Twitter: SEA fielding trade offers for Earl Thomas

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with you. I don't even entertain all these other moves like for Suh or for Jarvis Landry or whoever is the name of the moment. But Earl Thomas makes enough sense that I'd entertain it. And getting now to a contract would still end around the time its time to give Dak and Zeke a new contract....

Earl Thomas is the type of move that gets the Cowboys excited. He feels a void.....still is 29 years old....I believe has 2 years left on his deal.

they will make the phone call. The asking price is going to be whether we get him or not.
EThomas is a game changer for this D

With the new SEA coach and a bunch of young guys he is a perfect match

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't think the Browns would?

For one year? No. Absolutely not. If any team is looking at the long play, it's the Browns. Everything they've done is to acquire more picks down the road, not giving them up for one-year rentals.

I don't think Seattle cares whether or not they send Earl Thomas to who he wants to play for. They may. They may want to leave on good terms with Earl Thomas.......but if there's a 3 or 4 team battle for Earl.....I think they are personally taking the best draft pick or deal.

Seattle might not, but any team thinking of giving up that level of draft pick would.

Nobody's giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a one year rental.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I’d give the 3 but Stephen will get cute thinking no one will trade for him and he will sign here for less than his current contract.
Afterall it’s not about getting better, it’s about saving money

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm in agreement with you. I don't even entertain all these other moves like for Suh or for Jarvis Landry or whoever is the name of the moment. But Earl Thomas makes enough sense that I'd entertain it. And getting now to a contract would still end around the time its time to give Dak and Zeke a new contract....

Earl Thomas is the type of move that gets the Cowboys excited. He feels a void.....still is 29 years old....I believe has 2 years left on his deal.

they will make the phone call. The asking price is going to be whether we get him or not.

I believe it's just one more year under contract for him, but if someone has other information?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Just another chance for the team to ignore a no brainer chance to improve the team with a great player at a position of need who actually would love to be a Cowboy. These are the chances that come along that Dallas ignores but Philly takes advantage of.

See my post above. Stephen will be convinced he can out smart everyone and save $ at the same time

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's under contract, no? You get that contract in a trade.

Yeah, but he's in his final year. So if you give up what he's worth to get him here, you probably want him locked up as part of the deal. That's in SEA's best interest, anyway. Otherwise he's worth little in terms of compensation and they're better off just keeping him for his play, even in a rebuilding year.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Just another chance for the team to ignore a no brainer chance to improve the team with a great player at a position of need who actually would love to be a Cowboy. These are the chances that come along that Dallas ignores but Philly takes advantage of.

yep.Philly went all in when they realised they had a championship team,we just sit on our hands.

gmoney112

Reaction score
If the value is worth it, easy play for me.

Top tier safeties can play for a while.

Contract isn't a concern for me, we'll have Awuzie, Lewis, and Brown on rookie contracts. And that doesn't count any draft picks this year or next.

Get one of the best safeties in football, and you're still probably underpaying the secondary as a whole to league average.

marius

Reaction score
give they 3rd pick this year and 3rd pick next year and OScan for him, ASAP... and spend the remaining picks on other positions.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With his injury history and age.....I would say he's not going to demand big dollars. But at the same time....why wouldn't a team that needs to spend their cap space give him big money? That's what you are going to be betting against. A team with better draft picks than us and with more salary cap space .

Yep, that's the most likely possibility. Plus, we're in the NFC, too. SEA probably would prefer he go to the AFC.

But sometimes teams do favors for players like this. If the place he wants to go is in the running, rather than trading him someplace for a year and having him come here in FA next offseason, just let him get on with his life where he wants to go if the compensation is at least comparable.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I’d give up one of our fourth this year and a pick next year based on his playing time

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I believe it's just one more year under contract for him, but if someone has other information?

EThomas is a game changer for this D

With the new SEA coach and a bunch of young guys he is a perfect match

I agree. It makes too much sense. The compensation though. Seahawks are going to have to be realistic about what they can get for him though.

Oh ok I thought someone in here said 2. That's even better.

I think another aspect is that he's expressed interest in playing for the Cowboys. If I'm a team that's not named the Cowboys.....I'm not trading for a potential disgruntled player....at least not trading anything higher than a 4th.

For one year? No. Absolutely not. If any team is looking at the long play, it's the Browns. Everything they've done is to acquire more picks down the road, not giving them up for one-year rentals.

Seattle might not, but any team thinking of giving up that level of draft pick would.

Nobody's giving up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a one year rental.

I don't know about that. We have to remember that the Browns have to spend salary. Jaguars use to be the bad team that would sign guys to ridiculous contracts because they had to spend that money. Browns are going to be in that boat.

A second round pick no....but a 4th rounder? I don't see why the Browns or anyone of that ilk wouldn't do it. I think Seattle would also rather see Earl play for a AFC team as opposed to a NFC team as well. But they are also in no position to get picky about what they get for him in return.

I really wish you guys would quit using the EAgirls as a benchmark for what this team should or shouldn't do. I mean goodness. Props to their championship....the Cowboys don't need to concern themselves with what they did. EAgirls didn't trade for anyone last offseason especially a Earl Thomas. This is a completely different type of move that needs to happen.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yep, that's the most likely possibility. Plus, we're in the NFC, too. SEA probably would prefer he go to the AFC.

But sometimes teams do favors for players like this. If the place he wants to go is in the running, rather than trading him someplace for a year and having him come here in FA next offseason, just let him get on with his life where he wants to go if the compensation is at least comparable.

I agree with you on all accounts. The AFC/NFC thing is another factor.

Seattle may do him a favor. They may let him pick who he wants to go to. But if someone offers a price they can't refuse....I Think Seattle is going to take that compensation over a 4th rounder.

conner01

Reaction score
That's the key part of the equation to me.
That’s the key
You can give a draft pick in the 3rd or 4th without signing him to a contract which will be probably 4 years and I know he said he wants to come here but don’t know that it will keep him from wanting to get paid what he thinks he worth
I believe he has two years left on his contract now but if you extended him those numbers could drop some