Terrence Williams acceptable?

This, no one else even bidded for Williams. We could have brought him back for a slim jim and RC Cola.

jrumann59

Reaction score
That's not really the question though is it?

The question should be Has there really been a FA in the last few years that would have made us better?

Other legitimate questions would be Is there a good reason to throw away money on players like Nolan Carroll, Cedric Thornton, and Benson Mayowa? Is overpaying your own free agents like Tyrone Crawford and Terrence Williams acceptable?

I have not seen a FA that would have made this team marginally better than its been. I had hopes for Thornton but he was lazy when he got here. I saw the logic behind Carroll even though I thought there were slightly better options. Mayowa is a head scratcher while he has performed admirably he has not outplayed his contract.

As for our own FA, I fault the FO and coaching staff on Crawford. He signed a contract based on flashing as a 3T and they have him playing a position that he sucks at, he was DE when the team switched to the 4-3 and he had zero explosiveness as pass rusher from that position but to his credit he is the best the team has which is more an indictment of the FO. The coaching staff realized he is the best run defender from the RDE position, hopefully maybe Taco gets better and Crawford can be super sub and play all along the line if needed but he is a 3T. TWill's contract extension I do not really see it as a big deal since it was not that much and he is filler type guy all teams have. It could be worse he could have turned into Torrey Smith.

Proof

Reaction score
I wonder that often too. Think it’s cause we kick the can down the road more than most

That’s why previously, now it’s us taking the medicine for those years, along with Dez, Romo and Crawford’s deals. Along with the Thornton, Carroll and Moore’s of the world.

jrumann59

Reaction score
This, no one else even bidded for Williams. We could have brought him back for a slim jim and RC Cola.

Maybe but the other WR in his tier signed some pretty gaudy contracts:

Sanu: five-year, $32.5M deal with $14M guaranteed and a $7M signing bonus after 2015 season
-2015 Statistics: 33 receptions, 394 yards, 0 TD

Travis Benjamin: four-year, $24M deal with $13M guaranteed and a $5M signing bonus.
- 2015 Statistics: 68 receptions, 966 yards, 5 TD

Marvin Jones: five-year, $40M deal with $20M guaranteed and a $8M signing bonus.
-2015 Statistics: 65 receptions, 816 yards, 4 TD

Jones is the only one that has come close to living up to his contract

TWill - 4 year, $17,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $9,500,000 guaranteed

I do not fault him for the contract he signed, it isn't overly out of whack, it could be worse.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Maybe but the other WR in his tier signed some pretty gaudy contracts:

Sanu: five-year, $32.5M deal with $14M guaranteed and a $7M signing bonus after 2015 season
-2015 Statistics: 33 receptions, 394 yards, 0 TD

Travis Benjamin: four-year, $24M deal with $13M guaranteed and a $5M signing bonus.
- 2015 Statistics: 68 receptions, 966 yards, 5 TD

Marvin Jones: five-year, $40M deal with $20M guaranteed and a $8M signing bonus.
-2015 Statistics: 65 receptions, 816 yards, 4 TD

Jones is the only one that has come close to living up to his contract

TWill - 4 year, $17,000,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys, including a $5,000,000 signing bonus, $9,500,000 guaranteed

I do not fault him for the contract he signed, it isn't overly out of whack, it could be worse.

Agree, but they could have gotten lower, was not like he would have said, no I am taking my game to Canada.

jrumann59

Reaction score
If Crawford is your best DL right side, left side or center side, that says alot about your team.
Never said he is the best. He is probably the most well-rounded DL outside of Tank. He plays the run well from the RDE position has a little push. He is guy every team needs and plays wherever the coaches tell him to play. I guess you would prefer him going "diva" and saying I signed contracts as 3T that is all I am playing, a la Greg Ellis

Proof

Reaction score
I have not seen a FA that would have made this team marginally better than its been. I had hopes for Thornton but he was lazy when he got here. I saw the logic behind Carroll even though I thought there were slightly better options. Mayowa is a head scratcher while he has performed admirably he has not outplayed his contract.

As for our own FA, I fault the FO and coaching staff on Crawford. He signed a contract based on flashing as a 3T and they have him playing a position that he sucks at, he was DE when the team switched to the 4-3 and he had zero explosiveness as pass rusher from that position but to his credit he is the best the team has which is more an indictment of the FO. The coaching staff realized he is the best run defender from the RDE position, hopefully maybe Taco gets better and Crawford can be super sub and play all along the line if needed but he is a 3T. TWill's contract extension I do not really see it as a big deal since it was not that much and he is filler type guy all teams have. It could be worse he could have turned into Torrey Smith.

Weddle, Poe, Snacks, Woodhead,Long, Alshon and that’s just ten seconds of thinking. If I looked through lists the past few years I’m sure I could make a pretty damning list. That’s not even touching marquee guys

jrumann59

Reaction score
Agree, but they could have gotten lower, was not like he would have said no I am taking my game to Canada.

See I do not thinks so. After the salary floor rules were put into place it really caused player values to inflate because too many teams were throwing money around like drunken sailors to get to the floor. so avg talent was getting paid more than its worth and the whole scale goes wonky

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Weddle, Poe, Snacks, Woodhead,Long, Alshon and that’s just ten seconds of thinking. If I looked through lists the past few years I’m sure I could make a pretty damning list. That’s not even touching marquee guys

LLLOOLLL

jrumann59

Reaction score
Besides Snacks, everyone on that list had warts, mostly injury warts.

Proof

Reaction score
Besides Snacks, everyone on that list had warts, mostly injury warts.

Of course. I’m not saying “this is what we should have done”

Just that there are always players available who could have really helped the team. It’s just dismissive and apologetic to say “there haven’t been any players who could have pushed us over the hump”

jrumann59

Reaction score
Of course. I’m not saying “this is what we should have done”

Just that there are always players available who could have really helped the team. It’s just dismissive and apologetic to say “there haven’t been any players who could have pushed us over the hump”

Made the team better, yes, but none of those would have pushed the team over the hump.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
May have already been mentioned but the latest reports are the Seahawks are no longer looking to trade Thomas.

jrumann59

Reaction score
May have already been mentioned but the latest reports are the Seahawks are no longer looking to trade Thomas.

I am willing to bet if someone gives them a good offer like a high 2nd and maybe a4th they would take it.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
HAs there really been a FA in the last few years worth backing up a brinks truck for?
I would have liked to see what happened with Calaous Cambell on our D Line last season, instead of Jacksonville's. He wasn't cheap, but well worth it to them.

jday

Reaction score
A 2nd or 3rd for a guy who would be the best player on your defense and possibly your team. Uhhhhh.Its a no brainer
Make no mistake, they will want more than just 1 pick for Earl...and if you say a 2nd and a 3rd, you are right...that is a no brainer...

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Why are we the only team in cap hell each year, when other teams do it but are never stuck in hell like us?
Because it is all a lie

We create space as needed to look cap poor...... if we did it all at once we would have 50m in space and fans would demand we spend it

SJones doesn't want to spend it.....he wants to draft his team and extend a few homegrown guys